PDA

View Full Version : Heat Sheets and Estimated Time Line for SC Nationals 09

matysekj
April 21st, 2009, 01:15 PM
The heat sheets (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats09/heats/) for all pre-seeded events and an estimated time line (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats09/timeline.pdf) are available for the 2009 SC Nationals. The time line is only an estimate. The meet may run faster or slower than the estimated time line. It is the swimmer's responsibility to be behind the starting block for their heat and lane before the heat is called to the blocks.

One other seeding decision has been made recently - the men's and women's 500 Free events will be seeded by age group, with men and women seeded separately. As previously announced, the 1000 and 1650 events will be seeded with men and women swimming together, seeded by time only.

GordonD
April 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Jim: I noticed that 2 pools instead of 3 will be used for the distance events. I'm wondering why not to use 3 pools for the 500 free events on Sat and Sun since they run about 1h 40m each. Even just on Sunday for the men's 500 free would help drive an earlier finish time for the day so people can get home, especially those catching flights out of Fresno or driving 3+ hours.

Just curious. Looking forward to the meet.

matysekj
April 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Here's my understanding of the situation. Things like the number of pools to use and the seeding methods are decisions of the championship committee together with the meet host, so this is just my understanding of the thought processes.

The goal is to have a meet whose daily sessions are 10 hours or less. This meet has met that criteria using 2 pools, so there is no compelling reason to use 3. In order to use 3 pools, you need to increase your volunteer crew drastically. You need additional timers, officials, computer operators, etc. for each course you run. Adding a third course is an expensive proposition in terms of the number of people it takes to run that course, and is therefore something that is done only if absolutely necessary.

pwb
April 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
One other seeding decision has been made recently - the men's and women's 500 Free events will be seeded by age group, with men and women seeded separately. As previously announced, the 1000 and 1650 events will be seeded with men and women swimming together, seeded by time only.

Any chance you'll see the 400 IM by age group like the 500? Count one request for that.:)

matysekj
April 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Any chance you'll see the 400 IM by age group like the 500? Count one request for that.:)

Not possible. The published meet info said that the 400 IM will be seeded slowest to fastest, regardless of age. We can't change the way it will be seeded vs. the published meet info.

barryf
April 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM
One additional reason for using two course rather than three is that three courses cuts the number of warm-up lanes in half.

pwolf66
April 21st, 2009, 10:15 PM
One additional reason for using two course rather than three is that three courses cuts the number of warm-up lanes in half.

Barry,

I'm a sprinter.

"Warm up? We doan need no stinkin warmup"

Fresnoid
April 22nd, 2009, 12:36 AM
Barry,

I'm a sprinter.

"Warm up? We doan need no stinkin warmup"

The warmup I have to do is probably a week's worth of yardage for you:frustrated:

Speedo
April 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hey Fresnoid, can you make sure the temps come down by the time we get there. Thanks.

Fresnoid
April 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hey Fresnoid, can you make sure the temps come down by the time we get there. Thanks.

I'm on it. It'll start going down tomorrow. I have to be in Palo Alto so I'll bring some Bay Area temps back with me.

swimbreast
April 23rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Jim,

Do you know if the warm up pool with have a lane or 2 for sprinting from a dive?
Considering that some of us will not race until 2pm, it would be nice to have a couple of lanes for starts when we warm up.
Kelly

matysekj
April 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Do you know if the warm up pool with have a lane or 2 for sprinting from a dive?

I doubt it. That's never been done before to my knowledge, and squeezing over 1500 swimmers into 16 lanes for continuous warm up is still a magic trick even without giving up a lane or two for starts/sprints. Yeah, I know - all 1500 people aren't warming up there at the same time, but it can still be very crowded in the warm up pool even with that many lanes available.

Karen Duggan
April 24th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Is the weather in Fresno as crazy as the Bay Area lately? Three days we were in the high 90s, the past two days the upper 50s. What gives?
I am coming with: sunscreen, glasses, shorts, sweats, and a parka! I'm glad I can drive this time so I can leave stuff in the car.

If anybody wants a chair, but doesn't want to lug one on an airplane, I'd be happy to let you borrow some of mine. Just PM me.