PDA

View Full Version : Creating a training plan

SwimMann
March 8th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I just got done swimming a meet this weekend, swam it with less than appropriate training. My next meet is 19 weeks away, I'm going to focus on the 100yd FS (Still shooting for under 1:01)/100 BK (Goal is 1:10) /100 FL (goal is 1:07; swam a 1:10)

I plan on swimming at least 5x a week, lifting weights 2-3x a week (lifting for strength/power [compound movements]), and doing some dry-land cardio at least once a week.

How would you train?

SKO
March 8th, 2009, 11:25 PM
dont know what the best way to do this is, but what i've been doing is

MWF - swim in the morning, weight lift at night
tuesday - go for a run followed by a short swim session
saturday swim in the morning/early afternoon (depending what i did the night before :))

thurs and sunday off

pwb
March 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Can you give us a little background as to where you are now relative to those goal times and what kind of training you have been doing?

Without any knowledge of you in particular, I'd focus on three things in this order:

technique
technique
technique

Seriously, all of the conditioning we're all doing needs to be done while ideally imprinting the right "muscle memory." I'm still learning (& re-learning) so much about technique and I realize the greatest gains when I'm maximizing my focus on technique.

SwimMann
March 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Didn't swim club/high school/college and don't have a masters team to swim with. Background is in running/basketball. Have been too about 6-8 meets. I have gotten some compliments on my stroke(s) from swimmers at these meets; some very fast swimmers. One thing I plan on doing is watching more elite swimmers and trying to emulate their technique.

From the meet this weekend:

(in SCY)

100 IM (1:12; PR'd by 2 seconds)

100 FS (1:04)

100 FL (1:13; took it really conservative 2nd time swimming it; I kinda like it---people said my fly looked good but I didn't have enough turnover)

100 BK (1:15 is my PR but that was from about 2 years ago)

qbrain
March 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Without any knowledge of you in particular, I'd focus on three things in this order:

technique
technique
technique

LOL, but great advice. I think I will take it too.

If you are not already lifting, I suggest you start here. http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ That should get you started, and at the end of your 19 weeks, you should be ready for a more advanced program. Start really light, concentrated on form and in 16 weeks you will be lifting a lot of weight. If you start with the bar, and progress consistently, you will sqaut 285 and bench 165 before you need to taper.

I don't think the Lezak plan is a good for someone who isn't already lifting regularly.

As for swimming 5x/week. Join a team. The instruction, workouts, and competition will all be beneficial. If you cannot join a team, go into the workouts section, and see if you can find 19 weeks of training with lots of IM that ends with a 3 week taper. Training hard 5x/week will be very hard alone. If you can make a team workout a few times and workout on your own a few times, you will have a much easier time.

Good luck, and pwbrundage is giving good advice. Your stroke might look good now, but it can be better.

greenpeas
March 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
This all good advise.

I would also look for a swim partner. Swimming against the clock is good, but actually swimming with someone who pushes you in practice to make all those split times is one of the best things for me.

Look for other people swimming at the same times you do, or grab someone from the last meet you went to.

Good luck!

And for never swimming in your past, your times are great!:applaud: