PDA

View Full Version : Seeking workout in or near Chandler on 4/6/09

Daniel Slosberg
March 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I swim with SCAQ in Los Angeles but am visiting Chandler the first weekend of April. I'm looking for a workout on Monday morning, 4/6/09, preferably early and preferably distance freestyle.

I checked "Places to Swim" at the USMS site, but there are so many entries for the Chandler/Tempe/Phoenix area that I got discombobulated. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Kurt Dickson
March 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Sun Devil is the closest real team.

Brophy is next closest.

Probably some minor players in between.

Daniel Slosberg
March 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks for clearing things up for me. I'll look into both of those before I head east.

-Daniel

aztimm
March 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
There used to be (probably still is) a team that works out at the old Chandler High School on Arizona Ave, just north of Chandler Blvd. Pretty small group, maybe 5-7 people show up, but there is a coach. The pool there was refurbished about 4-5 years ago, and is one of the best pools I've swam in, at least in Arizona.

There's also lap swimming available at the Hamilton pool, at Hamilton High School (Arizona Ave between Queen Creek and Ocotillo). While not a formal group, there are people who go, meet, and do workouts together. I think lap swimming runs from 5 to 7:30 AM and costs either $1.50 or $2.

Let me know if you need more info on either. I live in Chandler, but swim with Sun Devil Masters @ ASU, mostly because it is more convenient for work. Our Monday workouts are typically IM, but not always.

Daniel Slosberg
March 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the info about Chandler High and Hamilton. I found a contact for the Chandler High team and e-mailed for times.

-Daniel

orca1946
March 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I also will check them out when I get to the sunshine state. Thanx for the info.

Daniel Slosberg
April 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Ended up having a great workout at Chandler High School yesterday morning, 5:45 - 6:45. Thanks for everyone's help (especially coach Bryan of Desert Thunder Aquatics).

-Daniel

aztimm
April 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Ended up having a great workout at Chandler High School yesterday morning, 5:45 - 6:45. Thanks for everyone's help (especially coach Bryan of Desert Thunder Aquatics).

-Daniel

I'm glad you were able to get in a workout, and Bryan is really good. I'd probably swim there more often, except the drive from there to my office in the morning isn't pleasant.

How many people showed up? Isn't that a fantastic pool? The locker rooms and showers are a bit strange tho....

Daniel Slosberg
April 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
It was just the two of us, i.e. Bryan and I. He's working on getting the Chandler program started up again after a hiatus. Great pool, but I can't say anything about the locker rooms and showers since I didn't use them.

-Daniel