PDA

View Full Version : Would this help with finger pain?

Andelin
April 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I have a diagnosis of early onset of arthritis and I now wind up with crampy fingers after a bit. I mostly do breaststroke. I wonder if using some paddles would help, such as http://www.kiefer.com/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={ee005188-1ca3-462e-b8dc-cc29e311bfd0}&pname=Speedo+Biofuse+Finger+Paddle&Referer=QUICK_SEARCH&Alias=speedo%20biofuse&ptct=BS-SR&CTitle=&

Any other recommendations?
Thanks ahead for any posts.

2fish&1whale
April 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I have a diagnosis of early onset of arthritis and I now wind up with crampy fingers after a bit. I mostly do breaststroke. I wonder if using some paddles would help, such as http://www.kiefer.com/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={ee005188-1ca3-462e-b8dc-cc29e311bfd0}&pname=Speedo+Biofuse+Finger+Paddle&Referer=QUICK_SEARCH&Alias=speedo%20biofuse&ptct=BS-SR&CTitle=&

Any other recommendations?
Thanks ahead for any posts.

Have you tried swimming with your hands in fists?
It is a good way to work on your stroke and less stress on your fingers.
Takes a bit of getting used to, but if you alternate it with open hand strokes you might have less cramping.
Also, are you clamping your fingers together tightly or do you allow them to stay a bit relaxed and let some water through?

Andelin
April 13th, 2009, 02:43 PM
The fist idea sounds good. Otherwise I've tried both ways, water through and tight fingers and the 2nd one helps so I wound up taping my fingers together but it doesn't work that great either.
That's why I was considering an aid. It seems that you're not in favor of those? Any reason?

swoomer
April 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
My hands seem to ache more when I use paddles.

2fish&1whale
April 13th, 2009, 09:07 PM
The fist idea sounds good. Otherwise I've tried both ways, water through and tight fingers and the 2nd one helps so I wound up taping my fingers together but it doesn't work that great either.
That's why I was considering an aid. It seems that you're not in favor of those? Any reason?
I swim a lot of breast stroke and have tried using the small finger size paddles, but i find them more of an annoyance then help.But they may help you keep your fingers more relaxed and since they don't cost a lot i would give them a try.

Andelin
April 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM
That's true so I'll do just that.
Thanks again.

orca1946
April 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Asprin -celebrex or other light anti arth meds will help somewhat.