PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Replacement

jnshuhn
March 10th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I read a posting from 2003 from someone facing shoulder replacement but no replies. So . . . lets try it again. I have bone on bone and have been told I will need to have replacement surgery if I want to continue swimming. Has anyone had a replacement or know someone who has and who are swimmers? I'll have to qualify the word "swimmer" as my swimming is limited to freestyle. I started this madness called swimming 8 years ago when I decided I wanted to do a triathlon. Now, thanks to I bunch of great real swimmers in my masters swim group, I actually like swimming. I hate to think my days of doing triathlons are over because of a stupid shoulder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

orca1946
March 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Dr Charlie Rockwood in San Antonio Texas is the Guru of shoulders. My wife has had 7 shoulder operations on both. He will be the one she picks to replace when the time comes. Good luck.

jnshuhn
March 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. It seems all the medical journals and studies indicate people do return to swimming after shoulder replacement. In fact, some studies indicated it was one of the top reasons people had shoulder replacements. However, non of them provide any information on the level of swimming after replacement. It's one thing to do a few laps at the local pool and another thing to stroke 3,500 times at an Ironman triathlon.

I'll keep look and, if I find an answer, I'll post it.

orca1946
March 19th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Good luck. I hope you continue to swim without pain for a long time!:applaud: