PDA

View Full Version : Blueseventy - Deal or No Deal??

swoomer
April 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Color me confused. Today I received a special invitation from USMS to purchase a Blueseventy Nero Comp at discount (15%). Realizing that they are one of our sponsors, I'd love to purchase one of these go-fast suits at discount. However, recent news of testing and possible disqualification of the Nero stops me. While it was recently posted on another thread that a Blueseventy rep said that the suit is and would be legal, their website seems to indicate that they would be able to possibly make modifications in the future to make the suit legal to meet testing requirements. So I'm wondering if this would be a $340 gamble or just a purely bad investment. I'm not rich so this is a lot of moolah even at discount for a suit I might only be able to use once at Clovis (if I'm lucky.) Any thoughts?

thewookiee
April 3rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
The suit will be legal until at least Jan. 1, 2010. After that, the suit in its current form will probably be altered for the new rules. So, if you get on and use it a bunch between now and Jan. 1, 2010...you will be ok.

mpmartin
April 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
My concern as well.
I ended up buy a used Fastskin Pro today on Ebay (for 91 bucks), for fear that if I bought the Nero it would be my luck I wouldn't be able to wear it for more than a few races.

orca1946
April 4th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Maybe that's why it's on sale?

orca1946
April 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM
And in more places all the time.They will be sold out soon!

ande
April 12th, 2009, 12:30 PM
no B70 Nero Comp launched Oct 2007 so it had to be submitted for FINAs March 31st testing (http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=173875&postcount=1105)
so we wait for FINAs announcement.

here's text from my correspondence with a B70 employee.

we're waiting for "FINA approval or rejection of new swimwear introduced after September 30, 2007"
Should be any day.

When was the nero comp introduced?
October 2007

When was the point zero introduced?
September 2006

Ande

The suit will be legal until at least Jan. 1, 2010. After that, the suit in its current form will probably be altered for the new rules. So, if you get on and use it a bunch between now and Jan. 1, 2010...you will be ok.

orca1946
April 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I'm waiting to see if I should buy one on sale!

Allen Stark
April 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM
no B70 Nero Comp launched Oct 2007 so it had to be submitted for FINAs March 31st testing (http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=173875&postcount=1105)
so we wait for FINAs announcement.

here's text from my correspondence with a B70 employee.

we're waiting for "FINA approval or rejection of new swimwear introduced after September 30, 2007"
Should be any day.

When was the nero comp introduced?
October 2007

When was the point zero introduced?
September 2006

Ande
Does this mean the point zero won't need to be tested and is automatically approved ?

ande
April 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
believe so according to the USMS offical interpretation (http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=174864&postcount=1110)

Does this mean the point zero won't need to be tested and is automatically approved ?

mkacz
April 13th, 2009, 02:33 AM
FINA started out as a few European nations in the early 1900 and has turned out to be basically a global set of nations that are suppose to be governoring the whole body of international swimming. A few members dictating and regulating laws for the whole world-what power! My question is where was this organization 8 years ago when these suits were first coming out, I quest asleep at the wheel.
I started doing triathlons almost 25 years ago and when the first wet suits came out you knew like everything else in that sport things were going to change fast and that governoring body at the time knew and wanted things to change and develop. They basically said we know and want the industry to go forward and develop this sport to it's maximum with innovative ideas and new products. But they never came back and said you can't use that because it's too fast or safe.
But this is what FINA is saying now that all suits developed after 9/30/07 (where did they get this number from) is up for re-testing and they will get back to us at any time and tell us our suits are good or they can't be used.
And what kills me is that all these new world, national records have been set with these suits. Did anyone watch the 2008 Olympics or how about just lately the 2009 NCAA, Men's and Women's finals, everyone in the finals were wearing these suits.
Now we have our own governoring body (USMS) going to go blindly with these rulings and this is after the fact that BlueSeventy is one of our sponsors. Or how about our own governoring body sponsoring a national discounted price on these suits of just lately.
I just don't know about these regulations, I'm just a old Master Swimmer trying to have fun and trying to keep some speed going.
By the way can anyone tell me what a Newton really is (a unit of force, equal to the force that produces an acceleration of one meter per second per second on a mass of one kilogram), I just don't understand. This is one on the standards. Give me a break!
Here a general link to what FINA is talking about:

U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster
http://forums.usms.org/favicon.ico U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Allen Stark
April 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
believe so according to the USMS offical interpretation (http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=174864&postcount=1110)

If so I expect we will see a lot of point zeros at meets(or you could just put a pull cord on your Nero and say it is a point zero.)

Midas
April 13th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Sweet! That's what I have any way. You can tell the pointZeros by their zippers (which have a "hood" of fabric at the top).