PDA

View Full Version : The 500...what I am thinkin

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM
In order to shove a sock in Geek's constantly open mouth, I am entering the 500 at St. Patty's meet in Atlanta.

As I debated about it, I keep remembering all the reason I hate this race...which are many. Besides the fact that I haven't raced this even since college(where I had too), I haven't found one good reason to swim it until now.

Geek's constant belittling of my swimming ability has convinced me to enter the 500. Do I have a goal time, nope. Do I care if I break 5 minutes again, nope. All I want to do is finish the 500, so I can tell Geek that he can no longer say anything about my lack of desire to race events over 200 meters/yards.

Now, if Geek will step to swim the 200 backstroke? He is probably more mouth than man.

In all honesty, I am glad he has egged me on, otherwise, I probably wouldn't ever swim the dang event again...so Thanks Geek.

Now, if I can remember how to swim it in the next 3 weeks.

aquageek
March 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I will never swim the 200 back, the 100 back almost put me in a coma. I will continue to mock you.

When you hit puberty, step up to the 1000.

pwolf66
March 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM

My recommended course of action is:

1) Step up to the block when your heat receives the long whistle
2) Dive in when you hear the beep
3) Stroke, Stroke, Breathe until you reach the wall then flip
4) Repeat #3 until counter board shows 2 orange or red panels.
5) Stroke,stroke, breathe until some part of your body touches the wall
6) Promise your self you will never do this again.

But that's just me.

pwb
March 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM

There's one sure way you'll always remember #6: pretend the 500 is a 50 and sprint like hell until the piano drops. I guarantee you'll never forget it.

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I will never swim the 200 back, the 100 back almost put me in a coma. I will continue to mock you.

When you hit puberty, step up to the 1000.

When you get out of diapers, swim the 200 back. I will get you a pacifier the next time I see you.

CreamPuff
March 9th, 2009, 11:56 AM
So glad I saw this post. I have a very easy solution.

1. Swimming the 500 will not be a sufficient sock for Geek's mouth. If you swim the 1000 and 200 fly as well. . . then perhaps the sock may fit.

I may see you there (I entered.) If you are looking to break 5:00 (which it looks like you could based on your :59 100 back time), then you should be ahead of me by almost a lap in the 500.

2. Strategy: None. We race eachother. I entered w/ a 5:12. You'll be at an advantage (other than the obvious - you are a guy) b/c I won't be tapered for this and my line up for the previous day is the 1000 FR, 200 Fly, 50 FR and 50 Fly. I should be dead come Sunday.

Good times!

jim clemmons
March 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM
..., I haven't found one good reason to swim it until now.

Just remember, "the :bow: 500 is your friend".

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
So glad I saw this post. I have a very easy solution.

1. Swimming the 500 will not be a sufficient sock for Geek's mouth. If you swim the 1000 and 200 fly as well. . . then perhaps the sock may fit.

I may see you there (I entered.) If you are looking to break 5:00 (which it looks like you could based on your :59 100 back time), then you should be ahead of me by almost a lap in the 500.

2. Strategy: None. We race eachother. I entered w/ a 5:12. You'll be at an advantage b/c I won't be tapered for this and my line up for the previous day is the 1000 FR, 200 Fly, 50 FR and 50 Fly. I should be dead come Sunday.

Good times!

1) You are nuts! I will not swim the 1000 or 200 fly...did enough of that in h/s and college.

2) Not looking to break 5 minutes....just to finish the distance.

3) I have no idea what I will go...nor do I care. I don't train for the distance...just doing this to prove to that blabber mouth that I can swim more than a 200.

aquageek
March 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'll just warn you that lining up next to She-Manpuff is a bad idea.

Oh, and if you don't break 6 minutes, best to sell belongings and leave town.

CreamPuff
March 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM
2) Not looking to break 5 minutes....just to finish the distance.

3) I have no idea what I will go...nor do I care. I don't train for the distance...just doing this to prove to that blabber mouth that I can swim more than a 200.

LOL - of course you will finish. I'll go out on a limb and state that based on your very speedy 100 bk time.

Even better! Times take care of themselves when you have some good competition to race! Should be some pretty fast people there.

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I'll just warn you that lining up next to She-Manpuff is a bad idea.

Oh, and if you don't break 6 minutes, best to sell belongings and leave town.

I will agree on both statements

Karen Duggan
March 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Wookie- I have a bouncy seat and swing I'm looking to get rid of, do you have Geek's address? :D

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Wookie- I have a bouncy seat and swing I'm looking to get rid of, do you have Geek's address? :D

I think we can get it sent to him. Do you have any used diapers for him?:)

srcoyote
March 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
There's one sure way you'll always remember #6: pretend the 500 is a 50 and sprint like hell until the piano drops. I guarantee you'll never forget it.

Say, that was my strategy back in the age group days. It's what i used in the 400 IM as well. I always figured I didn't swim hard enough if I wasn't blacking out while trying to climb out of the pool at the end.

And I don't think there is any taunt, extortion, bribe, threat, or other coercion that could induce me to swim 200 yards of backstroke in a row.

greenpeas
March 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM
What are you talking about, sprints and distance are all doable.
Now the 200 (of anything, even free) .... is it worth not being able to breathe at the end?

CreamPuff
March 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM
What are you talking about, sprints and distance are all doable.
Now the 200 (of anything, even free) .... is it worth not being able to breathe at the end?

So true! 200s of anything are killer. I can fake 2 laps and loaf/coast distance. There is nowhere to hide in a 200.

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM
So true! 200s of anything are killer. I can fake 2 laps and loaf/coast distance. There is nowhere to hide in a 200.

That's why I love the 200 free/back

chaos
March 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
if we let geek shame us into doing things we prefer not to; how long until we are caught naked, chug-a-lugging r.c. cola and barking at the moon?

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
if we let geek shame us into doing things we prefer not to; how long until we are caught naked, chug-a-lugging r.c. cola and barking at the moon?

I'd do that without being shamed into it.....

aquageek
March 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
For the record, chaos isn't afraid to swim distances over 200 yards either, wookie.

chaos
March 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM
i don't think anything less than 500 yards is worth the $5 event fee.

for 50's and 100's: i think these races should be timed with a suit donning transition. (thats one sure way to bring the brief back into fashion)

poolraat
March 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Now you have me wondering if I was insane to enter the 200 back at SCY Nationals. Since it's my 6th event, maybe I'll get lucky and it will get tossed.

The Fortress
March 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
just doing this to prove to that blabber mouth that I can swim more than a 200.

The blabber mouth could be on my case 24/7 and I'd never swim this event. Way to give in to peer pressure, John.

jim clemmons
March 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Now you have me wondering if I was insane to enter the 200 back at SCY Nationals. Since it's my 6th event, maybe I'll get lucky and it will get tossed.

You're outta luck, raat. They've got too many lanes to be cancelling events. Get to gettin, you've got about 8 weeks now.

CreamPuff
March 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM
how long until we are caught naked, chug-a-lugging r.c. cola and barking at the moon?

Normal Tuesday night for some of us. . .

That Guy
March 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The blabber mouth could be on my case 24/7 and I'd never swim this event. Way to give in to peer pressure, John.

All the cool kids have these monofins.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=dolphin-inspired-man-made-fin

I'm afraid we are forced to shun you until you get one.

The Fortress
March 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
All the cool kids have these monofins.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=dolphin-inspired-man-made-fin

I'm afraid we are forced to shun you until you get one.

Someone posted that on my blog! So cool .. 33 mph ... great for speed junkies. Now, I could be mocked into doing an OW swim with that device.

That Guy
March 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Can't hear you. Shunning. :)

aquageek
March 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I bet even Wookie is surprised by the number of people who have jumped on the "Wookie is a wussy" bandwagon in this thread.

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I bet even Wookie is surprised by the number of people who have jumped on the "Wookie is a wussy" bandwagon in this thread.

Not as surprised as you will be when I put my boot up your a$$

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM

It's ok. Least I have enough balls to step to swim an event I don't like, unlike aquabum. He won't swim a 200 back...oh wait, cause he would lose to you again.

aquageek
March 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM
We need a button on this forum for abuse. I'm reporting you to the fourm police and the Hair Club for Men, for excessive body hair.

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 08:30 PM
We need a button on this forum for abuse. I'm reporting you to the fourm police and the Hair Club for Men, for excessive body hair.

You would have been reported WAY before I ever became a member

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hair Club for Men, for excessive body hair.

Your jealous...women have something to run their fingers through...

thewookiee
March 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM
i don't think anything less than 500 yards is worth the $5 event fee.

for 50's and 100's: i think these races should be timed with a suit donning transition. (thats one sure way to bring the brief back into fashion)

See, I have just the opposite feeling. Any even that requires someone else to count for you is just wrong. If it is that great a distance, takes away energy from swimming to understand the number just put in the water, then it shouldn't be on the program. Any event long enough for you to think during, is too long.

bergsteiger
March 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I am swimming both the 500 free and 200 back at the Atlanta meet but I certainly won't be near 5 minutes in the 500! I assure you it is probably equally painful for me though :) Good luck to you, Wookie.

Doug Adamavich
March 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Here is an idea, swim a 500 without going to a meet! I created a postal event called the Phoenix 500 Postal where anybody can swim the 500 free, in any pool, at any time during short course yards season (now until 05/31). Nobody will call you a wuss or coward if you don't do this event but it is an easy way to swim a competition event without traveling to a competition.

So why don't we all man-up and do this event?

OK, ladies you can step-up too :)

Maybe all the testosterone on this thread can get directed in a constructive manner...:applaud:

Go to www.phoenix500postal.com and sign-up for this event. Go ahead, I double dog dare you!

Happy swimming everybody!

thewookiee
March 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Maybe all the testosterone on this thread can get directed in a constructive manner...:applaud:

What fun would that be? :)

thewookiee
March 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I am swimming both the 500 free and 200 back at the Atlanta meet but I certainly won't be near 5 minutes in the 500! I assure you it is probably equally painful for me though :) Good luck to you, Wookie.

Thanks Jacob. I don't know where the idea of going under 5 started. That's not my goal. The goal is just to race the event, get a time and move on. Speaking of which...I gotta find a counter for the race...GEEZ.

Paul Smith
March 10th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks Jacob. I don't know where the idea of going under 5 started. That's not my goal. The goal is just to race the event, get a time and move on. Speaking of which...I gotta find a counter for the race...GEEZ.

John, haven't you figured it out yet? Around here YOUR goals are unimportant...OUR's are what matters most.

Love the 500!
Hate 50's
Never have really figured out the 100
The 200 free is THE race of truth!

Michelina
March 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM
My recommended course of action is:

1) Step up to the block when your heat receives the long whistle
2) Dive in when you hear the beep
3) Stroke, Stroke, Breathe until you reach the wall then flip
4) Repeat #3 until counter board shows 2 orange or red panels.
5) Stroke,stroke, breathe until some part of your body touches the wall

But that's just me.

I heart you big tree!

pwolf66
March 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I heart you big tree!

Indy is toooooooo faaaaaaaar awaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :badday: