PDA

View Full Version : Favorite old thread/discussion?

swimfree
April 11th, 2009, 12:33 AM
What is your favorite past thread? For me there have been many, but a few stand up in my mind as creating a lot of discussion, disagreement, name calling, etc... I miss the excitment of reading the discussion about VO2 max, late bloomers, Dara Torres... We've become very civilized and PC.

That Guy
April 11th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Periodically I revive the Swimming Stereotypes thread. I see people at the gym and they just flow right into the thread. "Hey, all right, Calisthenics Guy is here today!" or "Wow, Bob Noodleman has clearly put on weight. Perhaps his noodling regimen is not keeping up with his donut consumption..." Also there's this guy at the gym that I haven't even figured out how to describe yet... :afraid:

3strokes
April 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Periodically I revive the Swimming Stereotypes thread. I see people at the gym and they just flow right into the thread. "Hey, all right, Calisthenics Guy is here today!" or "Wow, Bob Noodleman has clearly put on weight. Perhaps his noodling regimen is not keeping up with his donut consumption..." Also there's this guy at the gym that I haven't even figured out how to describe yet... :afraid:

You mean the one who works on machines using (for ex.) 100lbs and looks around to see who is looking at him? And when he's finished, he moves the weight lock-pin to 150 lbs? And then hangs around to see the look of wonder on the face of the machine's next user....................

orca1946
April 11th, 2009, 06:34 PM
People who grunt loudly to see who is listening to them ?!!

That Guy
April 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
You mean the one who works on machines using (for ex.) 100lbs and looks around to see who is looking at him? And when he's finished, he moves the weight lock-pin to 150 lbs? And then hangs around to see the look of wonder on the face of the machine's next user....................

Heh heh... I haven't posted any weight room stereotypes, though that would be a fun thread in NSR Land. I've stuck to people in the pool area. The guy I was talking about doesn't seem to actually use the pool, but he always wears swim trunks, with an old v-neck undershirt tucked into them. He wears black socks with his white tennis shoes. He isn't really a stereotype, he's Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Bluewater34
April 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Heh heh... I haven't posted any weight room stereotypes, though that would be a fun thread in NSR Land. I've stuck to people in the pool area. The guy I was talking about doesn't seem to actually use the pool, but he always wears swim trunks, with an old v-neck undershirt tucked into them. He wears black socks with his white tennis shoes. He isn't really a stereotype, he's Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Oh man, I love that guy. We've got a few variations of him in Birmingham. I have one guy that shows up some nights when I swim in the evenings, he's perfect: He shows up at 8:20 or so (pool closes at 8:45) wearing his fat-skins, tricked out goggles, lugging a Speedo backpack that is loaded with "accessories", like short fins, mask and snorkel, the hand fins, water-proof ipod, a Sham-Wow towel, and my favorite - the TEAM USA swim cap. Now, I have no problem with any of these accessories alone, but he's got them all and the only one he ever uses is the mask and snorkel. Dude is wearing a $400 swim suit and only uses the mask and snorkel. He swims 50's on about 3 minutes, with 1.5 mins rest. He adjusts the snorkel and mask after every 25, pausing for a minute at the side with a look of: "man, if this mask would stay on right, I'd be swimming faster and more than all you schlubs...." The guy swims to stay afloat, not to go forward. It's really awful. He looks like a blender mixing a margarita.

But the one that really kills me is this woman that swims/water jogs in the far lane. She wears Bose head phones, talks on her cell while she water jogs, and gets unbelievably mad if you dare to swim in the lane next to her, even if there's only that lane left open. If you happen to be next to her when a lane opens up, she'll stop you and ask you to move to the newly open lane. I finally had to tell her that this was the one form of exercise where a person is nearly guaranteed to get wet. She was unimpressed with my observation.

Blue