PDA

View Full Version : Fishtailing

Mookie
March 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hey All,

My coach says I've started 'fishtailing' or snaking with each stroke, and then a friend said the same thing the next day. Fonts of wisdom both, they said 'Try not to'. Well, ok.

Does anyone have any more details? What are some causes? Things to do to fix it? Drills?

TIA :bow:

Allen Stark
March 31st, 2009, 08:49 PM
The most common causes are entering your hand in front of your head instead of your shoulder and not rotating along your long axis enough.

Swimmy83843
April 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM
I've also seen people that when they breath they drop their chin to their shoulder, moving their head out of the long axis, causing the hips to move in the opposite directions.

orca1946
April 4th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Sometimes a cross over kick will have this effect.

chaos
April 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
among the kids that i coach; i notice this tendancy more among swimmers that are strong in the short axis strokes. i think for them it is a combination of A) wanting to feel a bend in the waist on every stroke cycle and B) crossing the center line with their hands on or shortly after entry.

geochuck
April 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Fishtailing is the most common fault and easiest one to correct. Caused mostly by either doing a cross over stroke or a wide underwater stroke.

I usually take a few short videos and let the swimmer see what they are doing wrong. We can all say this is what causes it but when they see it then it is an easy self correct.

Swimmy83843 yes I call it arm pit breathing it really causes fishtailing.

geochuck
May 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
This is Julio. He made the Mexico Special Olympics team. When he first swam with me he was taking 2 minutes to swim a 100M crawl he is now down to 1 minute 10 secnds. He no longer fishtails and is very streamlined now. When I go back to Mexico I will get a new video.

YouTube - Fish tailing