PDA

View Full Version : Twenty Six Years

Dacsus65
March 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM
It's been 26 years since my last workout, now that I'm taking classes at the local college and have access to the pool I've joined USMS and plan to get back into some sort of shape (other than oval).

Any suggestions for someone who needs to get back in shape?

tjrpatt
March 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Just take it one day at a time. You will be struggling from the beginning but the more you swim, the easier it will get. If you feel worn after only doing about 1500, then get out.

cyclist
March 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM
you should be well rested.

funkyfish
March 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Just take it one day at a time. You will be struggling from the beginning but the more you swim, the easier it will get. If you feel worn after only doing about 1500, then get out.

I agree with the above quote. Several years ago I started back after a 20 year layoff. Initially I was worn out after 400yds (but then again, I'm a sprinter), but now I have days where I can get up to 6000yds done in a workout. When I first started I didn't think it would be do-able but it is.
:bliss:

Dacsus65
March 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the support. I'm going to drop in at the college pool today on the way home from work and see what I can do. I doubt I'll set any records (except perhaps slowest lap) but I've got to start somewhere.

Cheers!

KEWebb18
March 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM
One word of advice (and I'm not trying to call you old and I am not just saying this because it is on every single cardiovascular machine in a gym)--make sure with your doctor that you do not have any other risk factors (heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc) that might impair your ability to begin an exercise program.
Start off slow, don't get frustrated, and have fun!

orca1946
March 25th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Enjoy to water again!! Also add gym workouts to the pool.

Dacsus65
March 27th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks, I did get a checkup and other than weight I'm fine. The pool was closed for water treatment the past few days, I am going Saturday afternoon. My friends have promised not to refer to me as a Beluga Whale :afraid:

orca1946
March 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Even if they do - whales can outlast most everything else.

Dacsus65
March 30th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for that Orca! :applaud:

I dropped in Saturday to loosen up, then volunteered with some kids from Special Olympics. All in all about 500 yards and it felt good, but my shoulder reminded me I need to stretch before swimming.

Thanks again.

geochuck
March 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I hate to tell you this don't stretch, start with long warm ups.

Dacsus65
April 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM
Really? Stretching is not good anymore? What happened to stretches, I remember back in the old days, that our Coach would have us stretching for long periods before getting in the water.

I did stretch my shoulders a bit then did our posted warm up, about 500 yards total. Then the posted 800 yard work out with a 100 yard cool down.

geochuck
April 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM
What I see as stretching that swimmers do, should never be done with cold muscles. Some even believe stretching can be harmful. I still go to a swim pool to swim and see master swim coaches allowing swimmers to do some pretty wild stretching. But anyone is allowed to disagree with me and many do.

Dacsus65
April 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
I agree that some swimmers do some pretty unusual stretches; we used to get twisted like pretzels in HS. I'm a bit less enthusiastic and just stretch my shoulders to lessen them a bit, taking some of the tension out from work and the commute. Thanks for the advice though.