PDA

View Full Version : For how long time can you swim non-stop?

ddl
March 9th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'm curious for how long can each of you swim continuously. I think this is crucial for survival if you are in some accidents. Of course this is related to how long distance you can swim, but I'm interested to know the time length. Can you swim continuously for 2, 3, 4,... hours?

ddl
March 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
While no one is replying, I found the world-record (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_has_the_record_for_the_longest_swim_in_the_wor ld):

"In 2001 Martin Strel swam 504 KM or 312 miles down the Danube river. He covered the distance in 84 hours 10 minutes of nonstop swimming."

How could that be? 84 hours nonstop?! :confused: If he could do that, how could he stop then?!

That Guy
March 10th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Maybe he wore a wetsuit and slept in a lifevest? He was going downstream so the current would move him along whether he was awake or not. :dunno:

letsrace
March 10th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I was once asked by a friend this same question. My reply to her was "how long can you walk?"

As one becomes experienced with swimming, they learn that they can move in the water with about as little energy as walking.

Things like food and water would certainly limit both walking and swimming for long periods of time.

Mc Yummy
March 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
the longest i've tried was 3,000 meters, 1.5 hours

smontanaro
March 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
My longest swim was my first postal 10k, about 3h20m. Of course, I did get to take in water and calories (goo gel type stuff).

ViveBene
March 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
While no one is replying, I found the world-record (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_has_the_record_for_the_longest_swim_in_the_wor ld):

"In 2001 Martin Strel swam 504 KM or 312 miles down the Danube river. He covered the distance in 84 hours 10 minutes of nonstop swimming."

How could that be? 84 hours nonstop?! :confused: If he could do that, how could he stop then?!

I believe he swims sizable rivers (he swam the Amazon) downstream. Perhaps on a nice day he could simply roll onto his back and catch 40 winks. (This is speculation on my part, of course.)

Has anyone read his book on swimming the Amazon?