PDA

View Full Version : Wash Post: Dara Torres Making a Splash Again

Dario Tirado
March 31st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Interesting article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/31/AR2009033101872.html) on Torres in today's Wash Post.

Knew she was working to earn a spot on the U.S. team for the world championship later this summer, but had no idea she was thinking of a run at the 2012 olympics. I think that's awesome.

The psychic medium stuff was also news to me, but it works for her and that's what matters.

tjrpatt
March 31st, 2009, 02:47 PM
Why not try for 2012 if she is getting the sponsorship she is getting. Plus, maybe she sees her child more since she doesn't have to do the typical 9-5, now 8-5 job.

stillwater
March 31st, 2009, 03:58 PM
With all the dough Ms. Torres has, I would think she would have gone for a large, rather than a medium.

The Fortress
March 31st, 2009, 04:22 PM
With all the dough Ms. Torres has, I would think she would have gone for a large, rather than a medium.

Really ... And how hard is it to predict someone might still have a kid when they're only 33?!

It does make her sound a bit looney.

stillwater
March 31st, 2009, 05:08 PM
Looney indeed.

Her posse includes a midget, a shaman, and a toddler.

We didn't learn about her pharmacist, lawyer, shrink, and accountant.

However, more power to her. She is an American success story.

And pretty to boot.

A midget, a shaman and a toddler walk into a bar...

SLOmmafan
March 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM
I think there are a lot of older ex-elite swimmers out there who could still be competitive if they got back in the pool, 100% focus. Most swimmers give up after a great Olympics because of the large span between games - four years is a long time to just train and wait. If Phelps is able to even remotely duplicate the success of the 08 games in 2012, we will see an athlete that will have competed at 4 Olympic games and dominated at 3. But he will only be 27 years old. If you think about it, we could still see Michael Phelps winning medals at the 2016 games as a 31 year old swimmer. It all depends on him!

stillwater
March 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM
we could still see Michael Phelps winning medals at the 2016 games as a 31 year old swimmer. It all depends on him!

Not without the midget.

tjrpatt
March 31st, 2009, 08:18 PM
I think that it is easy for Torres to swim fast as her age because she is a sprinter. Now, could a distance swimmer or IMer swim at an elite level in their late 30s or early 40s? It would be cool to see Janet Evans make a comeback.

chowmi
April 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM
I'm lost. Who is the midget? I assume the shaman is the medium/psychic? And the toddler is that...chuck e cheese? No, wait. Tessa.

What's up with the "love monkey" (as described in a previous thread) break up? Gossip and details please!