PDA

View Full Version : Univ of Cincinnati will phase out Aid for Men's Swimming

cjr
April 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
As a former Student Athlete and Alumni of the University it saddens me to break this news, however not surprising given the state of Non-revenue/Olympic sports at our universities.

April 7, 2009
CINCINNATI ó The University of Cincinnati Department of Athletics will phase out financial aid from its menís swimming and diving and menís track & field/cross country teams beginning in the fall of 2009, Director of Athletics Mike Thomas announced today.
The change in funding will take place over the next four years, until all existing financial aid commitments are fulfilled to current UC student-athletes participating in these sports. All commitments to prospective student-athletes who have signed National Letters of Intent will also be honored.
As a result of these proactive moves, UC Athletics will save more than $400,000 annually once all aid is transitioned. The savings will assist the department to move towards a balanced budget.
"As the Director of Athletics it is my responsibility to the University to maintain a competitive program while being both fiscally responsible and proactive in strategizing for the long term success of Bearcats Athletics" said Thomas.
"This was a very difficult decision, but one we felt we had to make in this difficult economic climate. While scholarship funding will be eliminated for these sports, the teams themselves, and their complement of coaches will remain".

orca1946
April 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
How about a few less football free rides?!

poolraat
April 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
How about a few less football free rides?!

You're kidding, of course.

SLOmmafan
April 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Not good in general, but at least they are keeping the program in place. Plenty of athletes go compete at the college level simply because they love the sport - not because they plan to get a free ride or make big $$.

aztimm
April 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
The college I went to didn't give any athletic scholarships, yet had--and still has--both men's and women's swim teams, as well as the usual (football, basketball, baseball) and even some more unusual teams. What they didn't have as teams, they had available as clubs--like water polo.

SwimTotoSwim
April 10th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Here is an opportunity for form a Masters Club of Univ C.

USMS can serve this population with a forum to continue competing, as well as those interested in life-long fitness.

Anyone know if there a masters contact in the area ?

Anthony Thompson

jordangregory
April 10th, 2009, 05:31 PM
It is truly sad to see all these programs get knocked out. I was at Fresno State when it happened to men's swimming. I was not on the swim team there, but I did play club water polo (and paid about $500 to do so). Athletics at the collegiate level are now about business as opposed to opportunities to develop a balanced individual. The mind and now put ahead of the body and spirit. Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle are one of our nations biggest health concerns. Charging individuals to play sports at the collegiate level is a sure fire way to have fewer participants.
I would love to see schools have a more balanced curriculum, which now would include a huge increase in sports programs so that all individuals can and participate. It doesn’t need to be at the varsity level either. $400,000 that was saved by axing a few varsity sports in Cincinnati could pay for 40 clubs sports. $10,000 grand a club sport a year is more than enough to pay for coaching, equipment, facility time (if the college does not have it). Players can pay a small amount for their own travel. And if more schools have club sports, the travel is not bad. And while we are at it, I would love to see an expansion of curriculum in philosophy, theology, etc.

SwimRobin
April 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Here is an opportunity for form a Masters Club of Univ C.

USMS can serve this population with a forum to continue competing, as well as those interested in life-long fitness.

Anyone know if there a masters contact in the area ?

Anthony Thompson

There is already a Masters team in place at the University of Cincinnati. UCM participated at the Wildcat Masters Invitational in March in Lexington.