PDA

View Full Version : I need a coach

docmjacobs
March 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Our little Master's group at the Orchard's Club in Loveland has disbanded because it was no longer "financially feasible" to have a coach. I do not want to go to the other Master's group in town as the pool is too cold and it is very crowded (I am very slow). I have tried to hire a private coach as I would like to go faster and become better at my strokes, but I have had little success. I started swimming Masters about 3 years ago, with little previous swimming experience, and am now 56 years old.
Suggestions??

haffathot
March 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I would suggest that you get your group together and have one of your members step up as a volunteer coach. as long as there is a lifeguard on the deck, it should be ok. also, you could pay for your practices. it seems if the issue is the cost of a coach, then there are ways to solve it that are not too hard.

--Sean

docmjacobs
March 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
We WERE already paying, when our last coach stepped down. I think it was really a question of not wanting to get up early in the AM, however since our last coach was the manager of our pool, I do not think there is going to be any overriding her decision,unless we actually find someone ourselves willing to step up. I doubt if anyone from the group will step up as coach as they are, like me, all busy working people and this is the only time they have to come to the pool and work out themselves. It is probably a moot point as most of the other members have migrated to the cold, crowded, Masters Club down the road. I was just hoping maybe a great coach in our area woud seemy posting and be willing to arrange some private lessons or coaching sessions with me (Loveland, Colorado).

Michael Heather
March 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Although it may be too late, There is a solution. The volunteer coach routine works, but not for only one person to do it. In California, the Long Beach Grunions have no fewer than 7 volunteer coaches. they get together to plan the style of workouts and divide the work by the time each has to give during the week. It works very well, they have at least 120 people in the club.

Good Luck

Grunion
March 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Mike is absolutely correct and I would be happy to give you more information if you like.

Kenny
Long Beach Grunions