PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Secrets

abc
April 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM
Iím talking about the kind of information that you donít normally share with others. For example, I once went three weeks without washing my swim towel, but I find it disgusting when other people lick the inside of their goggles to keep them from fogging. I also pretend that I donít care about racing anymore, but secretly I still look at everyone's times.

What are some of your swimming secrets?

ande
April 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Here's one of my secrets I've never written about but those who train with me kid me about it sometimes.

I like to brush my teeth before I swim.

scyfreestyler
April 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM
3 weeks without washing a swim towel? Ewww!

Ande, I'm also an avid brusher prior to swimming, although I do it at home, not in the locker room.

jim thornton
April 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
I never use soap.

I figure if you can't get clean from being immersed in chlorinated water many hours each week, soap's not going to help you anyway.

That kind of dirt, no solvent is likely to remove.

jim clemmons
April 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Ande, I'm also an avid brusher prior to swimming, although I do it at home, not in the locker room.

Flossing helps too. I usually floss at night but I'll floss the morning of meets as well. :cool:

jim clemmons
April 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM
I never use soap.

I figure if you can't get clean from being immersed in chlorinated water many hours each week, soap's not going to help you anyway.

That kind of dirt, no solvent is likely to remove.

I agree, soap's overrated. The cavemen (and cavewomen!) survived without soap.

fanstone
April 1st, 2009, 02:36 PM
I pee in the pool.

Mookie
April 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM
I never wash my jammers, for the same reason Jim doesn't use soap. :)

orca1946
April 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I hope that the guys in my age group false start:applaud:

scyfreestyler
April 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
I hope that the guys in my age group false start:applaud:

LOL!!! :cool:

Couroboros
April 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM
Hmm. Speaking of brushing and flossing, does chlorine make your teeth whiter? Because in the months since I started swimming, I could swear my teeth have gotten whiter. I have the whitest teeth in my family now.

Anyway... secrets in my swimming... I have not peed in the pool. Yet.

Sometimes during backstroke, instead of just letting all that annoying phlegm wash all over my lower face I just hawk it all back and spit it out. I'm good at getting it to go pretty high, like past the flags. Don't blanche! I don't do it very often, just when I'm rested enough and breathing is not enough of a hassle that I can actually, you know, do it.

Once, in this shallow 3-ft. pool that I practice at, I used the bottom to speed up my backstroke so impressively that everyone was looking at me.

It seems that my dirty secrets occur during backstroke...

Someone told me that saliva keeps goggles from fogging up. I still refuse to do such a thing as lick the insides of them though.

jim clemmons
April 1st, 2009, 05:04 PM
Hmm. Speaking of brushing and flossing, does chlorine make your teeth whiter? Because in the months since I started swimming, I could swear my teeth have gotten whiter. I have the whitest teeth in my family now.

Anyway... secrets in my swimming... I have not peed in the pool. Yet.

Well, if they start turning yellow, look around and see if Fanstone's in there with ya. You'll look like this guy -> :D but with yellow teeth.

Thrashing Slug
April 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM
I lick the insides of my goggles to keep them from fogging. :D It does work.

In my defense, I also wash my goggles frequently with soap.

aquageek
April 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM

Actually, just the opposite. A dentist friend states that it is a known problem among avid swimmers that teeth will discolor. I think this has come up before on the forum.

I lick my goggles, get over it.

Couroboros
April 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Darn. So I'm supposed to have yellower teeth, then? I don't know if I'm more disappointed about that or the fact that I now still don't know the answer to this little mystery about why they're getting whiter.

I'll probably start licking my goggles sometime. Just not... now.

fanstone
April 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hear, hear! When I was a kid they told me that there was this stuff they put in the pool that would make your pee turn red. That kept me from peeing for a long time. I wash my goggles with shampoo (Johnson's Baby Shampoo) and then use these sprays or whatever that you buy (Speedo) to keep the fog away. I think spitting is gross....billy fanstone

jim thornton
April 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM
I don't quite understand the antipathy to saliva, which is useful in many situations. Is it the idea that saliva in the goggle cups might somehow dribble its way into the eyeballs? I am sure there is a chemical difference between saliva and tears, but I am not sure the difference is enough to brand one of these fluids revolting and the other, well, whatever tears are considered by the squeamish.

Honestly, if saliva is kind of disgusting, wouldn't the last place you would want it to be is your mouth? I am not trying to be a smart alec here. I honestly don't understand.

If you learned to scuba dive back in the day, and probably now, too, the idea of spitting into your mask and swazzling it around with some water, then rinsing, was just how we were taught to keep the mask from fogging up.

As for your teeth whitening, has your commitment to swimming changed any dietary or beverage habits? Do you drink less coffee or tea perhaps? Chew on fewer beetlenuts? I haven't seen the chlorine tooth discoloration thread, and I suppose it's possible, but I don't know if you have been swimming long enough to see a noticeable difference. I know people who have used whitening strips for years without seeing a noticeable difference, so it's hard to imagine swmming would change things, positively or negatively, in months.

The Fortress
April 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
There's bacteria in saliva. You don't want to put that in your eyes and risk infection.

ViveBene
April 1st, 2009, 08:21 PM
Why use spit when you could use Cat Crap {TM}?

http://www.buckmans.com/store/Cat-Crap-Goggle-Care-Kit-OSCARItem_294=6155.aspx

Keeps all goggles clear. They say.

KEWebb18
April 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
I spit in my goggles to clean them out. No eye infections yet. When I get one, I will stop.

My nose used to get runny sometimes during practice. In high school we had gutters that were pretty deep so we could just "snot rocket" into them.

ViveBene
April 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
I spit in my goggles to clean them out. No eye infections yet. When I get one, I will stop.

You betcha! (Tu betchus!) Eye is portal to the brain. Knew a guy that got an eye infection. In 48 hours he was blind, another 48 dead. Brain gone.

It wasn't his own bug; it was hospital-acquired.

Still.

KEWebb18
April 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM
You betcha! (Tu betchus!) Eye is portal to the brain. Knew a guy that got an eye infection. In 48 hours he was blind, another 48 dead. Brain gone.

It wasn't his own bug; it was hospital-acquired.

Still.

GROSS! I think I will stick to snot rockets.:)

jim thornton
April 1st, 2009, 11:03 PM
I find it hard to believe that bacteria in your mouth can cause eye infections. Let me quickly google this...

Okay! I found this tip:

Don't spit into eye cosmetics. The bacteria in your mouth may grow in the cosmetic and subsequent application to the eye may cause infection.

http://www.healthline.com/sw/wl-old-makeup-can-cause-serious-eye-infections

I still think you're safe, especially if you rinse the goggles briefly and just use a salivary film...

Let me check The Google one more time:

Plain old saliva is an effective defogger on a reasonably clean mask, but is not effective on a really greasy mask.

http://scuba.club.anu.edu.au/gear/tips/fogging.php

Finally:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Walter my understanding is that you won't get infections from your own spit.
Yeah, I would guess it would be a pretty remote chance of occurring but I suppose it could happen. Heck, I've actually put one of my contact lenses in my mouth to re-wet it once while out hiking when I got dirt in my eye. I then put it back in my eye and never got an infection. Maybe I had clean spit that day. LOL:out:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-4672.html

Chicken of the Sea
April 2nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
Confession.

I always hawk up a huge oyster into my goggles, then rinse them in the gutter.

I never pee in the pool (see my blog for a toilet break tally)

A friend once asked me to pass her a kickboard during practice. I threw it and it hit her in the head really hard. Sorry Bev.

I got really stroppy at the guys in the lane next to me during the mile-for-time because they finished before me even though I'd lapped a couple of them. I should have let it go..sigh

I flipped off a guy on a jetski recently while swimming in Lake Travis. The d-head was staring at me, smiling and buzzing by me deliberately.

Thrashing Slug
April 2nd, 2009, 12:31 AM
Jim your googley evidence is simply incontrovertible.

I too have used my own saliva as makeshift contact solution on more than one occasion, and so far my eyes and brain are still intact. Well my eyes at least.

Returning to the topic of swim secrets.. sometimes I throw in an extra burst of kicking to hide the other bubbles.

Rykno
April 2nd, 2009, 02:20 AM
I pee in the pool.

I thought that was a given. I blame my age group coaches. it's their fault for not allowing us out of the pool during practice.

But I talked about this with some other swimmers and I guess it's an art form not everyone is able to do this.

gobears
April 2nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
I find it hard to believe that bacteria in your mouth can cause eye infections. Let me quickly google this...

Walter my understanding is that you won't get infections from your own spit.
Yeah, I would guess it would be a pretty remote chance of occurring but I suppose it could happen. Heck, I've actually put one of my contact lenses in my mouth to re-wet it once while out hiking when I got dirt in my eye. I then put it back in my eye and never got an infection. Maybe I had clean spit that day. LOL:out:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-4672.html

One of my coaches used to wet her contacts in her mouth sometimes. Don't know that she ever got any eye infections...

Can't imagine (unless you're hocking a loogy -sp?- in your goggles) that you could get an eye infection from licking them. However, I can see that it might be gross to lick your goggles. Have to say I've done it, though.

Dacsus65
April 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Licking the goggles, I admit to. I was surprised to see that the gutters at the pool now have covers, until I remembered all the spit and snot that used to end up in them back when.

fatboy
April 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
I got really stroppy at the guys in the lane next to me during the mile-for-time because they finished before me even though I'd lapped a couple of them. I should have let it go..sigh

I feel your pain

LonghornbackinTX
April 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I lick my goggles. It does work.

Recently, I have had some congestion. Especially during flip turns, it is really bad, so I blow snot rocket in the pool all the time.

It happens.

orca1946
April 4th, 2009, 01:56 AM
What?! You let a cat crap in your goggles?!:eeew:

Dacsus65
April 6th, 2009, 12:33 PM
My eldest daughter swims with me as a Special Olympics volunteer and just started wearing goggles. When I told her the licking trick she told me that she'ld stick to foggy goggles. :D We'll see what she thinks when she starts lessons this spring.

geochuck
April 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM
To the horkers and peeers. It sure makes me happy that I don't swim in the same polluted water, most of you swim in.

TO ALL OF THE SNOT ROCKETEERS IT' S,NOT FUNNY.