PDA

View Full Version : Please help I suck at swimming

Jazz Hands
March 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Is anyone else getting sick of these threads? Maybe Swimming Faster Faster should be a sticky.

ViveBene
March 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I would endorse a sticky for "Swimming Faster Faster" thread, and another for "Help! I'm swimming my first OW meet! How do I prepare?"

I suppose such questions will always be around, so I just read Fort's marvellous novella/sprint technique/exercise physiology self-improvement blog, or go to the movies with Jimb'y, and am happy.

:)

notsofast
March 29th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I think it is important to remember that the faster you are in the pool, the more you become an ambassador for your sport. You can embrace that challenge or ignore it.
Of course, that's easy for me to say, because I suck at swimming.

Bobinator
March 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Well Notsofast there are lots of archived information......and if you google (or yahoo, or whatever) swimming technique you will get lots of info and dvd's. Total Immersion Swimming has tons of great info (some directly geared to non-swimmers /complete novices) including a blog where you can direct questions to TI coaches and they respond with great answers.

ALM
March 29th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Is anyone else getting sick of these threads? Maybe Swimming Faster Faster should be a sticky.

When a new user registers with the Forums, maybe they should be required to show that they have searched and read the archives before posting on any of the following topics:

Help, my {insert event here} time really sucks

Help, I have a (insert malady here) injury

How do my times compare to those of other {insert age group here}

Help, my (Lycra) swimsuit is falling apart

Help, I'm swimming in my first {meet, OW swim, Olympics}

Should I lift weights?

What brand of {goggles, suit, fins} is the best?

Is {insert famous swimmer's name here} taking steroids?

ViveBene
March 30th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I do appreciate posters who mention, "I've searched the forums," but it is in the nature of forums that some posters will be far more seasoned and knowledgeable (even if only as readers rather than swimmers). Repetitive questions seem to make up a small percentage* of overall volume, but they will likely exist as long as open registration exists. And the answers, if any, can be surprising. A case in point is the recent thread on how to race the 100 FR, which got a worthy string of responses.

*Because the blogs are siphoning off some of the more focused discussions, repetitive "How do I X" questions could start consuming a larger part of the territory in the forums.

:)

aquageek
March 30th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Is anyone else getting sick of these threads?

Hater

ande
March 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM
dear jazz,

please don't be so tough on yourself
even with guys going 18.4 in the 50
I completely understand

consider training a little further or getting even stronger,
maybe you'll swim faster faster

ande

CreamPuff
March 30th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Jazz,

I think you're a pretty fast swimmer - certainly on the 50s. Plus, you have a rockin' bod! :)

aquageek
March 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Plus, you have a rockin' bod! :)

Get a room.

orca1946
March 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I guess those of that have been at this for a long time forget how tough it can be doing something as scarey as swimming!!

ande
March 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
hope he knows I was just kidding
we do get a lot of the same questions and newbies haven't figured out how to search through old threads. I'd be honored for
Swim Faster Faster to be sticky
eventually I may run out of swim faster faster tips

hope to interview Jimmy F. soon to
hear how he dropped from 43.4 to 41.4 in a year.

ande

btw heard geek said you have a rockin bod too and he wants to be president of CreamPuffers
the official creampuff fan club

jazz is buff but not like creampuff

Jazz,

I think you're a pretty fast swimmer - certainly on the 50s. Plus, you have a rockin' bod! :)

orca1946
March 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Like puff the magic dragon?

Jazz Hands
March 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Get a room.

Yeah, seriously.