PDA

View Full Version : Pentathlon Times-But I need advice for improvement

surfmore691
March 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM
50 fly - I went in 33.14, this was my first time ever competitively swimming butterfly, and my coach seeded me in at 35, so I guess I did ok..
50 back - I went in 37.xx, this was also my first time ever competitively swimming backstroke, but I feel I could've done better...
50 breast - (feel free to laugh, and hard) I went in either 48 or 58, breaststroke is obviously my worst stroke...and I thought I was DQed anyway for a dolphin when I hit the water, I wasn't thinking...
50 free - I am disappointed in myself for this race...I almost missed my heat, I ran across the deck to make it when I heard swimmers take your marks...had a HORRIBLE flipturn and only did it in 28.3, I am aiming for 26.9 or under next time.
100 IM - My first time ever swimming an IM, I was ahead in my heat by 3 seconds I was told, until breaststroke...so then I got second with a guy beating me by maybe 4 feet...but I swam in 1:18, my first time ever doing an IM...

- I'd just appreciate any advice you have for these swims, I've tried searching and haven't found much, and when coach brings out the camera, I'll get films of myself doing every stroke in put them up here for contructive criticism.

hofffam
March 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
It is really hard to give you any specific advice based just on times. We don't even know how old you are nor your overall swimming experience. I think your times seem reasonable. Your breaststroke is clearly weak - probably because of technique since your freestyle and fly show you have some "speed." The 100 IM is deceptively tiring - much more so than a 100 free. So you need some fitness. The turns can be a factor too. The good news is that as you improve each of your strokes your IM will just about automatically improve.

surfmore691
April 1st, 2009, 06:28 PM
well, haha, I don't really have any speed for my age group, I am 16 and am a junior in high school.

hofffam
April 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
You can get lots of good advice from here. It usually helps if you be a bit more specific with your questions and of course give us as much information as you can.

I have a 16 yr. old son who is a swimmer. So I can now compare your times to people I know well (including my son's teammates).

I can tell you that most 16 yr. olds can improve very quickly and significantly with a bit of work.

I suggest you think a bit about your goals. Do you want to make your breaststroke time respectable? Do you want to become a fast butterfly guy? Etc. It will be hard for you to simply get good at all four strokes. Very few people are. They will all get faster as your conditioning and strength improve.

Just a few general suggestions:

1. never blow off practice
2. make every practice a good one - even on a bad day when you don't feel good make it a practice you care about and pay attention to
3. in general you will race how you practice. If your flip turns in practice are sloppy they will probably be sloppy when you race
4. video is a great tool to see what you are doing

orca1946
April 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Well, your age gives you lots of time to improve. work at being better at turns. This will aid in all the stroke. Do you have a coach that will work with you to improve??