PDA

View Full Version : swimming better in cold water

Mc Yummy
March 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I am here in the Philippines, born and raised here, the place that i'm swimming at is open air, meaning the whole pool is exposed to outside weather. it's summer here now and it'll be like this until the end of may, i've started swimming just last year around january and what i've noticed is that I swim better and longer in cold water/weather than in the summer months, right now I just can barely finish a 1k front crawl in 40 mins. while in the rainy season I can go 3k without stopping... well I know if i stop swimming even for just a couple of minutes i'll get cold :) but still I can push myself that far.

how is this?

knelson
March 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
how is this?

Simple heat transfer. The greater the differential between your body temperature and the water temp, the more heat your body will trasnfer to the water. Obviously there's a point where your body is losing more heat than you are generating by swimming and below that temparature you'll just get colder. The opposite thing is likely happening to you when you swim in the summer. The water isn't too far below your body temperature so you can't effectively dissipate any of the heat you are generating by swimming. You overheat and can't continue swimming.

Mc Yummy
March 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM
thanks!