PDA

View Full Version : training while early stages of pregnancy

samsim
March 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I am avid masters swimmer-training 10-12 hours per week total, with 4 two hour workouts in pool per week. 6,000 yds average I would say. My doc says I can swim during pregnancy-but he doesn't understand the concept of swim training vs. lap swimming. Anybody have any info? It would be greatly appreciated.

orca1946
March 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hi. If you have already been swimming, then you can continue to do so with forthought in mind to listen to your body. No starts from the blocks , nobody hitting your new belly on backstroke & so on.Good luck.

Bobinator
March 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I ran through 2 of my pregnancys and swam through 1. You need to keep your heart rate in check. Talk to your Dr. about heart rate limits.
I found that my tiredness (early stages), nausea (early stages), and sheer size (later stages) limited the intensity of my workouts.
I believe working out made labor, delivery, and recovery much easier. All 3 of my kids were over 9 lbs. with short labor, quick delivery, and no drugs.
Good luck and communicate with Dr. and make him/her understand what you want to do so he/she can advise you properly and keep things in check!

tjrpatt
March 31st, 2009, 02:53 PM
There is this woman who swims with us once in a while who beat her husband in the triathlon last summer while she was pregnant. Of course, she was a few months into the pregnancy when she did it.

There is this other woman who is probably due in a few months who is still swimming pretty hard. I think that she is still doing flipturns. She did it the last time she was pregnant at 8 months.

This stuff is pretty amazing to see and hear about. Especially a pregnant woman doing a triathlon and beating her husband.

gobears
March 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
I was fortunate to be able to exercise regularly through three pregnancies (right up to the morning of delivery). I found this book very helpful:

Amazon.com: Exercising Through Your Pregnancy: James F. Clapp III: Your Store

Congrats!

swimshark
April 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM
You can do almost everything you did before you got pregnant just listen to your body more. Ask your doctor about your heart rate limit. I think mine was 120-130. I modified things like no hypoxic and when we did vertical kicking I didn't lift my arms straight over my head (still had my hands out of the water, though) and near the end, I moved down a lane to go slower. If I felt my heart rate getting too high, I would stop or slow down. If I felt nauseous, I would do open turns and skipped the flip turns. I never had the issue of not being able to flip due to my size. I swam until 3 weeks before giving birth when I was told I had to go on rest time and no exercise. Good luck and enjoy.