PDA

View Full Version : WTF is that??

trinollinger
April 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
What is the grossest/most interesting/most unusual thing you have seen in the pool while practicing? For example, I counted six dead roaches floating in the gutter at the end of lane five today...

Rykno
April 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
not while practicing, but while cleaning the filters, I've found a bat, 2 snakes and several mouse/moles that had fallen into the pool at night and got sucked into the filter basket.

first time I saw a snake was the last time I opened the lids with my hands.

other than that, while practicing I have seen some pretty "out-of-shape" people in the lap lane next to me.....and I mean really out of shape.....almost not even human.

Bluewater34
April 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I had the good fortune to inhale a bandaid that was evidently floating in my lane... There it was, half in my mouth, half draped over my lower lip. Turns out, lip-replacement surgery is not that big a deal.

Blue

Glider
April 7th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hey Trin...Not to be too gross, but nothing worse than a "Baby Ruth" to clear the pool.:D

What is the grossest/most interesting/most unusual thing you have seen in the pool while practicing? For example, I counted six dead roaches floating in the gutter at the end of lane five today...

scyfreestyler
April 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've seen dead birds on the pool bottom on more than one occasion.

JimRude
April 7th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hey Trin...Not to be too gross, but nothing worse than a "Baby Ruth" to clear the pool.:D

Code Brown

Paul Smith
April 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
A middle aged, female masters swimmer (un-named) squatting on the edge of the pool...peeing in the gutter...before she jumped in to warm-up at a meet.

Sam Perry
April 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM
A few summers ago there were three dead ducks floating in my lane. Couldn't figure out how a duck drowns, still mind boggling to me.

Redbird Alum
April 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Once, while swimming a long set outdoors, I kept feeling something across my back about every two lengths near the middle of the pool. Eventually, I stopped to find out there was a mouse bobbbing about between the lane lines.

Being young and foolish, I attempted to scoop it out in a double cupped hand full of water, only to get bitten on the fat of my palm. In thrashing to get it off my hand, it flew to safety over two lanes and scampered off into the shrubs.

Unfortunately for me, the coach & guard sent me to hospital, where they advised shots. I declined.

scyfreestyler
April 7th, 2009, 11:47 AM
A middle aged, female masters swimmer (un-named) squatting on the edge of the pool...peeing in the gutter...before she jumped in to warm-up at a meet.

Wow. She's got no shame.

knelson
April 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Wow. She's got no shame.

Yeah, I think this one trumps spitting in your opponent's lane.

jim clemmons
April 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Speaking of "yuck", we'll get these things that appear as mini-jellys kinda bobbing along a foot or two under the surface. Some of 'em can be as big as your thumb! I try to push them into the adjacent lane. I keep my mouth closed for a few laps for fear of swallowing one of the little goobers.

scyfreestyler
April 7th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I am hoping that nobody from Walnut Creek Masters chimes in with something really nasty...meet there in 2 weeks.

jim clemmons
April 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I am hoping that nobody from Walnut Creek Masters chimes in with something really nasty...meet there in 2 weeks.

It's being held at TVM's pool in Pleasanton. I just saved you 40 miles of driving for nothing. :bump:

scyfreestyler
April 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Absent minded Tuesday morning. Not sure what I was thinking...or not thinking. :)

Midas
April 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Freshmen year college training trip in Barbados. The first day there one of the older (but clearly not wiser) guys on the team decides it would be a good idea to fall asleep on the beach for an hour. He got roasted. Major blisters everywhere. The next few days at practice, huge hunks of his blistered skin will fall off and be floating in the pool. Nasty in the extreme. I got one in my face and freaked out.

nkfrench
April 7th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Ewww....

At my backyard pool, I've had these:
* Dead rat large floater
* Alive and bad-tempered cottonmouth (poisonous) that tried to strike me

Outdoor practice pool, witnessed first thing in the morning:
* Dirty baby diaper floating in the pool

Indoor practice pool
* College coed who "did not realize" that her tight thin white T-shirt and undies would be revealing when wet during public lap swim. When offered a kickboard to screen herself, she got out of the pool at the far side & took the long walk to the lockerroom and held the kickboard so everything was still on display.

Indoor practice pool, not witnessed (thankfully):
* Age-group swimmer with diarrhea who pulled his swimsuit down and let it go in the vicinity of the pool gutter. The pool was closed for 24 hours afterwards.

Warren
April 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
When I was a lifegaurd one time I had to get in the pool and check out if the leaves in the pool were leaves or diarea...it was diarea.

Also when i used to life gaurd, one of the other guards peed into the pool while standing on the deck. I didn't see this happen though. But if you think about it, its the same thing as if you were in the pool and peed but it somehow seems grooser.

scyfreestyler
April 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM
When I was a lifegaurd one time I had to get in the pool and check out if the leaves in the pool were leaves or diarea...it was diarea.

Also when i used to life gaurd, one of the other guards peed into the pool while standing on the deck. I didn't see this happen though. But if you think about it, its the same thing as if you were in the pool and peed but it somehow seems grooser.
We all know it happens, but we don't need to see it happening.

Peter Cruise
April 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I am having trouble finding a problem with Nancy's college coed...

geochuck
April 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
A learn to swim student who ate a lot of spinach for dinner. His mother said he just loves spinach. He had a spinch evacuation into the pool. What a mess.

Mookie
April 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
For some reason, the pool I swim in usually has bandaids drifting around on the bottom. I always do a bandaid count in my lane and keep swimming, just to hold the anal retentiveness at bay. The best/worst day so far is thirteen. In my lane. :chug:

the17thman
April 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
At the SPMA SCM Regionals in December before one of my races a mouse was found swimming in my lane.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
April 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
At the SPMA SCM Regionals in December before one of my races a mouse was found swimming in my lane.

"Ejected from the meet for not having a current USMS card."

KEWebb18
April 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Some fond memories from age group days:
-Dead mouse/ceiling tile/asbestos insulation falling into lane during middle of kick set.
-Dead frogs in gutter of outdoor pool.
-A hair extension at bottom of pool that was thought to be a bracelet.
-Code brown on the waterslide.
I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried!

Its a slow show
April 7th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Caddy Shack!!!! Bill Murray is the Man!!!! "hum! its a 'baby ruth"!!!!

ALM
April 7th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Around here, in late August, the gutters are full of dead cicadas. The guards have to scoop them out each morning.

Allen Stark
April 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Not in the pool but under the stands.2 or 3 years ago at the SPMA SCM Dec. meet on Sat there was a pigeon running around.Not too bad but then on Sun there was a rat running around under the stands.

NorthBmo
April 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Fat people.

Slowswim
April 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Gee, as a new swimmer; I have so much to look forward to.:afraid:

3strokes
April 8th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Just wondering. Did she "go" through the fabric or did she push it aside?

And what was her hurry? She wasn't late for a heat and then felt the irresistible urge. It was a warm-up, for G*****'s sake!

USMSarah
April 8th, 2009, 11:59 PM
A recreational swimmer had left a sanitary pad sitting on the gutters. I was guarding that day, and I was the one who had to pick it up.

That was all kinds of wrong.

orca1946
April 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I like the rolling tumbleweeds of hair balls at the bottom?!!:D

Glider
April 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Or worse, that single long strand of hair that catches on your goggles and hangs over your mouth - that you just happened to catch pushing off on the last rep of a 200 pulling set with paddles...

Pfft...pffft...can't seem to blow it away...can't stop - last one, fast one...gross.

I like the rolling tumbleweeds of hair balls at the bottom?!!:D

spell_me
April 9th, 2009, 08:45 PM
When I was an age-grouper, I remember somebody had dropped a part of a chocolate doughnut in the baby pool (which was used as the "bullpen" for meets), and it really looked as much like poop as a Baby Ruth.

A few months ago I had just gotten into my local pool's lap swim, had not even completed my first lap, when the guards cleared the pool because someone vomited over in the shallow area (by the zero-depth entry). I have never had less sympathy for a sick person. I'm kind of ashamed of how irritated I was. But that pool has such limited hours, and so do I, and it was such a struggle just for me to get there, that all I could think about was my lost workout.

trinollinger
April 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Wow. And I thought the roaches were gross. Thanks for making me laugh (and gag). I hope no one is going to sit out of their next practice because of all this!

Dolphin 2
April 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
With all the swimmers wearing tech suits, there's probably a lot of excess debris from them floating around and clogging the filtration system.

Unlike the days of simple brief style suits, you can't keep the pool and filters clean by merely requiring everyone to take a thorough shower before they go in. When the maintenance workers clean the pool and backwash the filtration system, most of the yucky stuff being pulled out is the remains of all those expensive tech suits.

Ironically, backwashing the filters is now a practical example of people's money going down the drain. :badday:

Dolphin 2

cjquill
April 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM
The strangest thing I ever saw happened to be at my very first masters meet in 1983: a woman wearing a gas mask. She took it off to compete then put it back on for hanging out on the deck. Weird.

I have been fortunate not to witness anything as grotesque as some of the other posters here (knock wood).

scyfreestyler
April 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
With all the swimmers wearing tech suits, there's probably a lot of excess debris from them floating around and clogging the filtration system.

Unlike the days of simple brief style suits, you can't keep the pool and filters clean by merely requiring everyone to take thorough shower before they go in. When the maintenance workers clean the pool and backwash the filtration system, most of the yucky stuff being pulled out is the remains of all those expensive tech suits.

Ironically, backwashing the filters is now a practical example of people's money going down the drain. :badday:

Dolphin 2
You're smoking crack, aren't you?

csibona
April 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Or worse, that single long strand of hair that catches on your goggles and hangs over your mouth - that you just happened to catch pushing off on the last rep of a 200 pulling set with paddles...

Pfft...pffft...can't seem to blow it away...can't stop - last one, fast one...gross.

Yes, it drives me a little crazy when I get someone else's hair caught somewhere over my face when I swim. I always assume that it will just wash off after a couple of strokes but hair seems to glue itself on to my goggles.

orca1946
April 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Yuck in TX:bolt:

Bluewater34
April 12th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Yes, it drives me a little crazy when I get someone else's hair caught somewhere over my face when I swim. I always assume that it will just wash off after a couple of strokes but hair seems to glue itself on to my goggles.

Hey, what is it with that hair??? Super Glue has nothing on the sticking power of that long hair that grabs your goggles at one end and tickles your tongue with the other. The best part about it is when you can stand it no longer and actually break your stroke, your turn, whatever to remove it and claw at your face and lose the seal of your goggles, you think you got it off, and about stroke two of the next lap you realize that she's still hanging in there. It's not as bad as the bandaid I inhaled, but I could do without it.

Blue