PDA

View Full Version : which snorkle?

rtodd
April 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM
I would like to get a snorkle to help correct my freestyle hand and catch on my breathing side.

Finis makes two kinds, a standard and a freestyle.

Is one better over the other? Are they both good for freestyle? Why would you use a snorkle other than freestyle? I'm confused as to which to get.

???

pwolf66
April 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
I have and use the Finis Swimmer model. I like it because it can be reversed to aid in proper backstroke head position. Looking at the Freestyle model, it appears that it would be easier to clear but since I have never used that model, I can't say for sure.

Warren
April 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM
This is the one you want http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1221.htm . This is the same one paul is talking about I think. I have this same one and it works well.

smontanaro
April 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
I've tried that a couple times. They seem to gouge my forehead. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

Allen Stark
April 21st, 2009, 11:57 PM
I have both and much prefer the regular.The freestyle is slightly easier to flip with,but if you don't keep your head very steady it goes from snorkel to straw which is not good and it is very difficult to do fly with.

thewookiee
April 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
I've tried that a couple times. They seem to gouge my forehead. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

Chances are that you had it too tight.

SwimStud
April 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
I use the freestyle one, but yes it's only designed for Crawl. Like Allen said you have to learn to keep you head in the right position or you'll find it filling.
That is the purpose of why I use it though, to get the head position right--if you look too far down or too far forward you get chlorinated ;)

I think some sports tape around the section where the head band fits is a good idea to prevent the snork twisting on flip turns is a good idea for either model.

djacks
April 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
I have both and prefer the freestyle model. It is much more comfortable for me to wear as well as better at the turns. However, I don't use it when the pool is crowded/wavy as it is too easy to get "swamped."

rtodd
April 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Sounds like maybe the non-freestyle will work. Are there breastroke drills that can be done with the snorkle? If so, I guess it would be the non-freestyle to use.

djacks
April 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
I mentioned I prefer the freestyle model when swimming freestyle. The other "regular" model is my choice for drills and kicking.

Allen Stark
April 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Sounds like maybe the non-freestyle will work. Are there breastroke drills that can be done with the snorkle? If so, I guess it would be the non-freestyle to use.

I do some warmup BR with the snorkel.You can go really slow and focus on each movement.Also,turn the mouthpiece around and put the snorkel on upside down and backwards and it is a great way to keep your head down in BR(I prefer this to the tennisball drill as it is easier to keep a head neutral position.)

rtodd
April 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks Allen,

I think I'll go with the "regular" one.

rtodd
May 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Got the regular one. The thing is great and seems to be fixing my breathing side entry and catch, which is why I got it. When I use it I seem to be able to concentrate on better kicking and overall rythm. It was a good investment.

Still figuring out how to turn. Right now I do slow open turns.