PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: The Suit That Changes Everything

Dario Tirado
March 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Really interesting article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123786158419621421.html) re: the cost for college teams to try and stay even w/other teams that can afford to supply their swimmers w/the new suits.

CreamPuff
March 24th, 2009, 09:34 AM
OMG! I haven't even finished reading the article, but I can't believe that it boldly states that the LZR/ B70/ TYR Tracer help the "LAZY, FLABBY" swimmers MOST b/c their fat is compressed but remains more buoyant than muscle!!!

I have to wonder why Auburn waited until the last minute to order their suits. Even I, as a low level swimmer, have some back up. However, I also see this as being a possible media ploy to psych out the other teams. . .

If they keep the suits, fine. If they ditch 'em, fine by me as well.

aquageek
March 24th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I have to say I can't believe schools like Auburn, Texas, UGA have any flabby swimmers, to She-Puff's points. I've seen a few of these guys and gals around in the Summer and during the Holidays and flabby isn't exactly what I would call them. I'd use terms like ripped, tall, fast, etc.

The Fortress
March 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
OMG! I haven't even finished reading the article, but I can't believe that it boldly states that the LZR/ B70/ TYR Tracer help the "LAZY, FLABBY" swimmers MOST b/c their fat is compressed but remains more buoyant than muscle!!!

I got a chuckle out of that as well ... However, it is certainly consistent with other statements I have read and heard.

I notice that the article states that it may be "many years" before FINA makes a determination on the legality of the suits. Perhaps Mr. Thornton will have to wait longer than he thinks to witness the predicted psychological downward spiral from tech suit deprivation.

tjrpatt
March 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM

I have to wonder why Auburn waited until the last minute to order their suits. Even I, as a low level swimmer, have some back up. However, I also see this as being a possible media ploy to psych out the other teams. . .

If they keep the suits, fine. If they ditch 'em, fine by me as well.

If the suits are supposed to help flabby swimmers, I guess that it would have done wonders for my college team because we had some major flabby swimmers the year that I swam. Of course, at that time, I was creepy up on the flabby factor after supposedly defeating those issues for 2 years . I am sure that you find a swimmer here or there on these big teams that have "flabby" issues.

ande
March 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM
"Most troubling to coaches, the suits seem to help the flabby, lazier swimmers the most, because their fat gets compressed but remains more buoyant than dense muscle, allowing them to float higher in the water and swim faster."

AKA Tech Suits are a GOD SEND for Masters SWIMMERS

jim thornton
March 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Sign me up!

I am the poster man-child for flabby and somewhat-lazy (though I prefer to medicalize the latter with claims of EDS barely held in check by modafinil.)

Johnny Storm, aka, the Human Torch in Marvel Comics' Fantastic Four, used to have a catch phrase: Flame On! which he would spiritedly cry out right before igniting.

Perhaps, armed with my new borrowed and arguably slightly oversized B70 at Colony Zones this year, you will hear a similar catch phrase being emitted from whatever block I have waddled my way up upon: Flab On!

I shall cry out this, in both pride and hope, before beginning a half-assed effort in the pool, en route, perchance, to a new PR in every lackadaisical swim I attempt!

PS to Leslie: It seens you have been taking a certain refuge in the notion that B70s hope most those who are big and fat, conferring relatively less advantage to, say, perfectly chiseled weight-lifting minxes who top out at 5' 4". This may be true, but I remain far from convinced. Theoretically, at least, once could argue precisely the opposite: that smaller, lighter swimmers have higher surface to volume ratios than us tub 'o lard bowling balls. Since the suit smooths the surface and (in the case of the B70, I am convinced, if not some of the others) adds float, then there is reason to believe you magnificent might-mites might indeed benefit more.

Regardless, now that I have joined the B70 Flabulous Bandwagon, in my mind if not yet in actual practice (still awaiting BillS's reply re: shipping info), I don't care how much it helps anybody else.

I just want it to help me, me, me!

knelson
March 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Yeah, I don't believe it for a minute. I'm sure they've suited up for other meets this season. These days you've got to suit up to swim fast enough to qualify. They may not be getting any brand new suits for NCs, but I'm sure they've got suits.

Dolphin 2
March 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Yep -This is what a lot of people have known all along. These suits enable your average Bill or Barbara Beerbelly to swim easier and faster while having to train less.

The article once again mentioned that some are proposing that these suits should be done away with. Accordingly, has the anyone in the athletic department considered investing in a heavy duty shredder? :afraid:

Dolphin 2

aquageek
March 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Yep -This is what a lot of people have known all along. These suits enable your average Bill or Barbara Beerbelly to swim easier and faster while having to train less.

Did you read the article? It was about top level swimming. It never mentioned training less. In fact, training wasn't even referenced. Do you think Auburn is training less because of this? You are an absolute imbecile.

BTW - when are you gonna stop dodging and let us know which club you assist with?

The Fortress
March 24th, 2009, 11:53 AM
PS to Leslie: It seens you have been taking a certain refuge in the notion that B70s hope most those who are big and fat, conferring relatively less advantage to, say, perfectly chiseled weight-lifting minxes who top out at 5' 4". This may be true, but I remain far from convinced. Theoretically, at least, once could argue precisely the opposite: that smaller, lighter swimmers have higher surface to volume ratios than us tub 'o lard bowling balls. Since the suit smooths the surface and (in the case of the B70, I am convinced, if not some of the others) adds float, then there is reason to believe you magnificent might-mites might indeed benefit more.

I'm sure I have plenty of flab that can use compressing ...

Not sure what you mean about "surface to volume" ratios and how us mighty mites benefit more because of it? Can you explain further? Seems like bowling balls would benefit from drag reduction. Methinks the B70 helps those who want time improvements, but refuse to do drylands and hit the weight room! :angel:

Yeah, don't think there are too many beer bellies at Auburn. In fact, when I was there recently and saw the men's team practice, I had the opposite take.

thewookiee
March 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Did you read the article? It was about top level swimming. It never mentioned training less. In fact, training wasn't even referenced. Do you think Auburn is training less because of this? You are an absolute imbecile.

BTW - when are you gonna stop dodging and let us know which club you assist with?

Geek, look, he doesn't belong to a team. Otherwise, he would have told you by now. Second, there is no use in fighting with a fool. He doesn't comprend anything EXPERIENCED swimmers on this thread have told him about the suits, training, etc. The little boy lives in his own world and will not admit that he knows nothing about the competitive side of the sport. Maybe he can noodle better than the rest of us but that's about it.

smontanaro
March 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I trust everyone realizes that fluids (like the pudgies which we all contend with to one degree or another) are incompressible, certainly with the sorts of forces which could be applied by a tech suit. It's tough to get around the laws of physics. I've heard it said you have to be God or something.

What the tech suits probably do for the flabbier swimmer is keep the flab from jiggling so much and creating turbulence. You get more laminar flow along the surface.

Animal
March 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I do not have a new tech suit, but a FSII. I am chubby and flabby and it helps compress the fat around my middle and I go faster in it. Made my 1st top 10 this year with it. But, I also train hard both in the pool and the weight room. I usually train 25,000 yards or more a week, plus two days of weights. Without that training the suit would just have been a suit. I would not have swam the way I did without the benefit of training and the suit. This high tech suits were made for Master swimmers. It slims you down. In high school I was 6 foot and 135 pounds. I am still six foot, but 199 pounds and much of that is lard I carry around. I will likely never see my high school or college times, but with a high tech suit, I swim faster than without it and feel better about my swimming. I feel it somewhat is a mother's little helper, but a legal one. So bring on the high tech suits!!

BillS
March 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Sign me up!

I am the poster man-child for flabby and somewhat-lazy (though I prefer to medicalize the latter with claims of EDS barely held in check by modafinil.)

Johnny Storm, aka, the Human Torch in Marvel Comics' Fantastic Four, used to have a catch phrase: Flame On! which he would spiritedly cry out right before igniting.

Perhaps, armed with my new borrowed and arguably slightly oversized B70 at Colony Zones this year, you will hear a similar catch phrase being emitted from whatever block I have waddled my way up upon: Flab On!

I shall cry out this, in both pride and hope, before beginning a half-assed effort in the pool, en route, perchance, to a new PR in every lackadaisical swim I attempt!

Regardless, now that I have joined the B70 Flabulous Bandwagon, in my mind if not yet in actual practice (still awaiting BillS's reply re: shipping info), I don't care how much it helps anybody else.

I just want it to help me, me, me!

On my way out of town with the kiddos for spring break (watch this space for Brats Gone Wild!), but I'll try and PM you info today if I can. I still have the original 3x5x7 box B70 used to UPS me the replacement suit. I think you can just go git yerself a prepaid shipping label at your local UPS store (or maybe just arrange for it to be here at my Hood River UPS store), and I can slap it on the box and send it your way on the 20th. Probably want to do second day if not prohibitively expensive to ensure it gets there on time. FedEx may work as well, but I'm not sure we have a shipping facility here. US Mail may well be bankrupt and/or out of biz by then at the rate the Fed is printing money.

I'm 6'2" and a reasonably flabby 195, so my size 30's flab containment/compression may not be what it should for relatively svelte you. But I'm still betting you will see significant time drops. Please try a breaststroke event; I'd like some empirical confirmation of my belief that the suit is most effective in that, The Most Elegant and Manly of All Strokes.

knelson
March 24th, 2009, 02:51 PM
What the tech suits probably do for the flabbier swimmer is keep the flab from jiggling so much and creating turbulence. You get more laminar flow along the surface.

No chance there's much laminar flow even around the slimmest swimmer.

Dolphin 2
March 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Geek, look, he doesn't belong to a team. Otherwise, he would have told you by now. Second, there is no use in fighting with a fool. He doesn't comprend anything EXPERIENCED swimmers on this thread have told him about the suits, training, etc. The little boy lives in his own world and will not admit that he knows nothing about the competitive side of the sport. Maybe he can noodle better than the rest of us but that's about it.

Hey thewookiee
From your posts, you don't seem to know the difference between experienced competitive swimming and experienced competitive spending on swimsuits.

It looks like I have offended the Gods Of Suit Technology once again and the grumbling of pious thunder from the devine overhead tells me it's time to take cover before I get stricken by a bolt from the blue. :bitching:

Dolphin 2

smontanaro
March 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM
No chance there's much laminar flow even around the slimmest swimmer.

"more laminar", "less turbulent", same difference...

jim thornton
March 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
On my way out of town with the kiddos for spring break (watch this space for Brats Gone Wild!), but I'll try and PM you info today if I can. I still have the original 3x5x7 box B70 used to UPS me the replacement suit. I think you can just go git yerself a prepaid shipping label at your local UPS store (or maybe just arrange for it to be here at my Hood River UPS store), and I can slap it on the box and send it your way on the 20th. Probably want to do second day if not prohibitively expensive to ensure it gets there on time. FedEx may work as well, but I'm not sure we have a shipping facility here. US Mail may well be bankrupt and/or out of biz by then at the rate the Fed is printing money.

I'm 6'2" and a reasonably flabby 195, so my size 30's flab containment/compression may not be what it should for relatively svelte you. But I'm still betting you will see significant time drops. Please try a breaststroke event; I'd like some empirical confirmation of my belief that the suit is most effective in that, The Most Elegant and Manly of All Strokes.

Once again, and in a very public way, as opposed to the semi-public (and largely avoided) forum of my vlog site, let me officially nominate BillS as USMS Sportsman of the Year for his contributions to Jim's Junk Science Experiment, which I am pretty sure will put to rest for all time the question of whether or not a borrowed, slightly oversized B70 will help me swim faster.

And by extension, people like me, with similar bosom size and body contours, like Leslie and Creampuff.

Thanks, Bill!

I agree that breaststroke is the most elegant and manly of all strokes, which finally explains why I am so wretchedly incompetent at it.

I am hoping that your B70 allows me to stave off the final solution for masters swimming time drops, a new surgical procedure I read about that has been pioneered in North Korea and which I will soon be vlogging about, please stay tuned, suit lovers and suit haters, Wookies and Dolphin 2s and your various acolytes and minions alike!

The one thing I think we can all agree on:

BillS, USMS Man of the Century

Ken Classen
March 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Mr. Huth said that "there is no empirical evidence the suits provide an advantage."

Dude, someone needs to drug test this guy.

CreamPuff
March 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM
"Most troubling to coaches, the suits seem to help the flabby, lazier swimmers the most, because their fat gets compressed but remains more buoyant than dense muscle, allowing them to float higher in the water and swim faster."

AKA Tech Suits are a GOD SEND for Masters SWIMMERS

Okay, I chuckled at Ande's comment. But why do I just feel like I and the rest of my fellow masters swimmers were called "flabby and lazy?!" :afraid:

smontanaro
March 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Dude, someone needs to drug test this guy.

It's obvious that whatever drugs he's on they aren't performance enhancing. :D

BillS
March 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
The fact that I am flabbier than Mr. Thornton is clearly established in our foregoing dialog, and our little junk science experiment will not shed any light on that question. I assume, perhaps foolishly, but hopefully nonetheless, that Mr. Thornton will refrain from making public comments about how loosely the suit fits him, and will be able to resist using words like "baggy", "huge", "elephant-skin", or "Did Paul-freaking-Smith send me his suit instead as a joke?"

I anxiously await the results, however, to see what they may tend to show on the issue of which of us is the lazier, for it is difficult, if not impossible, to imagine anyone lazier than I.

ourswimmer
March 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
But why do I just feel like I and the rest of my fellow masters swimmers were called "flabby and lazy?!" :afraid:

eh, it's all relative. "Fit" at my age, and working out a lot compared to most professionals, might well seem a little flabby or lazy at half my age in a D1 swim program. It's not too surprising that a college coach thinks his or her swimmers should not be in quite as good a position as people who could be their mothers to benefit from compression suits (although it is a little surprising that one would say so in print).

Jazz Hands
March 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
The phrase "flabby, lazier swimmers" bugs me enormously. What coach said that? Flabby does not imply lazy at all, especially among elite swimmers. Some people just carry more body fat.

Tim L
March 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM
The phrase "flabby, lazier swimmers" bugs me enormously. What coach said that? Flabby does not imply lazy at all, especially among elite swimmers. Some people just carry more body fat.

They did not attribute that line to any particular coach which makes you wonder whether anyone really said it. I have yet to see an elite swimmer that is flabby and lazy.

Phil Whitten's pole vaulting analogy seems to be overstating the benefit to me.

Also, how do Georgia and Minnesota struggle to get tech suits, but everyone apparently in Division III has no troubles getting tech suits such that the small college in Iowa can't qualify anyone for nationals? Also, wouldn't Michigan crush Penn State and Northwestern in a duel meet even if Michigan wore traditional suits and PSU and Northwestern wore tech suits?

Is it just me or is the WSJ slowly evolving into the USA Today?

Tim

Ripple
March 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Skin gets looser as you age, no question about it. It's not a question of being "flabby" so much as just having more square meterage of skin than you need to cover your bod. Tech suits probably give more of an advantage to older swimmers, say 50 and up.

KEWebb18
March 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM
This wouldn't be such a big issue with college teams shelling out $$$ for the suits if they compared the amount of money allotted to swimming and diving programs for travel, equipment, and recruiting compared to the amount those universities spent on their football programs for the same....But that is another conversation for another thread.....:bitching:

The Fortress
March 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
This wouldn't be such a big issue with college teams shelling out $$$ for the suits if they compared the amount of money allotted to swimming and diving programs for travel, equipment, and recruiting compared to the amount those universities spent on their football programs for the same....But that is another conversation for another thread.....:bitching:

Another thread?! Previously vented in perhaps a 100 previous threads. Full of vitriol, no less. lol

Thanks, Ripple. Just another reason Jim T. will go super fast with his magic B70!

jim thornton
March 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I hear the water is going to be cold at Colony Zones this year.

We have long been advised to "layer" our clothing in cold conditions.

What is the current legal (I am not interested in ethical) status of suit stacking in someone who catches a chill very easily?

Would my times count if i were to, say, wear a Tyr under a FS1, under a vest of bubble wrap I've made for myself, under a borrowed B70?

Some may say this is too much. I only ask, is it legal?

Oh, and one more thing. How do you do a flip turn if you are unable to submerge yourself more than 3 or 4" underwater?

Until Colony Zones, I plan to weight lift like crazy so I will have a plausible way to explain (or explain away) any time improvements (or decrements) I may or may not see.

Allen Stark
March 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Obviously I can have that second helping of pie knowing it will help my buoyancy while my abdomen is compressed by my suit.

Karen Duggan
March 24th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Wookie! YOU ARE A GOD? Who knew? Wow, high praise from a dingbat :D

I do have a serious question based on an experience:

I swam a meet a couple of weeks ago with my B70 with a Nike suit underneath (as I mentioned, the B70 went on in about a minute!) However, I wished I could have taken off the suit underneath. Felt like too much suit for a race.

This weekend I swam another meet (this time with Strep that I didn't know I had until Monday morning : [ ). I noticed I had A LOT more water in my suit this time. It seriously took me a couple of days to figure out what had been different (no suit underneath). The Strep was talking I guess!!!

Anyway, I figured it was my "bustliness". I am a 34 B/C. It was hard to get comfortable in the B70 with "the girls".

Would it be legal to wear a jog bra under the B70? It's not a suit, but it would keep us more comfortable (the girls and me ; ] )

smontanaro
March 24th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Skin gets looser as you age, no question about it. It's not a question of being "flabby" so much as just having more square meterage of skin than you need to cover your bod.

Yeah, but I definitely have something filling up the space between my extra square meterage of skin and the "real me".

Chris Stevenson
March 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I swam a meet a couple of weeks ago with my B70 with a Nike suit underneath (as I mentioned, the B70 went on in about a minute!) However, I wished I could have taken off the suit underneath. Felt like too much suit for a race.

Would it be legal to wear a jog bra under the B70? It's not a suit, but it would keep us more comfortable (the girls and me ; ] )

Based on this post I don't think either of those things -- extra suit or jogging bra -- are legal anymore. Just bikini briefs.

(But Jim, you should wear male briefs...)

Karen Duggan
March 25th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I am not wearing a jammer as a bra! :D

I do see Alhamss... (however you spell her name!) point about modesty. IMHO women could have modesty issues "up high". If you can wear a jammer, or a bikini brief, why not a jog bra? Makes no sense to me.

"Wait, it's discrimination! That's what it is. I'm being discriminated against b/c I am 'chesty'. NOT FAIR. NOT FAIR. FINA did not take into consider the well endowed woman. Hmmph."

Quick call a Wahhhhhhmbulance. (She's crazy!)
:lmao:

ande
March 25th, 2009, 11:38 AM
cream puff you are neither flabby nor lazy
geek describes you as a hot & taut

Okay, I chuckled at Ande's comment. But why do I just feel like I and the rest of my fellow masters swimmers were called "flabby and lazy?!" :afraid:

orca1946
March 25th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Oh yeah!! Flabby nationally ranked swimmers?!!:bow:

lefty
March 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I don't believe it for a minute. I'm sure they've suited up for other meets this season. These days you've got to suit up to swim fast enough to qualify. They may not be getting any brand new suits for NCs, but I'm sure they've got suits.

I posted this two weeks ago: it is a lot harded to get 8 of these than 1. And Aubrun needs more like 20 because anyone who does breaststroke plus any other stroke ideally wears two types. But you are right, people will simply wear old suits. And then not do as well as they could have. And we'll chalk it up to another example of how life isn't fair, as if that somehow makes it okay...

aquageek
March 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
And we'll chalk it up to another example of how life isn't fair, as if that somehow makes it okay...

Boy, that's really dramatic. Life being unfair doesn't make it ok, it merely is a fact. There are unfairnesses in every single sport on the planet, every league, every game, every workout, every practice. And, there's no way to legislate against it - imagine how utterly boring sports would be with a level playing field.

knelson
March 25th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I'll tell you what's unfair: any team that can afford to suit up its swimmers with spanking new LZRs twice in a season!

thewookiee
March 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Hey thewookiee
From your posts, you don't seem to know the difference between experienced competitive swimming and experienced competitive spending on swimsuits.

Dolphin 2

Do you really want to go down this road?

ps. Why won't you answer the question about what team you supposedly belong too?

chowmi
March 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
This article appeared on the Sports page of the WSJ on Tuesday, 03/24/09. In my book that's the second best day of the week, given it's fluff news for the Monday paper and i'm ready to read some real news by Tuesday. (Weekend edition is my favorite!) It is the main article, taking up columns 2-6 of 6 columns across, and approximately 2/3 the way down the page, inclusive of the picture.

Any news is great news for swimming. NYT always is my favorite for covering other interesting sports (plus swimming) now & then; so it's nice to see big articles like this for a change.

And keep in mind that Futterman's got to make it INTERESTING for the general masses to read. Out of all the material he should have researched, he's only going to put the juicy bits in the article and of course use words like Flabby and Lazy!

alexswim
March 25th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I have one of these suits from Aqua Zone and I love it. I dont have flab and I did increase my time. I hear that the FINA is making it harder to approve them but they will probably be around for awhile.

knelson
March 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I have one of these suits from Aqua Zone and I love it. I dont have flab and I did increase my time.

I don't know about you, but personally my goal is to decrease my times! :)

SwimStud
March 26th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I don't know about you, but personally my goal is to decrease my times! :)

...and still no luck after all these years Kirk.... ;)

hehe c'mon that was a lay-up

Karen Duggan
March 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I wish we could combine all of these threads about tech suits.

Chris Stevenson
March 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I wish we could combine all of these threads about tech suits.

That would instantly decrease the number of USMS threads by half...

Obviously many people are tired of this subject. But since we don't have Dara Torres to kick around anymore, if the tech suits ceased to be controversial, what the heck would we talk about? :)

aquageek
March 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Obviously many people are tired of this subject. But since we don't have Dara Torres to kick around anymore, if the tech suits ceased to be controversial, what the heck would we talk about? :)

Title IX or life in Carlos' America.

Allen Stark
March 29th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I saw yesterday on the speedo website that they are now offering financing.

Dolphin 2
March 30th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I saw yesterday on the speedo website that they are now offering financing.

Yee Gadds - Now people are going to Speedo to get financing because they have to take out the equivalent of a mortgage to buy one of their expensive tech suits???

If you thought the sub-prime real estate crisis is a fiasco, now Speedo has come up with this absolutely absurd idea.

And I thought you only read about this kind of insanity in MAD Magazine!!! :bolt:

Dolphin 2

lefty
March 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Yee Gadds - Now people are going to Speedo to get financing because they have to take out the equivalent of a mortgage to buy one of their expensive tech suits???

If you thought the sub-prime real estate crisis is a fiasco, now Speedo has come up with this absolutely absurd idea.

And I thought you only read about this kind of insanity in MAD Magazine!!! :bolt:

Dolphin 2

Dolphin, you have become OCD over this issue. I don't mean in an annoying way, I mean in a not metally healthy way. It is clear that the fight has taken on greater meaning to you than the actual issue.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, the suit....

Dolphin 2
March 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Dolphin, you have become OCD over this issue. I don't mean in an annoying way, I mean in a not metally healthy way. It is clear that the fight has taken on greater meaning to you than the actual issue.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, the suit....

Hey Lefty
Frankly I believe all the people that are spending big $$$ on expensive suits are actually experiencing "CSD" (compulsive spending disorder) and they aren't exactly mentally healthy either.

However instead of seeing a shrink, they should be seeking the advice of a debt counselor.

After reading the previous post, I have the hilarious thought of hearing people standing in line at a soup kitchen and one of person asks the other "Are you in debt because you were ripped off by a sub-prime mortgage broker?" -and then he then replies "No, I'm in debt because I took out a loan from Speedo over my swim suit". :confused:

Dolphin 2

Glider
March 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
There is definitely something wrong with your behavior here, seriously...

Hey Lefty
Frankly I believe all the people that are spending big $$$ on expensive suits are actually experiencing "CSD" (compulsive spending disorder) and they aren't exactly mentally healthy either.

However instead of seeing a shrink, they should be seeking the advice of a debt counselor.

After reading the previous post, I have the hilarious thought of hearing people standing in line at a soup kitchen and one of person asks the other "Are you in debt because you were ripped off by a sub-prime mortgage broker?" -and the he then replies "No, I'm in debt because I took out a loan from Speedo over my swim suit". :confused:

Dolphin 2

orca1946
March 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Can I get the FED to bail me out to get a LZR??

lefty
March 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hey Lefty

After reading the previous post, I have the hilarious thought of hearing people standing in line at a soup kitchen and one of person asks the other "Are you in debt because you were ripped off by a sub-prime mortgage broker?" -and the he then replies "No, I'm in debt because I took out a loan from Speedo over my swim suit". :confused:

Dolphin 2

An interesting glimpse into your neurosis. Let me sum this up for everyone: The reason that Dolphin is so passionate about the suit issue is because his kids (sister maybe?) have made poor spending choices and he feels guilty about it. I cannot (yet) see the bridge between the two issues but I am sure that it is there.

chowmi
March 30th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Would someone please post a link pointing out the financing option? All my bankruptcy collegues (sp) would die laughing!!!

I want to see what the interest rate is!
Is there one of those "universal rate hike" provisions?
How many months for free?

My husband and I would love to see it. That would be right up there with the wedding chapels that you can finance the wedding FOR UP TO 7 YEARS!! - but only if you sucker someone else to also co-sign on the note!!!

nkfrench
March 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.speedousa.com/helpdesk/index.jsp?display=payment&subdisplay=bml