PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Men's Psych Sheets

Paul Smith
March 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
"NCAA Division I Men's Championships Psych Sheet "As If" -- March 11, 2009
PHOENIX, Arizona, March 11. ONCE again, Swimming World superfan John Bremer comes through with another quick turnaround on scoring the psych sheet of the NCAA Division I Men's Championships. Last week, Bremer provided us with the early "on paper" favorite for the women's meet Georgia. Today, he scored the men's psych sheet.

Not counting diving, which will begin to be determined with Zone Diving this weekend, Auburn is the favorite with 434 points. Stanford takes a close second with 429.5 points, while Texas has 407 points. California (383) and defending champ Arizona (261.5) round out the top five in the "as if" scoring. Florida (256), Michigan (243), Virginia (177), Tennessee (143) and Georgia (94) make up the top 10."

Psych sheets: http://www.ncaaswim.com/pdf/m09_off_ps.pdf

I say Texas takes it.

Tim L
March 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I say Texas takes it.

It should be a great meet and very competitive at the top. I saw the Big XII meet on TV the other night and they didn't look very tapered (especially Walters and Klueh) and were still swimming well. Hard to disagree with you on Texas, but what happened with Scott Spann? It doesn't look like he is swimming. I could have sworn he swam a duel meet for Texas in late 2008, but I haven't seen his name since. Is he injured or did he redshirt?

Tim

Paul Smith
March 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM
It should be a great meet and very competitive at the top. I saw the Big XII meet on TV the other night and they didn't look very tapered (especially Walters and Klueh) and were still swimming well. Hard to disagree with you on Texas, but what happened with Scott Spann? It doesn't look like he is swimming. I could have sworn he swam a duel meet for Texas in late 2008, but I haven't seen his name since. Is he injured or did he redshirt?

Tim

Tim, nice catch...I missed that! just checked with a friend down there and found out he's out with a very serious staff infection...scary stuff and wish him the best.

And that may cost them the win....

JimRude
March 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM
C-a-l-i-f-o-r-n-i-a

go bears!

knelson
March 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM
You'd sort of think Texas is "due" this year. They have underperformed at the Dance the last few years. Stanford is notorious for swimming better at Pac-10s then at NCAAs, but they have a lot of depth and should not be discounted. Cal is a wildcard and Arizona will do better than their projected points suggest. I can't imagine Auburn won't be in the mix. They always have great relays and they have divers who will score.

SLOmmafan
March 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
How does the invited segment work for the NCAA's? I know for a fact that multiple swimmer's from UCSB (Big West) swam fast 50 y free times then some of the other invited times. Yet they are not on the list. What gives??

Tim L
March 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Wow, that is too bad and I hope he is recovering well. That is really scary stuff.

Magruder is going to have to step up and they are going to have to hit their taper just right this year to pull it out. The Texas sprinters will need a really big meet.

I can't wait to see the results. Seems like it might take a 19.1 in the 50 free to final, maybe a 41.9 in the 100 free?

Tim

knelson
March 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM
The invited time means if you swim that time, you're invited. The reason for the others "below the line" is these people made it in other events or relays, so they get to swim other events they made the B cut in. Looking at the Big West results, I see UCSB's fastest 50 freestyler swam a 19.68 in prelims. This is below the line (19.48). If UCSB had qualified a relay he'd get to swim the individual event, too.

Charge
March 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The 50 and 100 free and 200 free races will be epic.

aquageek
March 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I see UCSB's fastest 50 freestyler swam a 19.68 in prelims. This is below the line (19.48). If UCSB had qualified a relay he'd get to swim the individual event, too.

UCSB? Is that a juco, community college or what? I've never heard of this so called "university." But, I guess apparently even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and again.

Tim L
March 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
UCSB? Is that a juco, community college or what? I've never heard of this so called "university." But, I guess apparently even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and again.

So, are you trying to piss him off Tall Paul or are you just unaware of schools outside the SEC/ACC? Most schools in the UC system are fairly well respected. I guess they don't have a very good football team so they probably are not on your radar.

Tim

Doug Adamavich
March 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM

There was a guy named Jason Lezak who swam there...perhaps you have heard of him :agree:

It is a part of the California University system, like UC-San Diego, UC-Irvine, etc.

Karen Duggan
March 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Geek, UCSB is Univ of Cal at Santa Barbara. It'a a beautiful place! You know UCLA... There's a theme here.
You may have heard of CAL Berkeley. It's a UC as well!

Now put your binky back in your mouth and we'll see if we can get someone to change your B70, I mean, diaper. :D
:afraid:

There are also CSU (California State University) schools: Chico, San Bernadino, LA, etc. There are several.

aquageek
March 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Sorry, not ringing any bell here. Is this UCSB more of an agriculture and farming type of correspondence school? Is it accredited? Very confusing all these new schools that have sprung up in the internet era.

thewookiee
March 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Sorry, not ringing any bell here. Is this UCSB more of an agriculture and farming type of correspondence school? Is it accredited? Very confusing all these new schools that have sprung up in the internet era.

This coming from a guy who got a degree by cutting out the ad in the back of DC comics and mailing it off for his degree.

Iwannafly
March 12th, 2009, 03:35 PM
And still no response from Tall Paul. You know he's holed up in a dark corner, plotting his flaming response to Geek's brazen attacks on his alma mater! Geek, are you prepared? Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy!

aquageek
March 12th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Actually, Furburglar, I was gonna ask if you had ever heard of this "University of California San Bumfiglio?" I have limited knowledge of the California community college system and am not aware of any quality institutions of higher learning west of the Mississippi.

thewookiee
March 12th, 2009, 03:43 PM
am not aware of any quality institutions of higher learning west of the Mississippi.

Me neither, Mr.Noodler. I know all good schools are located east of the Mississippi and below the Mason-Dixon line.

Karen Duggan
March 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM
"Furburglar"
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I need more popcorn for the next act! You two should be paid for this stuff :agree:

knelson
March 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I have limited knowledge of the California community college system and am not aware of any quality institutions of higher learning west of the Mississippi.

That's right. All the so-called colleges west of the Mississippi are located based on proximity to either quality surfing, skiing or golf. Attending what passes as classes is strictly optional. It's actually good training because we try to lead a life of leisure here on the left coast. We leave all the real work to you Easterners.

thewookiee
March 12th, 2009, 04:24 PM
"Furburglar"
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I need more popcorn for the next act! You two should be paid for this stuff :agree:

master mcgrump would eat all the earnings from the shows.

Karen Duggan
March 12th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Or buy you clippers!
Are you "sweater" furry, or a little furry?

Paul Smith
March 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM
There was a guy named Jason Lezak who swam there...perhaps you have heard of him :agree:

It is a part of the California University system, like UC-San Diego, UC-Irvine, etc.

Geek has never heard of it because:
A) It doesn't have a Future Farmers of America program
B) He wouldn't have made the team...not for lack of swimming ability but simply because none of us would have liked him.
C) He asked a gal out one time who had gone to school there who told him she didn't have any interest in adults who rode tricycles.

A few other notables:
Sandy Nielson Bell
Richard Schroeder
Ken Neff
Pat Cary

All in all for a school that has a pool that was built in 1950 and has to recruit with a total budget of 3 scholarships not to bad...of...and hands down the most beautiful college campus on the planet.

aquageek
March 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Even with that rousing endorsement of Hanna Barbera University, it's still not ringing a bell with me. Is it possible it is a satellite campus of the University of Phoenix?

SLOmmafan
March 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM
The invited time means if you swim that time, you're invited. The reason for the others "below the line" is these people made it in other events or relays, so they get to swim other events they made the B cut in. Looking at the Big West results, I see UCSB's fastest 50 freestyler swam a 19.68 in prelims. This is below the line (19.48). If UCSB had qualified a relay he'd get to swim the individual event, too.

Thanks for the explanation. I used to swim with the guy that posted the 19.68, so I was just wondering how the "invited" system works.

Tim L
March 12th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Even with that rousing endorsement of Hanna Barbera University, it's still not ringing a bell with me. Is it possible it is a satellite campus of the University of Phoenix?

Geek,

I like to poke fun at things as much as the next guy and your initial comment was kind of funny, but this is now getting to the point of bad form. Paul contributes a lot to this forum including tips and workouts.

Tim

The Fortress
March 12th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Geek,

I like to poke fun at things as much as the next guy and your initial comment was kind of funny, but this is now getting to the point of bad form. Paul contributes a lot to this forum including tips and workouts.

Tim

lol, They're just busting each others' chops for fun.

Hands down most beautiful? Hmmmm ... west coast bias showing.

aquageek
March 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Paul contributes a lot to this forum including tips and workouts.

Paul who?

I see you've gone back to preaching.

Tim L
March 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Paul who?

I see you've gone back to preaching.

That is right, Mr. Mustardseed.

Preach

Tim L
March 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM
lol, They're just busting each others' chops for fun.

Hands down most beautiful? Hmmmm ... west coast bias showing.

If Tall Paul knows Mr. Mustardseed's educational and swimming background, then it is a fair fight and have at it.

Tim

aquageek
March 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
He knows, trust me, so you can relax.

mctrusty
March 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM
This is starting to sound like a game of Clue.

I think it was Mr. Mustardseed in the Natatorium with the Socket Rockets!

Tim L
March 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM
He knows, trust me, so you can relax.

O.K., then good luck.

Tim

thewookiee
March 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
If Tall Paul knows Mr. Mustardseed's educational and swimming background, then it is a fair fight and have at it.

Tim

We all know geek's swimming background. He wears arm floats and a bubble ring to keep his hair dry. He is one notch above a noodler in swimming terms.

The Fortress
March 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM
We all know geek's swimming background. He wears arm floats and a bubble ring to keep his hair dry. He is one notch above a noodler in swimming terms.

What's worse though, a flubble or a manchilla?

Chris Stevenson
March 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Given the high level of his repartee, clearly geek's alma mater educated him well.

I'm sure it is successful in athletics too, a veritable University of National Champions. Who could criticize such a stellar institution?

Peter Cruise
March 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I think Mr. Phelps demonstrated recently that 'higher learning' is a portable concept and indeed is in profuse supply in the West.
Geek is only trying to spark some flame in the void John Smith has left whilst abstaining from his usual incendiary postings.