PDA

View Full Version : Dryland to complement my new routine..

BigBrother
March 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hey all. So I'd started seriously swimming recently to try and build my physique. I am admittedly not swimming for times or competition, but solely for fitness. I'm going off of The Fit Swimmer: 120 Workouts by Marianne Brems. I'm up to the Intermediate Phase (~2100 y per workout) and can see myself getting to Advanced (~3200) in good time. I'm swimming about 3-4 times per week. I'm built quite lean and am 160 lbs., 5'10".

The thing is though, as I've been doing more research and poking around, it seems like weight training is an unmistakable component for a lot of men's swim team's routines, as is other dry work, I'm sure.

So.. on my current trajectory I would be getting to 3200y per evening, but I'm not sure if that will be enough to get into the shape I'm looking for. To give you an idea, I work out at my local college and it's the men's team swimmers that made me first want to get into this, goal-wise. So, do you think I need to start augmenting my swimming with weights and other work? I just have no idea if swimming alone will help me get there. I think I'm seeing diminishing returns but I don't know if it will get more productive as my training lengths increase.

So, thoughts? Should I work in dryland? And if so, what book or guide specifically would you recommend? I do best off of books and structured programs over just "work in some weights" ;) So something geared toward swimmers with a defined structure would be ideal.

What do you all think?

qbrain
March 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hey BigBrother,

Make sure you are taking care of things nutrition wise. If you goal is to get in shape, exercise burns the calories, but you have to be aware of the calories you are putting into your body.

This is what I recommend to address your desire to lift.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

It is not swimming specific, it is general strength training and I think it is a better place to start than a program like Lezak's, which is more targeted to swimmers. You need a strong base and a good understanding of your capabilities in the weight room before trying to tackle a more advanced plan.

Now, I don't know anything about you, so if you look at the 5x5 plan and think it is too boring or too simple, than you are going to need more help coming up with a plan that will work for you. I can tell you from experience that the 5x5 plan will make you much stronger before you start to level off, it is an easy routine to learn, and it is an easy routine to stick with.

Good luck.

BigBrother
March 10th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Interesting. Without getting into a PhD thesis here on nutrition :), can you elaborate on what you mean re: calories? Right now, I eat vegetables every morning in addition to my usual eggs and protein. Then, for lunch and dinner, I basically pack away as much as I can, generally very protein heavy. I must say though I don't monitor fat intake because I am an *extremely* hard gainer. I need to eat a LOT to make any gains in weight, so my philosophy beyond morning veggies is just "as much as I can of whatever I can", excluding a lot of sweets. I just eat a lot. That's about it.

My % body fat right now is around 12. My goal was going to be to get up to about 165-170 lbs., then cut down on the number of calories and keep the same level of exercise to burn down the fat.

Assuming you're a very fast burner like me, if you're consuming a lot of fat along with the protein, will it actually *hinder* muscle growth? I always assumed it wouldn't affect bulk, i.e. muscle building will happen if the protein is there, and you'll have to worry about fat on its own terms. In other words, you won't get cut eating whatever you want, but you will gain muscle just the same.

Oh, also, to clarify "whatever you want", I'm not talking Doritos and Snickers here. I'm talking walking into a restaurant, and chowing down on the food you like- so usually after a workout I'm, for example, ordering two dishes at a chinese place, with rice, eating a lot, or similar at an Indian restaurant, etc.