PDA

View Full Version : Questions on a new racing suit

swim25
March 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
So I'm looking for a new racing suit and was wondering why anyone would get a jammer over full tights? I have been looking at the TYR fusion 2 (they have it on clearance at swimoutlet) What are the advantages or disadvantages if any getting tights over jammers or is it personal preference? I'm on the fence on this one, this being my first racing suit, and would like to make a wise choice. I'm looking to get this suit for nationals but have a few meets before hand that I want to try it out at.

Muppet
March 23rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
So I'm looking for a new racing suit and was wondering why anyone would get a jammer over full tights?

Personal preference.

I've seen a lot of IMers and breaststrokers wear jammers for their races. I'm told by that crowd that they feel like they're slipping through the water when they wear full legs, hence the jammers, and while I'm not a breaststroker, I have swum an IM or two with legs and felt a similar sensation when swimming that leg (pun intended) of the event.

Mark Liscinsky set several USMS record swims last year in Austin wearing a jammer.

ande
March 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
jammers are no longer the preferred suit for elite breastrokers
more and more are moving over to full body suits

My guess is full body suits and probably blue seventy will be the suit of choice for breastrokers at NCAA's

All suits float. With Tech suits, usually more fabric is better, as long as you have a proper fit.

if I had to chose between jammers or legs,
I'd get legs

I'd get a Speedo FS PRO legs.

if I had to chose between legs or full body
I'd get full body
Speedo's HiNeck FS Pro is a great suit.

I'm not sure what's going to be approved in Jan 2010 when the new rules are in place

Tip 201 Which Suit Suits you? More info On Racing Suits

Tip 214 Even More On Racing Suits

ande

Personal preference.

I've seen a lot of IMers and breaststrokers wear jammers for their races. I'm told by that crowd that they feel like they're slipping through the water when they wear full legs, hence the jammers, and while I'm not a breaststroker, I have swum an IM or two with legs and felt a similar sensation when swimming that leg (pun intended) of the event.

Mark Liscinsky set several USMS record swims last year in Austin wearing a jammer.

swim25
March 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback. That really helps. Ande would you recommend legs to anyone of any skill level? I assume it is relative to your ability how well the suit works, for instance does a suit work better for someone who is faster than a slower swimmer or will it have the same degree of effectiveness (assuming that person has some level of skill). I'm low 28's in my 50 and want to do everything I can to get sub 27's so, along with hard work in practice and determination will a suit like this be advantageous or will my practice briefs be sufficient? Mind you I'm not looking at getting the "LZR legs" but I want a higher higher quality suit for competition. Thanks.

swimminlin
March 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I need help chooseing a suit also. I am looking at the knee suit.

Tried on fsII, needed a size smaller but hard to find since they are being discontinued

fspro, I liked it but again could probably use a size smaller

TYR Tracer light, fit the tightest in the hips and thighs but seemed a little big at top. Felt like it could bubble or take on water during a start or turn.

Not sure here....can someone help point me in the right direction. In the past I have worn the TYR Aquashift full body and TYR Aquafusion knee suit.

Thank you

swim25
March 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Well I got one. I got the TYR Fusion 2 tights. I would have liked to have gone with the Speedo FSII but for money reasons I went with the TYR (27 year old college kid, I don't have a lot of money) I'm excited and can't wait till it gets here so I can try it out!:banana: they had a great deal on swimoutlet so I said what the hell. A few people I swim with have used it and really like it.

By the way does anyone know how to say TYR is it pronounced as letters T-Y-R or "tire" I heard somone say "tire" but I thought it was the other way.