PDA

View Full Version : Masters Participation Social Meet(s)

JMiller
April 2nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Masters swimming is a great sport. The most accomplished people from all walks of life come together and relate past experiences, and bond new friendships while sharing a passion for the pool, for life. Each year we grow older, but we continue to swim and do our best at keeping the joy alive, in the pool.

The concept of swim meets needs to be explored, as the positive aspects of a Masters Participation Social Meet is so much more fulfilling than previous understanding has portrayed. The friendships you make can last a lifetime, especially as we vow to meet again, year after year. In this rare gathering we have a very impressive group of dynamic people, and we are brought together by an unspoken understanding that what we are doing is truly good. In this environment, sustaining a youthful passion for swimming is a great goal that can be achieved, and an encouraging way to face aging with a smile.

There is still time to join upcoming Masters Social Participation Meet(s), and I recommend forwarding this to anyone that might be interested, and ask them to contemplate the positive implications of this endeavor.

orca1946
April 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
A lot of the reason of swimming is the mew friends we pick up & enjoy.

Jazz Hands
April 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
JMiller,

What the hell does that mean?

JMiller
April 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
JMiller,

What does that mean?

Brian,

The letter was in response to a request for me to write something to encourage more masters to participate in meets. That was my best attempt, and I figured I should share it with USMS, in case others want to use the same approach of encouragement.

Bobinator
April 6th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Oh, i thought you were having a special "participation" meet......Kinda like when they tried to make kids summer league swimming "non-competitive.
Yes, all Master's swim meets are about participation to me. I try to swim as fast as I can. I set goals (I feel happy/great when I meet them). I know I am never going to make my living swimming, be in the olympics, or become a mermaid.
I agree more people should participate in meets. We have tons of members who have never done a meet. I guess they are scared, or think they're not worthy. Let's kick them all in the a_ _ and get 'em movin'