PDA

View Full Version : Phelps on Today!

SLOmmafan
March 13th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Did anyone else catch Phelps on the Today show this morning? I thought he handled himself quite well - especially as he is already not the greatest public speaker and interviewee in the world! I had to agree with his assessment of the DUI and the latest issue being very different. It's a huge difference when you are endangering the lives of others (by being on the road) versus doing something that though illegal, in and of itself has no impact on the health and safety of others around him.

Good to see him out by the pool, and look forward to seeing him dominate in Rome this summer!

ande
March 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29664124/

phelps today show vid (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/29660341#29660341)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/olympics/bal-michael-phelps-today-show-313,0,3379480.story

tjrpatt
March 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Comedian John Witherspoon(from the films Boomerang, Friday, Next Friday and he was the dad on some Wayans Bros. WB sitcom) said to the papparazzi at LAX(the paparazzi live there and that Ivy Restaurant) that something to the effect, "Phelps won 8 gold medals, he should take a bong hit".

hofffam
March 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Phelps gave some very scripted answers - such as how he answered (didn't answer) the question if he smoked pot not.

I think he also lied when he said he didn't know if his people tried to suppress the picture. By now - surely he knows if they tried to do that.

It was interesting that Letterman had a top ten item "messages left on Bernie Madoff's answering machine.

Item #2 was "It's Michael Phelps - do you need something to relax?" Got a huge laugh.....

tjrpatt
March 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
The Phelps interview will be on Dateline NBC tonight at 7PM EST. Phelps could get some good 18-49 demo ratings. Plus, this is a good lead-in for the new NBC show at 8PM, Kings. Of course, Phelps won't be able to help that piece of crap, Celebrity Apprentice. That goes Phelps helping NBC's dismal ratings again.

tjrpatt
March 16th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know what pool that this interview took place at. It definitely wasn't Meadowbrook. Just wondering!!

elise526
March 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29664124/

phelps today show vid (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/29660341#29660341)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/olympics/bal-michael-phelps-today-show-313,0,3379480.story

Thanks for the links, Ande. I wasn't able to watch him on t.v. the other day.

All of this makes me sad for him. I hope that when he returns, he leaves everybody in his wake so that this mistake can be quickly forgotten. He brought a lot of positive publicity to swimming. Let's hope that 20 years from now, Phelps will be remembered for his accomplishments and not for a mistake that in the whole big picture of things is very small.

h2osmiley
March 17th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Does anyone know what pool that this interview took place at. It definitely wasn't Meadowbrook. Just wondering!!

It looked like it was at the Loyola College pool.

tjrpatt
March 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
That is what I was thinking because I heard that he trained there a few times or something.

SLOmmafan
March 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Well, he won't be remembered for his articulate public speaking ability! I feel bad for the guy having to give such lame responses to avoid further bad publicity. "We were just celebrating"! Come on now Phelps, more like partying it up! Ultimately it's good that he is back in the pool again, because he was on a 6 month party binge enjoying he new found superstar status and financial windfall.

tjrpatt
March 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I think that he choose Matt Lauer to interview him because he could get away with saying, "it was a bad mistake". The best interviewers in the business(ie Howard Stern, Diane Sawyer) would not put up with that kind of answer. Howard Stern is the best in the interviewing business. After he interviewed NFL Player Jeremy Shockey, he wasn't allowed to do interviews ever again.

I think that he more than deserved the 6 months of partying. It was pretty cool when Vegas hotels were working their tails off to get him to stay at their hotel. Of course, he stayed at the Palms and found a new girlfriend. Phelps looked like he was having a good time when he was hanging out at the pool with Warren Sapp.

JimCanSwim
March 18th, 2009, 07:47 AM
...that something to the effect, "Phelps won 8 gold medals, he should take a bong hit".

I just read an interesting article yesterday. Apparently, a small amount of pot can be excellent anti-inflammatory. Better than Ibuprofen and aspirin because there's no danger of stomach problems. Maybe there's more to this than we think... :dunno:

DPC
March 18th, 2009, 10:52 AM
The best interviewers in the business(ie Howard Stern, Diane Sawyer) would not put up with that kind of answer.

Stern - only because he will say anything and ask any question. Diane Sawyer!?!? Her interviews are always lame - her last one I caught she sounded loaded. She's as bad as they get. If you want a real interview get someone from the BBC.

I feel bad for Phelps because he's busted his a$$ for the better part of the last 10 years (plus going for 2012) and hasn't had the luxury to grow up without a huge media spotlight - yes he brought a lot of it on himself because he wanted to break Spitz's record and be the best ever, and elevate the sport, and then acted like a college student. I was always told "don't do anything you don't want your mother to see in the newspaper" - and I got away with most of it, but not always. He should have known that it would get out, he's not your average beer drinking, pot tokin college kid. I know NOT everyone smoked pot in college, so all the "I didn't do it in college" can calm down. Maybe he didn't think his own peers (age wise) would turn him in. In 20 years he'll be know for the olympic records, and the gold medals and the domination of the sport - and there will be a string of little Phelpesian swimmers (both male and female) pushing themselves to the same levels. At least I hope that's the case

Redbird Alum
March 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I just read an interesting article yesterday. Apparently, a small amount of pot can be excellent anti-inflammatory. Better than Ibuprofen and aspirin because there's no danger of stomach problems. Maybe there's more to this than we think... :dunno:

Ah... HA-Ha-ha... seriously, that made me laugh so hard I almost cried!

knelson
March 18th, 2009, 11:13 AM
From now on when anyone asks Phelps what he plays on his iPod pre-race he better not answer "Bob Marley."

jordangregory
March 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Who cares what Phelps does outside the pool. It is interesting to watch him swim if you are a swim fan or simply like to watch people compete at high levels, but he gave up his life (so far) to entertain people and make his country seem "cool". The Olympics is all about countries saying "Look how awesome we are. We are a world power because we can waste our resources on making people swim in a pool really fast. We don't have to spend our money and time to produce food and make shelter. We are doing so well we can just give it to people to play sports".
And who is that loser who took the picture of Phelps? Probably the same type of person with no life who is wasting their time (and now mine) reporting "news" about Phelps.

JimCanSwim
March 19th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Ah... HA-Ha-ha... seriously, that made me laugh so hard I almost cried!

Actually, I'm quite serious. The article appeared in Men's Journal. You can read it here Pot for Pain (http://www.mensjournal.com/pot-for-pain).

I'm not advocating one way or another. Just putting the info out there. :2cents:

JIM

orca1946
March 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
In 10 years , nobody will remember this event. His pool work is what we all admire!:applaud:

shadowxvi
March 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hell pot is on its way to becoming legalized anyway. Besides it in no way provides any performance enhancing benefit. Who cares what someone does in private. Someone probably took and or released the photo to make money.

CoachML
March 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Did anyone else catch Phelps on the Today show this morning? I thought he handled himself quite well - especially as he is already not the greatest public speaker and interviewee in the world! I had to agree with his assessment of the DUI and the latest issue being very different. It's a huge difference when you are endangering the lives of others (by being on the road) versus doing something that though illegal, in and of itself has no impact on the health and safety of others around him.

Good to see him out by the pool, and look forward to seeing him dominate in Rome this summer!
I've always thought he was a good public speaker and interviewee.

Redbird Alum
March 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Actually, I'm quite serious. The article appeared in Men's Journal. ... I'm not advocating one way or another.

Jim -

Not laughing at the article, just my warped mind placing it in context of this whole episode...

Picture Phelps pulling a hit at this college party... and then he says to his friends "No, seriously! I need to do this to reduce my inflamation!"

orca1946
March 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
On a bad day, he is better than most pro athletes!

JimCanSwim
March 24th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Jim -

Not laughing at the article, just my warped mind placing it in context of this whole episode...

Picture Phelps pulling a hit at this college party... and then he says to his friends "No, seriously! I need to do this to reduce my inflamation!"

True. At his age, he should recover quickly enough. It's just in this day and age... I just assume everyone has a camera on their phone. And especially if you're a celebrity of any sort, anything you do will be recorded. It's a brave new world!

JIM

Philip Frandino
March 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
The funniest I heard, was the Teenager was complaining to his mom about getting caught for smoking Pot. "But, Mom, Michael Phelps smoked pot." And the mom said, "When you win 8 gold medals, you can smoke pot too, but not until then."