PDA

View Full Version : Chloe Sutton, Katie Hoff and Michael Phelps swim with the SE

Ken Classen
March 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
http://www.10kswimmer.com/2009/03/open-water-swimming-military-style-with.html

orca1946
March 19th, 2009, 10:44 PM
How very cool to have those swimmers in the pool.

ALM
March 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM
...The day started with a grueling form of dryland training after the soldiers and swimmers showed off their physical capabilities. The groups then did a dangerous and team-building obstacle course where double Olympic gold medalist Megan Jendrick broke her leg...

What? Nathan, is this true?

Nathan
March 19th, 2009, 11:44 PM
What? Nathan, is this true?

Unfortunately so :(

She covered it briefly on her blog - http://meganjendrick.net

Long story short, it happened about three hours into the course when she slipped off one of the obstacles. She ended up running in the sand for over another mile before the leg just couldn't hold up anymore. She knew something was really wrong after she fell, but she isn't the kind to quit. After she hit the sand they got x-rays done and it turns out she broke her fibula a couple of inches below the knee. Clean break, at least, and won't require surgery, just time.

To avoid betraying anyone's privacy I won't name any other names, but another athlete got a concussion and a couple of others had various injuries. I'm *pretty* sure Navy SEAL training won't be a part of any National Team camps in the future... but that's just a guess. Until the accident there though MJ was saying it was really fun. So at least a good experience... for the most part :blush:

knelson
March 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM
That's too bad, Nathan. I was impressed with how she swam at Sectionals last week. Give her our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Nathan
March 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
That's too bad, Nathan. I was impressed with how she swam at Sectionals last week. Give her our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thank you very much, and I will be sure to pass it along.

SLOmmafan
March 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Seems kinda goofy to be having out elite National's swimmers doing Navy SEAL type training leading up to the World Championships. Injury rates are pretty high even for the guys who are actually training for this type of military position. I would be interesting to see how a guy like Phelps (who isn't known for his dry land finess) help up in the runs and so on.

Cool training, and I am sure it was a neat experience, but perhaps not fully appropriate to be putting elite swimmers through at this time period!