PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide what to swim at a meet?

flippergirl
March 11th, 2009, 02:31 PM
My first race (for all intended puposes) last month I did the 1000 free first thing and then got asked to do a relay and when I went to do the event I wanted to do my best, the 50 free I was exhausted. I don't know yet whether I am a sprinter or long distance. I have a relatively fast free and I have decent endurance for my age (52 female). I like the breast stroke but confused...old stlye verses new style so it is a bit ify. Havn't done much back because of rotar cuff problem,but is better. I can do all the strokes though. The 50 free is toward the end of the race and I just have to do something else? What should I do? The first race is the 500 free. There is no 1000.
Any suggestion would be helpful. It's the Devil Splash in Durham.
Flipper:confused::confused::confused:

knelson
March 11th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I'd say just do whatever tickles your fancy at the moment. Don't feel obligated to only do events that you consider to be your best events. Doing the same events all the time gets boring!

pwb
March 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I agree with Kirk. Pick 3 to 5 events in a meet, depending upon how long the meet is likely to be and how ambitious you want to be; space them out and just get times. Experiment with different events over the first few meets to see what you like, what you can handle in a meet and then go from there. Meets are supposed to be fun, so choose events that you think you'll have fun in.

aquageek
March 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I have a complex system that I will not divulge as it will expose me further.

flippergirl
March 11th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Meets definitely have me hooked so far. I guess there is a whole new world opening to me like a kid in an ice cream store. Not just vanilla and chocolate. Right, gotta try new things.

Rykno
March 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
when ever possible I like to swim something that I don't really care for as my first event. use it as a warm up/feeler to see how my body is doing.

I also don't like sitting around so I sometimes through in events after my main events (breast).

I avoid back stroke when ever possible and the 200 fly, anything else is fair game.

thewookiee
March 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I have a complex system that I will not divulge as it will expose me further.

Yea...he picks an event very people will compete in at the meet, so he can increase his chances of placing higher. The few times he has picked events where a large number of people compete, he got completely blasted by fortress and Pwolf.

That's his secret and why he won't race a 200 back

thewookiee
March 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Pick different events each meet. You may have 2 or 3 events that you really like to swim at meets and it is ok to routinely swim them. But also alternate events, like the others have said. This will keep the meets fun and will help you keep learning about each event.

flippergirl
March 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Yea...he picks an event very people will compete in at the meet, so he can increase his chances of placing higher. The few times he has picked events where a large number of people compete, he got completely blasted by fortress and Pwolf.

That's his secret and why he won't race a 200 back
I think I am in for a big surprise when I get to a meet where there more women in my age group. It is pretty easy to get a blue ribbon when you are the only one swimming it in your category...

The Fortress
March 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I think I am in for a big surprise when I get to a meet where there more women in my age group. It is pretty easy to get a blue ribbon when you are the only one swimming it in your category...

Who cares how you place? Swim for time for awhile, since you need a baseline of times in different events. I'd go for variety and swim different strokes. It's good, as wookiee notes, to repeat some of your favorites, but don't get unduly stuck on them. Try new things to figure out what your niche, if you want one, is.

I pick events based on how much rest I get. Unless it's a champ meet, then I swim my best events and sandbag where I have to to get adequate rest. (I'm an evil sandbagger, and impervious (now) to being lectured about it.)

thewookiee
March 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Well, keep in mind that Geek is in the 100 plus category. So, everytime he finishes, people are impressed that someone with that much skinfold, old age and no hair can swim a 25 in under 15 minutes.

thewookiee
March 11th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Who cares how you place? Swim for time for awhile, since you need a baseline of times in different events. I'd go for variety and swim different strokes. It's good, as wookiee notes, to repeat some of your favorites, but don't get unduly stuck on them. Try new things to figure out what your niche, if you want one, is.

I pick events based on how much rest I get. Unless it's a champ meet, then I swim my best events and sandbag where I have to to get adequate rest. (I'm an evil sandbagger, and impervious (now) to being lectured about it.)

And it might not be a bad idea to not get consumed on your times for awhile. If you are new to meets, which is what it sounds, your times will come down for a number of meets as you gain more racing experience. I do agree with the evil sandbagger, VARIETY(unless it's the 400IM/1650)

aquageek
March 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Don't pay any attention to the haters.

I predict when the Furdumper goes 6:15 in the 500 he won't show his manchilla chest on this forum for about 6-8 weeks.

Embrace your awesomeness.

thewookiee
March 11th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Don't pay any attention to the haters.

I predict when the Furdumper goes 6:15 in the 500 he won't show his manchilla chest on this forum for about 6-8 weeks.

Embrace your awesomeness.

So, when I go 6:14...I will stick to ya.:applaud:

flippergirl
March 11th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Don't tell geek but I am laughing at this...

flippergirl
March 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM
THanks for for warning me about slump. So slump is okay.

flippergirl
March 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks geek...onward

flippergirl
March 11th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I will probably try for three races, although I am gathering a little more courage...no I think three is good for now. Alot to discover and some great advice.

flippergirl
March 11th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Don't tell geek but I am laughing at this...Now where is that quote from wookie teasing aquageek, oh well I am just figuring this all out.