PDA

View Full Version : Where to swim in Rome?

mctrusty
March 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
My wife and I will be in Rome (Map to our location) (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=VIA+PIEMONTE+63,+Rome+&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=42.310334,77.871094&ie=UTF8&ll=41.905727,12.502613&spn=0.077932,0.152092&z=13&iwloc=addr) from March 23 - 29. Does anyone have any information on good places to swim/clubs to work out with in that area?

I have been googling a bit and checking out the Italian masters site listed on USMS's "places to swim" but it'd be helpful to hear from people that have swum there.

Thanks!

mazzy
March 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Well, just around your hotel it'll be hard to find some decent pool. It's a business district and in Italy swimming is mainly a kids/teenagers activity, so your best bet to find a standard 25m pool is to look for a Club affiliate with the National Swimming Federation.

This is the link with the 2009 List for Rome.
http://www.federnuoto.it/federazione.asp?azione=ricerca&p=scuolenuoto&stagione=2008&societa=&cod_comitato=LAZ&citta=roma&cap=&area=nuoto

mctrusty
March 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Mazzy!

I'll check through that list to see if there is something I'll be able to get to.

Betsy
March 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I swam at a health/sports club (I think it was Rome Sports Club) in the Villa Borghese park. I had a list of pools and workouts that I showed to the concierge in my hotel. He only knew this place and called for me. It was expensive, 26 Euro for a day pass. I could have stayed all day and used the gym and other amenities, but I just wanted to swim. I went during lap swim. I was the fastest in the pool, but everyone was very polite and cooperative. I was careful on turns not to run over anyone and after awhile, the two men in my lane started stopping at the turns to let me pass. We were in Rome a week and swimming was a great adventure. No one spoke English, but I managed with my meager Italian. I swam and used the hot tub; I wished I had command of the language to have a conversation in the hot tub!
I wasn't sure exactly where the club was, so I took a taxi there and walked back to my hotel. I felt so good and enjoyed it so much it was worth the price!