PDA

View Full Version : What suit to wear at SC nationals?

bkbain
March 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Ive warn pretty much every suit. So far the FS pro highneck has been the one that feels faster to me. Anyone warn a lzr or nero comp? Would it be worth it to buy one of these or stick with the fs pro?
Thanks

Kurt Dickson
March 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Certainly sounds like it's worth it if you got the cash. I myself bought another leg only FS Pro as I am poor and may be found begging in the streets at Clovis.

tjrpatt
March 11th, 2009, 09:22 AM
If you have the dough, buy the B70. I just got a TYR Tracer jammer(with a discount code that I got from that Win a Tracer contestant) because I don't want to put money out that I don't have for a B70 right now. Maybe this summer if my finances get better!(Cross my fingers, knock on wood, etc.)

thewookiee
March 11th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I like the FS Pro. It's pretty comfortable once you get it on. Aquazone makes a suit similar to B70, but less expensive. It's called the Renegade.

bkbain
March 11th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I like the FS Pro. It's pretty comfortable once you get it on. Aquazone makes a suit similar to B70, but less expensive. It's called the Renegade.

Humm... havent heard of that one yet. Might look into it thought.

Ive put aside some money to get eighter suit so I want to have the fastest one out there.

thewookiee
March 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Humm... havent heard of that one yet. Might look into it thought.

Ive put aside some money to get eighter suit so I want to have the fastest one out there.

The suits are about the same...it's who's wearing them that makes them fast

bkbain
March 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM
The suits are about the same...it's who's wearing them that makes them fast

True... just tring to get some personal best times before they ban all of them.

pwb
March 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I like the B70, but you'll have to shop around to find one now.

I'm going a non-taper meet this weekend and swimming four events. I'm going to try four different suits to see how I feel they compare:

B70
Speedo FSPro full body
Old "paper suit" jammers from Arena that I bought back in 2003
Speedo Endurance jammers

When it comes to jammers, I'm not sure there's a lot of extra value in scaling up the technology and paying more. I imagine that I'll feel just as fast in my cheap endurance jammers as I would in any other jammers.

For full body suits, I think you'll need to try different suits. A lot of people like the B70, but a lot also like the FSPro. I still haven't come around to liking my FSPro, but will try to learn to love it this weekend.

bkbain
March 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I like the B70, but you'll have to shop around to find one now.

I'm going a non-taper meet this weekend and swimming four events. I'm going to try four different suits to see how I feel they compare:

B70
Speedo FSPro full body
Old "paper suit" jammers from Arena that I bought back in 2003
Speedo Endurance jammers
When it comes to jammers, I'm not sure there's a lot of extra value in scaling up the technology and paying more. I imagine that I'll feel just as fast in my cheap endurance jammers as I would in any other jammers.

For full body suits, I think you'll need to try different suits. A lot of people like the B70, but a lot also like the FSPro. I still haven't come around to liking my FSPro, but will try to learn to love it this weekend.

You might be able to tell a difference in the jammer. There were some videos on floswimming about the new suits. It said the main benefit on the suit in a sprint event is the buoyancy. Ive heard the b70 can hold up 4 lbs when the rest only hold up about 1. Pretty interesting info....
I wanted to see what everyone elses opinion was. I think if you are confident in your suit you will swim fast. So if you step on the block confident in the fsi then its a good suit for you.

But honestly I want to try one of these newer plasticy suits incase they ban them.

pwb
March 11th, 2009, 03:25 PM
But honestly I want to try one of these newer plasticy suits incase they ban them.

Then, get a B70. It is my preferred suit. And, the only reason I'm experimenting with other suits is because:
* I spent the money on the FSPro last year, but never competed in it.
* Finding a B70 now is hard (but not impossible).
* I want to "preserve" my B70 for 6 or so key swims at my taper meets this year.

jim clemmons
March 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Then, get a B70. It is my preferred suit. And, the only reason I'm experimenting with other suits is because:
* I spent the money on the FSPro last year, but never competed in it.
* Finding a B70 now is hard (but not impossible).
* I want to "preserve" my B70 for 6 or so key swims at my taper meets this year.

I was watching boy's Wisconsin state HS champs on cable the other night. 3 hours of swimming. Can't figure out why we can't get more at other times of the year but I digress.

Seemed as though a quarter of the kids were wearing B70's and a quarter in LZR's so I think I've figured out why there's a shortage, at least.

Your B70 will last somewhere between 50 and 100 swims, tapered or otherwise, I predict.

chowmi
March 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Price and availability aside, consider logistics as well. Nationals is a bit dicey if your events are spaced. That's a really long time to be in one suit. So either you should be able to take it off/put it on if it's dry enough, or consider your A event and B event of the day and have multiple suits.

Also go back and read Ande's advice on meet prep/backup of equipment. The only thing I disagreed with is having sissors or any sharp objects anywhere near my race suits, so I made sure the straps were all cut off and everything was race-ready before I packed.

If you have multiple identical suits, I highly recommend labeling with permanent ink - my race suits have a white built-in label area inside so I put "1" and "2" on them. Now that I think about it, i'm going to write "Chow" on that label, too!

Allen Stark
March 11th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Definitely B-70 or LZR(unless you are a 60-64 BR swimmer in which case wear a wool suit.):bolt:

Muppet
March 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
my recommendation: charcoal w/ pinstripe 3-piece

pwolf66
March 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
my recommendation: charcoal w/ pinstripe 3-piece

in FRESNO?????

ande
March 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I plan to wear a Blue Seventy Nero Comp (http://tinyurl.com/6dcwha) at Nationals

These articles might be helpful:

Tip 201 Which Suit Suits you? More info On Racing Suits

Tip 214 Even More On Racing Suits

Tip 247 Get your Gear When Meets Draw Near

I think the Speedo Pro (http://tinyurl.com/yu2hwd) is the best most affordable tech suit.

I also recommend the Speedo Pro full body for women (http://tinyurl.com/264te8)
some women have a tough time getting it past their thighs & hips

ps Michelle, I keep the scissors in my doc bag. Use them carefully on tech suits.

jim clemmons
March 13th, 2009, 10:54 AM
some women have a tough time getting it past their thighs & hips

Careful Ande - this could be considered as treading on thin ice.

ande
March 13th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I was just stating a fact I've heard from a few of our fine feminine friends, but I probably already broke through and the current swept me under thicker ice. HELP!

Careful Ande - this could be considered as treading on thin ice.

The Fortress
March 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I was just stating a fact I've heard from a few of our fine feminine friends, but I probably already broke through and the current swept me under thicker ice. HELP!

Pros and B70s are admittedly very hard to get over thighs and *sses. No harm done whatsoever, Ande. I gave myself some bruises getting my newest tech suit on. (Though I understand this propensity to bruising reflects my slight anemia.)

Now, a somewhat stretched out B70 is just fine. :)

bkbain
March 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM
well im thinking the b70 but want to wait and see what happens in the fina meeting today

bkbain
March 15th, 2009, 12:39 AM
so will the b70 be legal for nationals?

jim clemmons
March 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
so will the b70 be legal for nationals?

Yes.