PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks to Zone's, need training advice

Charge
March 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I have been out of the water for all but 3 days of the last 10 weeks ith lower back problems. Back is finally feeling pretty good, and I've been able to lift some weights recently to try and get my upperbody strength back. I'm planning on swimming 50 free, 50 fly 50 back and maybe 100Free.

What should I do? Swim hard for a week and rest for a week? None of the events save for the 100 will be aerobic, so not worried about getting in yards so much. Just go work sprints, turns, stroke? Obviously can't do a taper since I've beenon taper for almost 3 months now!

Help!

Charge
March 12th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Come on, help a guy out.

geochuck
March 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM
You will probably not need a rest. Train hard for the next two weeks just take it easy for a couple of days. I would be doing lots of 25 and 50 sprints with short rest periods.

qbrain
March 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
First, be sure and submit your entries. They are due Tuesday.

Build up to some hard stuff, and make sure you don't reinjury your back.

I think you have the right idea. Warm up, sprint, warm down. Maybe do some recovery between each sprint. Not much you can do in two weeks other than make sure you are mentally ready.

Good luck.

knelson
March 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'd say try to get in the most fast swimming you can over the next two week without wearing yourself out. Even though you aren't tapering because you've got nothing to taper from, I think your best best is probably still taper-type workouts.

Really just a guess, though. I've never been in a situation like yours.

KEWebb18
March 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I would ask Ande--he always has advice and he is smart!

ande
March 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
if you're doing short events.
swim easy 95% of the practice and do 5% very fast

if you're doing short events
lift weights & stay strong but don't put your back at risk

Does it hurt to do starts?

this SFF tip should help you

get a fast suit

good luck

Ande

Charge
March 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks Ande,
Back is much better, so starts aren't an issue. I have an FS-II backstroke suit, so I might wear that over my TYR tights, even for the free events.

Planning lift hard next week while protecting my back, and swim lightly every day.

The part of this that I can't figure out is that I went to swim at the SCY meet here in Dallas a few weeks back and went just .2 off my PBT in the 50 fly even though I hadn't touched the water or lifted in 5 weeks.

Go figure?

chowmi
March 25th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Charge,

ARE YOU READY!!!!!!

This is the big week! Everyone arrives with different issues; there is always a (rotating) group of swimmers in very good shape, most in decent shape, and those with some handicaps (bad backs, illness, life issues, etc).

I think it takes more guts to get up and race when you haven't trained "properly", "ideally", etc. Especially bad backs! Just getting up on the blocks, hopefully without any sharp stabbing pain, and just racing is a huge win.

Plus, you just never know when you will have a great swim in you!

Did everyone get the pysche sheet (South Central Zone meet)? It was emailed to most people. I have it if you want one.

qbrain
March 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Did everyone get the pysche sheet (South Central Zone meet)? It was emailed to most people. I have it if you want one.

I got mine and I am only seated dead last in one event! Thank you Nicolas for bumping me up to the penultimate position in another event :)

orca1946
March 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM
First - don't hurt the back again. Train with this in mind & do pool work on the stroke finish & turns. Good luck.

Charge
March 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM
No, not ready! I got back inthe water one time early last week and my back was fine, but now my family has been passing around the flu bug...so if it wasn't me being sick, it was me up at night with one of the sick ones. So I'm going into this meet on solid 2.5 month taper!

Should be fun!

100IM, 50Br, 100 Free, 50 back, 50 free, 50 fly......... at least they're all sprints.

And that's the best part, low expectations, so I'm almost guaranteed to be ok with whathappens.

On the other hand I'm seeded top 10 in each event, so there's room for me to plummet like a rock!

orca1946
March 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Have fun 1st - then tell us what the results are.