PDA

View Full Version : Chicago or Raleigh

thewookiee
March 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Ok, I am trying to decide on going to either Raleigh or Chicago for a meet. The problem, both on the same weekend.

Don't know which one to go too. The perk for Chicago, fly in to midway, ride the L. to the hotel and about anywhere else I need to go.

Perk for Raleigh...it's cheaper!

Any thoughts on which one would be better?

pwb
March 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Which pools are the meets at?
What kind of competition are you looking for?
Anything substantively different about the event order?

With no additional info, I'd choose Chicago because:

I used to live there and springtime in Chicago can be beautiful.
It's a great, iconic American city with a lot more extra-curricular fun (if you're looking for that)
I'm not that enamored of the southeast (this is a big bias)

The Fortress
March 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Which pools are the meets at?
What kind of competition are you looking for?
Anything substantively different about the event order?

With no additional info, I'd choose Chicago because:

I used to live there and springtime in Chicago can be beautiful.
It's a great, iconic American city with a lot more extra-curricular fun (if you're looking for that)

I agree with Patrick! Of course, I'm biased having lived there too.

If I'm traveling for a meet, I typically choose the venue based on order of events and quality of the pool.

thewookiee
March 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
[/LIST]

See, if I am going on bias, I will pick Raleigh. I love the southeast. I wouldn't dream of living in Chicago. D.C. is about as far north as I ever care to live.

Hadn't looked at the order of events. Just hope neither has the 200 free/100 back together.

I know Chris S. is planning on Raleigh. UIC has an ok pool. Don't know the one in Raleigh(if it's at the new center, then I will just go there)

Chris Stevenson
March 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
See, if I am going on bias, I will pick Raleigh. I love the southeast. I wouldn't dream of living in Chicago. D.C. is about as far north as I ever care to live.

Hadn't looked at the order of events. Just hope neither has the 200 free/100 back together.

I know Chris S. is planning on Raleigh. UIC has an ok pool. Don't know the one in Raleigh(if it's at the new center, then I will just go there)

At the Raleigh meet, the 200 free and the 100 back are on different days, so no problem there. The order of events is here:

http://www.ncmasters.org/forms/139-04.pdf

It is not at the new pool in Cary, it is at the Pullen Aquatic Center, right next to the NC State campus. It is a good pool, better than the MAC pool the Albatross meet was just held at. (That was a fine pool, but the Pullen pool is better IMO.)

The meet itself is run well; RAM is a great team. And people in NC are much nicer than in Chicago...:)

thewookiee
March 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
And people in NC are much nicer than in Chicago...:)

Chris...that is enough right there for me to make my choice...lol

aquageek
March 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
I would chose Raleigh for two reasons - RAM is a great host team and I can't control myself in Chicago, too many distractions.

thewookiee
March 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
I would chose Raleigh for two reasons - RAM is a great host team and I can't control myself in Chicago, too many distractions.

Dang it! If you're votin Raleigh, I gotta reconsider. Thanks a lot numb nuts.

orca1946
March 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Why not do 1 this year & the other next year?

aquageek
March 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM

How about Big Shoulders in Chicago? That is in Chicago I think.

orca1946
March 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Corect - Big Shoulers is a well run event that you would enjoy.

thewookiee
March 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM

If I have to choose each year, I think Chris' final comment wins everytime...lol

TRYM_Swimmer
March 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/raleigh

The Saturday social after the meet is at this restaurant which features some fine beer, and only 300 or so different ones!

That should clinch it. I would offer to meet you there, but we have a conflict that weekend. Sigh, it's only a two hour drive for us!

Been there before, though. It's always a well-run meet.

tjrpatt
March 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
I would choose Raleigh. The weather will probably be better and it is cheaper.

Allen Stark
March 23rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Which ever has the faster pool &/or the better event order(you are going there to swim after all.)