PDA

View Full Version : 2009 USMS Zone Championships

ande
March 31st, 2009, 10:38 AM
2009 USMS SCY Zone Championships

Please post links to yours
Let's talk about swimmers & their swims

Here's

2009 USMS South Central SCY Zone Championships (http://www.cisdaquatics.com/media/pdf-final-meet-results-south-central-masters-zones.pdf)
Southlake, Texas
Fri Mar 27th - Sun Mar 29th

The Fortress
March 31st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Michelle Chow swam super fast in this meet -- in all 4 strokes! :applaud:

Colonies Zones is at http://www.patriotmasters.org/Colonies.April.2009.Entry.pdf

April 24-26

jim thornton
March 31st, 2009, 12:47 PM
Leslie, could you please ask the Powers that Be in your wonderful Zone to update the Zonesman Records in the LCM and SCM categories? I am currently a tri-venue Zonesman, and I feel certain such status will not last much longer, but would like to have my ephemerati listed for all spider bots crawling over the web to register and celebrate in one place, and one time, in their creepy spidery way!

By the end of our upcoming SCY Zones meet, I suspect I will be a bi-venue Zonesman. By the end of next summers LCM meet, a uni-venue Zonesman. And by the end of next winter's SCM meet, a nul-venue Zonesman.

Please, let me have my three-headed salad days officially posted for one last brief interlude in human history!

ande
March 31st, 2009, 12:58 PM
Michelle wore a LZR in most of her races.

Laura "Holt" Glass was the fastest woman at the meet.
She held Texas & National age group records I think as a 10 & under and maybe in 11 & 12 too. One of those rare breastroker / backstrokers.
Decent Freestyle
She is STRONG

Tyler had an excellent 400 IM, he opted to swim 2 events each day.

Michelle Chow swam super fast in this meet -- in all 4 strokes! :applaud:

mpmartin
March 31st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Damn Ande you are fast.... and I am so SLOW... Congratulations!

The Fortress
March 31st, 2009, 03:08 PM
Michelle wore a LZR in most of her races.

Laura "Holt" Glass was the fastest woman at the meet.

I hope Michelle wore it since she's not going to Clovis to kick a$$ there. Laura Glass is very fast, but she is 28.

QBrain had good swims too.

Jimby,

I don't think CZ keeps SCM records ... Or not that I know of ... Jeff keeps track of the LCM records, so you can take your request up with him!

jim thornton
March 31st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Leslie, go to this link and you will find the records, which do NOT appear to have been updated lately for LCM or SCM, though my Zonesman status is duly noted in the SCY...

http://www.colonieszone.org/comp/zonerecordsscy.htm#TOP

Note: you are currently a bi-venue zoneswoman, thanks to outstanding times in 2007. But 2008 have not been added yet for LCM or SCM, only SCY.

Please let Mr. Roddin know it is time to stop doing his beer training swims and hit the computer. Hard!

jim clemmons
March 31st, 2009, 05:33 PM
Jimbo -

It appears that both the 1000 and 1650 await your effort. Go get 'em!

chowmi
March 31st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Jim,

No matter what records you have, the important thing is..you will always hail from.....Allegheny Mountain! Go Steelers! (I love saying that down here, except if I think it will REALLY get me beaten up).

Laura and Mark Glass are a USMS love story. They met at 2006 SC zones in Houston. Jill Gellatly played a pivotal role in allowing them to get connected.

Mark Glass swam at 2005 nationals with open turns; he didn't know how to flip turn. Either that or he had just learned how to flip turn. Over the next several years, he branched out and now swim others strokes, too. This year, he went to USA Sectionals in the 50 free! AMAZING how his swimming has come along!

Laura is a wonderful person. She was an age group phenom and swam a few years at TCU, then transferred to UT on a rowing scholarship. She was also in the honors academic program, or something like that. Whatever that track is for really smart college people.

They got married last summer and I was honored to be invited, in fact they invited my whole family which is no small thing as we all know the invites are x$ per person. What an honor.

Laura is swimming lifetime bests. Her 50 free of 23.7 would have made winter USA nationals, 2008. (She already has a USA time of 23.8 which she did about 20 minutes later after a 1:05 100 breast at USA Sectionals AND me standing on the side of her lane 1 yelling Go Laura Yeah! Which only made her laugh.)

She wore a full length FS PRo racerback at zones (and at USA Sectionals).

I can't say enough good things about Laura & Mark. They are wonderful people and fun to swim with.

hofffam
March 31st, 2009, 05:55 PM
I was at the same meet as Ande and Chowmi.....

I was impressed with many swims. I almost never watch the distance events but I was impressed with Chris Derks' (38) 9:50.36 1000 free. Beat the next closest (the great Larry Wood) by 1:01.

Laura Glass' 50 breaststroke was something to see.

One guy swam the 1000 free as a 1000 fly. Don't know why.

pwb
March 31st, 2009, 06:56 PM

I was impressed with many swims. I almost never watch the distance events but I was impressed with Chris Derks' (38) 9:50.36 1000 free.

I only watched the results and was impressed with this. I have to make my way to Texas in 2010 to do some racing. His mile @ 16:29 was even more impressive IMHO.

Gdavis
March 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
2009 New England LMSC Short Course Yards Championship

Results at:

http://www.meetresults.com/2009/nelmscscy/results.shtml

Mike Ross dazzled us with his speed!

pwb
March 31st, 2009, 07:29 PM
2009 New England LMSC Short Course Yards Championship

Results at:

http://www.meetresults.com/2009/nelmscscy/results.shtml

Mike Ross dazzled us with his speed!

... and Ethan Saulnier with his endurance ... the mile time to beat across all age groups this year:
1 Saulnier, Ethan 38 Y of North Shore 16:05.78

tjrpatt
March 31st, 2009, 08:24 PM
I was able to see some of the New England races online live which was very cool. It is so funny how the New England meet is actually larger than Colonies Zones. Plus, there is so much talent in all of those small little states.

16:05 in the mile, what is the Olympic Trial or National Cut? Wow, really impressive at any age.

I hate that my Zones are so late this year. Next year, I might have to taper for some meet in March since it did wonders for pwbrundage.

ALM
March 31st, 2009, 08:28 PM
2009 Breadbasket Zone Championships

Results at:

http://www.movymasters.org/20090329ZoneMeetResultsSCY.htm

New national record in the 65-69, 50 Breast by Peter Anderson.

some_girl
March 31st, 2009, 09:16 PM
I was able to see some of the New England races online live which was very cool. It is so funny how the New England meet is actually larger than Colonies Zones. Plus, there is so much talent in all of those small little states.

Part of it is that year in and year out it is the best run meet I have ever attended -- way better than any of the Nationals even. Positive check-in for every event means every heat is full and the folks putting on the meet get the heat sheets and results out faster than we really have any right to expect.

Then, it is three days instead of two and the numbers mean plenty of time between events, so you can swim a lot of events. Three a day plus relays is pretty doable, and you can try new events out or swim everything you want to. On top of that, the numbers combined with seeding by gender and time but not age mean every heat is competitive, which is so much fun and pretty hard to find (at least around here). And the pool is fantastic.

Plus, it is closer to New York than the Zones meet ever are, so NYC teams go too.

The last weekend in March has become one of my faves because it means I will always be there. (Helps I had a good meet too this year.) But seriously, if you ever have a chance, GO.

tjrpatt
March 31st, 2009, 09:27 PM
But seriously, if you ever have a chance, GO.

Maybe I will look into it next year even though it is a pain to drive through NYC and it is a longer drive to Boston than in DC. We will see what happens. From one I saw online, they really got into the next heat pretty fast. Plus, swimming at that meet is kind of like nationals because there are quite a few Top Ten people that come from New England in my age group.

Charge
March 31st, 2009, 11:28 PM
I did not have a great Zones, which is to be expected after not training for almost 3 months, but my swims were respectable for me.

22.95 50 free relay lead off
30.0 50 Breast
25.5 50 Fly
23.3 50 free

I kept having my goggle fill up with water on day 2, couldn't figure out why.

The Glass family kicked butt at that meet.

I was amazed at how often and how well Ande swam!

Michelle Chow had some great swims.

I always have fun watching Tyler swim.

I did catch a bit of sad news at the meet, apparently a highly ranked swimmer from WMST lost part of a finger or severely injured his hand on Friday in an accident with a belt sander, he and his wife missed the meat. Prayers go out to he and his wife as they deal with this.

knelson
April 1st, 2009, 12:27 AM
I only watched the results and was impressed with this. I have to make my way to Texas in 2010 to do some racing. His mile @ 16:29 was even more impressive IMHO.

Certainly impressive, but sort of pales in comparison to the 16:32 he swam at LC Nats in the 1500.

pwb
April 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Part of it is that year in and year out it is the best run meet I have ever attended -- way better than any of the Nationals even. Positive check-in for every event means every heat is full and the folks putting on the meet get the heat sheets and results out faster than we really have any right to expect.

Then, it is three days instead of two and the numbers mean plenty of time between events, so you can swim a lot of events. Three a day plus relays is pretty doable, and you can try new events out or swim everything you want to. On top of that, the numbers combined with seeding by gender and time but not age mean every heat is competitive, which is so much fun and pretty hard to find (at least around here). And the pool is fantastic.

Plus, it is closer to New York than the Zones meet ever are, so NYC teams go too.

The last weekend in March has become one of my faves because it means I will always be there. (Helps I had a good meet too this year.) But seriously, if you ever have a chance, GO.

This does sound good. Is it always held at Harvard or does the facility rotate? I swam @ Harvard back in the early 80s and remember it being a great pool.

Looking at all of these Zones meets gives me so many ideas of places to travel to swim in the future.

ande
April 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM
MP,
thank you
I know you can Swim Faster Faster.
Work on it

Damn Ande you are fast.... and I am so SLOW... Congratulations!

Michelle,
thanks for the background on the Glass/Holt love story
great to see you, congratulations on your swims

hofffam,
glad you went
please introduce yourself to me next time

Pat,
Derks was impressive, he's had and still has some serious back issues. Which is why he only swam 2 events. He doesn't look as fast as he is, but he wore a LZR which cut him on the back of his neck from rubbing.
We'd love to see you at a TX Zone meet.

Ande

Gdavis
April 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM

As a first timer at this meet I was tremendously impressed with the organization and the quality of the competition. Harvard's pool is a fast, quality venue for the meet, despite its advancing years. (A little like many of the competitors!) Plus all the modern technology live timing and web results stuff is great. Thank you Rick Osterberg and team!

Daaaave
April 1st, 2009, 01:49 PM
As a first timer at this meet I was tremendously impressed with the organization and the quality of the competition. Harvard's pool is a fast, quality venue for the meet, despite its advancing years. (A little like many of the competitors!) Plus all the modern technology live timing and web results stuff is great. Thank you Rick Osterberg and team!

Gdavis--You played a big role in the quality of the competition yourself with some amazing swims--nicely done.

Rick has to be considered among the best in the meet management business; if running a meet were swimming the mile, he'd have even beat Saulnier.

some_girl
April 1st, 2009, 01:56 PM
This does sound good. Is it always held at Harvard or does the facility rotate? I swam @ Harvard back in the early 80s and remember it being a great pool.

It is always at Harvard. The pool is still fantastic and I particularly enjoy that there is no bulkhead for the competition course. Lots of warmdown space, too.

orca1946
April 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM
It sounds like a great place to swim.

Rich Abrahams
April 5th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Results aren't posted yet, but there were some excellent swims at the Colo.short course championships today and yesterday.

Probably most outstanding were the swims from my training partner, Sheri Hart (35-39), who led off the medley relay in 26.17 breaking her own national record of 26.93. She also swam a 56.3 100 back (another record), a 58something 100, IM just missing Susan VDL's record and lifetime bests in the 50 free (23.80) and 100 free (51.48). Dara holds those records which are untouchable, but still muy pronto.

Mike Mann, 54, also had a great meet going a 4:55 500, and 1:48 200 and a quick 2:04 200 IM 8 heats after swimming a 49 100 free.

And watch out Rich Burns next year. I swam my first 50 back in 7 years and went a 28.77 which I believe is only .02 off the 65+ record he just set. Thank goodness for SDK!

pwolf66
April 6th, 2009, 08:38 AM
And watch out Rich Burns next year. I swam my first 50 back in 7 years and went a 28.77 which I believe is only .02 off the 65+ record he just set. Thank goodness for SDK!

Nice swim. How'd you handle the vertigo from being forced to look up for a change? :afraid:

Rich Abrahams
April 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Paul,
The shock of slamming my back on the water on the start overcame the vertigo.

I also swam a 50 of the stroke that shall remain nameless for the first time ever in a big meet. It's fun to be in the last year of your age group. None of my peers have anything to worry about there (:32.4).

ande
April 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
rich,

the backstroke start is like a back dive, not a back splat.
Get Sheri to show you what to do.

How many SDKs did you take in your race?
In a 50 bk I tend to take 11 or 12 off the start & 12 on the 2nd 50.

32.4 is a decent 50 breast. Sneak in more SDKs.
5 or 6 might do wonders for it,
wish I could take 12 per length.

Ande

Paul,

I also swam a 50 of the stroke that shall remain nameless for the first time ever in a big meet. It's fun to be in the last year of your age group. None of my peers have anything to worry about there (:32.4).

pwolf66
April 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Paul,

Well, thank GOODNESS that there's _something_ that I'm faster than you in.....:D

since you kill me in the other three strokes.

Still 32.4 for someone who doesn't walk duck footed is quite impressive.

osterber
April 6th, 2009, 03:23 PM
My ears were ringing a bit... Thanks for the compliments on the NE LMSC SCY Meet. We had our biggest meet ever this year, with 859 entrants, and I think 815 people who actually showed up and swam a race. I haven't seen the size of the Pacific Masters champs this year (not sure the meet is even closed yet), but the NE meet may be the second-largest masters meet this year, after nationals. (We usually flip/flip a bit with the Pacific Masters meet in size depending on the year.)

We do hold the meet every year at Harvard. The facility is aging a bit, but it still is (IMHO) the best facility for this meet in the northeast. The only facilities we could even really consider would be the new (or newish now) MIT or BU facilities. MIT offers lots of competition lanes, but overall as a facility, it is a smaller facility. Deck space is much smaller, and MIT's spectator area seats only 400 compared to Harvard's 1200 seats. BU offers 10 SCY lanes to a bulkhead, but with 850 swimmers, they only have 3-4 warmup lanes, which would be very very difficult.

So we squeeze as much as we can into Harvard. We have an experienced team that gets us down to 5-6 seconds between heats when we get on a roll. We try to very carefully balance the speed between heats, and also making sure that swimmers have enough time to get themselves set, etc., for a fair start.

Our biggest problem to date is our popularity. We closed entries about 5 weeks before the main part of the meet started, and we were still at 859 entries by the regular deadline. We may need to make next year's deadline on January 1. With the numbers we had, we were at the pool from 8:00am warmup until around 7:30pm on the Saturday session. We're not sure what to do with all of the interest.

-Rick

Rich Abrahams
April 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Ande,
I think I take about 12 or 13 kicks on both lengths. I was playing this effort totally by ear as I don't swim backstroke in practice. My buddy Chris O'Sullivan, who you met in Long Beach only takes 9 kicks off the start and 10 on the second length and surfaces just before 15 meters. He went a 24.2.

Result are now posted.

http://www.comsa.org/results/2009/StateMeetSCYResults.pdf

Rich

Its a slow show
April 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Rich are you going to Clovis???

Tim L
April 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Paul,

I witnessed the swim and Rich dominated everyone in his heat on the start and turn. The 65+ record is in serious jeopardy next year.

Tim

Rich Abrahams
April 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Slow, I'll be a no show at Clo.

Rich

Its a slow show
April 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Rich,I imagine in your age-group have made alot of people happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember the last couple of Nationals with you and Strand facing-off in the 100 IM. Really exciting stuff.

mctrusty
April 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Tim L had some very nice swims in the CO state meet also. He gave Mr. Mann one heck of a race in the 400 IM (4:32.43 to Mike Mann's 4:32.32).

chowmi
April 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Results aren't posted yet, but there were some excellent swims at the Colo.short course championships today and yesterday.

Probably most outstanding were the swims from my training partner, Sheri Hart (35-39), who led off the medley relay in 26.17 breaking her own national record of 26.93. She also swam a 56.3 100 back (another record), a 58something 100, IM just missing Susan VDL's record and lifetime bests in the 50 free (23.80) and 100 free (51.48). Dara holds those records which are untouchable, but still muy pronto.

Mike Mann, 54, also had a great meet going a 4:55 500, and 1:48 200 and a quick 2:04 200 IM 8 heats after swimming a 49 100 free.

I can't say enough good things about Sheri Hart, either! She is such an inspiration. She swam with DAMM for a couple of years while the Hart family lived in Dallas. She always had a great work ethic, and her versatility is amazing. She ran the Dallas White Rock Marathon one year and came to swim practice the next day!! Sheri also currently has 3 children, all under the age of 7 (youngest is almost 1 yr!)!!! Congratulations to Sheri!!

Tim L
April 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Tim L had some very nice swims in the CO state meet also. He gave Mr. Mann one heck of a race in the 400 IM (4:32.43 to Mike Mann's 4:32.32).

Thanks. Mike Mann was tremendous at the state meet in everything I saw him swim. I am not sure if he is going to nationals, but I would expect him to swim extremely fast if he does attend. McCrusty, you had some nice swims as well (especially the 200 back which you split extremely well). Have a great time at nationals.

Tim

Allen Stark
April 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The NW zone meet was in Boise the week before a meet in Federal Way so not a lot of swimmers went,but my teammate Wes Edwards-56- went 2:07.74 for the 200 back.

ande
April 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
SPMA Short Course Regional Championship Meet (http://mastersmvnswim.org/2009ShortCourseChamps.html)

ande
April 25th, 2009, 04:15 PM
2009 COLONIES ZONE SHORT COURSE YARDS MEET (http://www.patriotmasters.org/)

rtodd
April 25th, 2009, 05:40 PM
WOW

Event 16 Men 40-44 200 Yard IM
================================================== =======================
ZONE: Z 2:03.06 4/2/2000 Greg Oxley
NATL: ! 1:55.82 5/4/2008 ROQUE SANTOS
Name Age Team Seed Finals Points
1 Ross, Michael 41 MESC 1:55.15 1:51.85! 9
23.80 50.97 (27.17)
1:24.54 (33.57) 1:51.85 (27.31)

Event 24 Men 40-44 50 Yard Backstroke
ZONE: Z 24.45 4/13/2008 Chris Stevenson, VMST-VA
NATL: ! 23.19 5/4/2008 MICHAEL ROSS
1 Ross, Michael 41 MESC 22.99 22.77! 9

Jazz Hands
April 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Event 23 Women 45-49 50 Yard Backstroke
ZONE: Z 29.34 4/15/2007 Vibeke Swanson
NATL: ! 28.00 5/20/2007 K PIPES-NEILSEN
1 Livingston, Les 47 GMUP 29.10 27.90! 9

Nose clips: more than just fashion.

mctrusty
April 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Event 23 Women 45-49 50 Yard Backstroke
ZONE: Z 29.34 4/15/2007 Vibeke Swanson
NATL: ! 28.00 5/20/2007 K PIPES-NEILSEN
1 Livingston, Les 47 GMUP 29.10 27.90! 9Nose clips: more than just fashion.

No foolin'.

ViveBene
April 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Yay Leslie!

:bow:

KEWebb18
April 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
That's some fast swimming up there. Thank goodness I wasn't able to go, I would have been embarrassed!

That Guy
April 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Event 22 Men 35-39 200 Yard Butterfly
================================================== ================
ZONE: Z 1:52.21 5/9/1993 Bill Specht
NATL: ! 1:50.74 5/16/1999 BOBBY PATTEN
Name Age Team Seed Finals
1 Roddin, Jeffrey 39 ANCM 2:00.10 1:58.59
26.82 56.71 (29.89)
1:27.43 (30.72) 1:58.59 (31.16)

This is a very surprising result! I will give 6 cents of fake money (:2cents::2cents::2cents:) to the first person that knows the reason why :D

swimshark
April 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Go Fort!! See you in a few hours. Now... wake up!!!

Chris Stevenson
April 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
26.82 56.71 (29.89)

This is a very surprising result! I will give 6 cents of fake money (:2cents::2cents::2cents:) to the first person that knows the reason why :D

It looks like it might be from last year (I was right next to him when he swam it)...Jeff is now 40 and I think the 200 fly is today, not yesterday.

Great swimming, Fort! As great as your 50 back was, I would have to say I'm more flabbergasted by that 50 breast...your membership in the evilstroke-haters club is definitely under review.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
April 26th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Great swimming, Fort! As great as your 50 back was, I would have to say I'm more flabbergasted by that 50 breast...your membership in the evilstroke-haters club is definitely under review.

And the thing about Fort is, she keeps no secrets!

If anyone wants to know exactly how she swam/swims SO FREEKING FAST, just look at her blog!

She gives it all up, but still even so - not many women are willing to work toward fitness like Leslie does - and share with with us all as well.

Love watching her swim these times!
She deserves it!

All the best today!

P.S. Jimby lovin his B70?

That Guy
April 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM
It looks like it might be from last year (I was right next to him when he swam it)...Jeff is now 40 and I think the 200 fly is today, not yesterday.

Yeah, somehow I ended up looking at the 2008 results page and thought wow, either he found the fountain of youth or something is not quite right here. Here you go... :2cents::2cents::2cents:

That Guy
April 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Three national records today by Michael Ross! Wow! :bow:

Event 42 Men 40-44 50 Yard Butterfly
ZONE: Z 23.72 4/12/2008 Steve Hiltabiddle, UNAT-NJ
NATL: ! 22.82 5/4/2008 STEVE HILTABIDDLE
1 Ross, Michael 41 MESC 23.02 22.61! 9

Event 48 Men 40-44 100 Yard Backstroke
ZONE: Z 51.88 4/13/2008 Chris Stevenson, VMST-VA
NATL: ! 49.40 5/4/2008 MICHAEL ROSS
1 Ross, Michael 41 MESC 49.40 48.49! 9

Event 52 Men 40-44 50 Yard Freestyle
ZONE: Z 21.78 4/21/2002 Michael Fell
NATL: ! 20.95 4/25/2004 PAUL SMITH
1 Ross, Michael 41 MESC 21.25 20.84! 9

rtodd
April 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Does that make five for the meet?

Amazing.

pwolf66
April 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Three national records today by Michael Ross! Wow! :bow:
Event 52 Men 40-44 50 Yard Freestyle
ZONE: Z 21.78 4/21/2002 Michael Fell
NATL: ! 20.95 4/25/2004 PAUL SMITH
1 Ross, Michael 41 MESC 21.25 20.84! 9

The really sick part of that swim was that he didn't surface until about the 13m mark AFTER THE TURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob Butcher (in the lane next to him) was quoted as saying "When I turned and looked at him, I thought 'that :censor: is beating us BACKSTROKE' and I was laughing under water the rest of the race" and went on to explain that Ross was flat on his back dolphin kicking like a madman.

Rob posted a very speedy 21.94 himself.

I watched that heat and I saw Rob and Jeff Roddin surface and I was looking and looking for Ross and WHOOSH, there he comes about a bodylength short of the 15m mark. I've never seen anyone do that in a 50y free. Wow.

ViveBene
April 26th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Event 41 Women 45-49 50 Yard Butterfly
ZONE: Z 28.48 4/12/2008 Leslie Livingston, GMUP-PV
NATL: ! 26.24 5/4/2008 BARBARA SCOULER
1 Livingston, Les 47 GMUP 28.10 27.06Z 9

:cheerleader:

swimshark
April 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Event 41 Women 45-49 50 Yard Butterfly
ZONE: Z 28.48 4/12/2008 Leslie Livingston, GMUP-PV
NATL: ! 26.24 5/4/2008 BARBARA SCOULER
1 Livingston, Les 47 GMUP 28.10 27.06Z 9

:cheerleader:

Go Leslie!! :bow:

Great swims all. I'm sore and pooped but so happy to have spent the weekend with my friends and some great personal bests.

ande
April 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
great swims
Ross is in an entirely different league, looks to me like his 100 bk might be his best race.

Ande

jroddin
April 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM
26.82 56.71 (29.89)

This is a very surprising result! I will give 6 cents of fake money () to the first person that knows the reason why

Yes, as Chris pointed out that was last year when I was 39 for the last time and now I'm 40. But hey, I'm the Registrar! Doesn't that mean I can be any age I want for any meet! :banana:

The Fortress
April 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I would have to say I'm more flabbergasted by that 50 breast...your membership in the evilstroke-haters club is definitely under review.

Hahaha. Me too! WTH?! I swam it in meters recently and that time converted to my seed time. I have no idea how I dropped 3 seconds. I don't even do breaststroke kick in practice.

:confused::confused:

Little Devil:

I think after all your work and fast swimming, you can definitely pick your age. You beat all the younger guys anyway! I really enjoyed watching that speedy 100 IM. As well as all the other fast swims and PBs from Zones. Congrats everyone!

Chris Stevenson
April 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
great swims
Ross is in an entirely different league, looks to me like his 100 bk might be his best race.

According to the official USMS records, his 100 back was the fastest ever by a masters swimmer of any age. And not by just a little bit, either: no other record is under 49.0.

There might be some unverified/unofficial swims out there, I suppose.

Chris Stevenson
April 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Yes, as Chris pointed out that was last year when I was 39 for the last time and now I'm 40. But hey, I'm the Registrar! Doesn't that mean I can be any age I want for any meet! :banana:

Well, I think you want to avoid the 40-44 age group, and not just b/c of Mike Ross. Check out the depth in the 50 fly:

Event 42 Men 40-44 50 Yard Butterfly
ZONE: Z 23.72 4/12/2008 Steve Hiltabiddle, UNAT-NJ
NATL: ! 22.82 5/4/2008 STEVE HILTABIDDLE
1 Ross, Michael 41 MESC 23.02 22.61! 9
2 Hiltabbiddle, S 42 JAM 23.40 23.29Z 7
3 Ammon, Craig 40 UNAT 23.72 23.50Z 6
4 Matheson, Brent 42 JAM 23.99 23.56Z 5
5 Segal, William 44 JAM 24.50 23.62Z 4
6 Tuchler, Jim 44 CUBU 25.00 23.76 3
7 Williams, Neill 41 DCAC 24.60 23.78 2

And this is without Jeff in it! Neill gets SEVENTH with a 23.78, which is within 1 sec of the (old) record? Pretty crazy.

swimmj
April 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hahaha. Me too! WTH?! I swam it in meters recently and that time converted to my seed time. I have no idea how I dropped 3 seconds. I don't even do breaststroke kick in practice.

Lunging is really good for breaststroke kick. Really, really good for it. Great job swimming the 50 - if we ever race breaststroke, let's do a 200...

--mj

tjrpatt
April 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Just say away from my age group(30-34). I have enough people keeping me out of the Top Ten in the 200 fly, I don't need another person to add to the list.

Mswimming
April 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Little Devil:

Maybe the evil stroke is not so bad. I swam the 100 breast over the weekend for my first ever official time in it. I did it in a relay once and a 50 once, but other than that I've never swam a 100 breast and always sandbag it in practice ala reststroke. I went 1:11.10 (33.58/37.52) Go figure. And it was kind of fun. You can actually hear and see people cheer for your (wife and kids). Of course my oldest Son said I looked like more of a spectator than a racer. Too much looking around.

That Guy
April 27th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Just say away from my age group(30-34). I have enough people keeping me out of the Top Ten in the 200 fly, I don't need another person to add to the list.

Even though JRoddin was nice enough to age up before he shaved down, I've been watching my sickly 200 fly time get lower and lower in the 35-39 rankings each week. At this point, it looks like it would take a flu pandemic for me to make the top 10 this year. (And for the record, I really don't want that to happen. :()

tjrpatt
April 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Even though JRoddin was nice enough to age up before he shaved down, I've been watching my sickly 200 fly time get lower and lower in the 35-39 rankings each week. :()

I know the feeling about rankings dropping week after week. So far, my 1650 will make it but there are always those 5 times that come out of no when the the Top Ten listing is posted.