PDA

View Full Version : Nationals deadline?

Karen Duggan
April 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM
A coach mentioned to our team that the nationals entries are only about 800 at this point. He also mentioned that this means they may extend the deadline.

This has happened in the past and I'm really annoyed by this. If the organizer of the event can't keep the original deadline, than why reject late entries?! IMHO there is plenty of lead time and advertising for Nationals. People KNOW when the deadline is. If they don't enter, for whatever reason, they don't enter.

I just wish they would close the entries when they say they will.

Waaaahhhhhhhhh. I'm done now.

scyfreestyler
April 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM
800? Really?

pwb
April 8th, 2009, 11:54 AM
A coach mentioned to our team that the nationals entries are only about 800 at this point. He also mentioned that this means they may extend the deadline.

This has happened in the past and I'm really annoyed by this. If the organizer of the event can't keep the original deadline, than why reject late entries?! IMHO there is plenty of lead time and advertising for Nationals. People KNOW when the deadline is. If they don't enter, for whatever reason, they don't enter.

I just wish they would close the entries when they say they will.

Waaaahhhhhhhhh. I'm done now.

Agreed. We're a month away, so I have to figure most people know whether they are going or not.

knelson
April 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I hear you, but on the other hand I think the meet host should be given every opportunity to make some money on the meet. The more entries the merrier (within reason!). I guess one question would be: if the entry deadline can be extended, why wasn't it set later in the first place? I have a feeling the only reason the deadline is so far in advance right now is because there are some people who still submit paper entries and those take a long time to process.

I wouldn't read too much into the 800 entries number. I know Jim Matysek has mentioned in the past that LOTS of entries typically come in the final day or two.

matysekj
April 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Don't believe everything you hear.

We do not give out entry numbers before they are finalized. We also have a long history of 50% or more of the entries being received in the final week of the entry period and 10-30% coming in on the last day.

SLOmmafan
April 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
The only person really hurt by extending the deadline would be the meet organizers - as was mentioned. If they want to give things and extra week, more power to them.

Also, I am not familiar with the costs associated with putting on a meet like this, but with 800+ people paying $40/person and $4/event - there is a lot of money being taken in for this event. I am certain any extra sign ups they can get = a lot more money for USMS and the host team.

Karen Duggan
April 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I must confess that I have not entered yet, but I know when the deadline is!

I'm trying to put it off as long as I can so I can get an idea of times to enter. Being sick for 3 weeks has really thrown me off as to what I may be able to do in another month!

I would definitely benefit from a later deadline :D

BillS
April 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm signing up today, so that makes 802 . . .

jim clemmons
April 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Me too, 803...

Kurt Dickson
April 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I can see both sides: It certainly helps organizers to prepare with an early deadline. A later deadline helps some of us shift workers. I have entered me and my daughter, gotten plane tickets, hotel (yes, separate beds), and a car and am still not sure whether I'm going to be off of work until the end of April.:blah:

osterber
April 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM
For our New England meet, we have two deadlines -- the regular deadline, and the absolute late deadline. We accept everyone who enters by the regular deadline. After that, a late entry fee surcharge applies, and we only accept entries if there is still room in the meet.

-Rick