PDA

View Full Version : Mike Chasson steps down at ASU

Paul Smith
April 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
"Dawn Rogers, Senior Associate Athletic Director at Arizona State University, announced today the resignation of menís and womenís swimming head coach Michael Chasson. A national search for his replacement will begin immediately. For the time being, fourth year assistant coach Simon Percy will serve as the interim head coach."

http://collegeswimming.com/news/2009/apr/27/chasson-steps-down-arizona-state/

Michael Heather
April 27th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Interesting timing. Is his club team THAT special that it needs his total concentration? I smell a slightly different story. Since the university did not "regretfully" accept his resignation, that speaks volumes.

pwb
April 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM
On the one hand, with a beautiful facility and attractive location, this should be a school from which a powerful swimming program can be built. On the other hand, given ASU's fiscal state, relatively low academic standing and lack of support for a men's program, I wonder if they'll attract the kind of entrepreneurial candidates this head coaching position needs.

Fresnoid
April 27th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I've been out of the sport for a couple of decades. Was Mike Chasson at Los Altos Aquatic Club in the late 70's?

aquageek
April 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
... late 70's?

Now you are talking Paul's language!

Fresnoid
April 28th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Now you are talking Paul's language!

Hmmmm, looks like Paul is a sprinter. Definitely a foreign language for me.

Paul Smith
April 28th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I've been out of the sport for a couple of decades. Was Mike Chasson at Los Altos Aquatic Club in the late 70's?

One and the same. I swam for him when he left Los Altos to coach Santa Barbara Swim Club. From there he did a stint as assistant coach for the Stanford women's team, then on to Harvard...then to ASU.

Definitely not a "sprinter"...although I do on occasion swim the 50.

pwb
May 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
From Simon Percy note today on ASU swimming:

The search is on for a new ASU Menís and Womenís head coach, and the Athletic Department has already reached out to the SDSA Board for assistance in the effort. Weíve met several times with Assistant Athletic Director, Dawn Rogers, and she has enlisted support from former ASU Coach Ron Johnson along with other alumni. Several great prospects have already expressed interest in the position and the selection process should be completed fairly quickly. If you have any input on a future coach, please contact Dawn Rogers at 480-965-2146 or via email at Dawn.Rogers@asu.edu (Dawn.Rogers@asu.edu).

Any great coaches looking for a great facility and a re-building experience?

knelson
May 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Any great coaches looking for a great facility and a re-building experience?

I'd be a little surprised if Whitney Hite isn't interested in this position. Based on what he did at the University of Washington I'd think he'd be a strong candidate.

Michael Heather
May 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
ASU Swimming is still not out of the woods, lacking the 7 million for an endowment that is necessary to fund the program in perpetuity. I think they still have a couple of years to get it together, but finding a coach that wants to take over that kind of burden, along with scouting and recruiting prospects, will be tough.

Paul Smith
May 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM
ASU Swimming is still not out of the woods, lacking the 7 million for an endowment that is necessary to fund the program in perpetuity. I think they still have a couple of years to get it together, but finding a coach that wants to take over that kind of burden, along with scouting and recruiting prospects, will be tough.

That's why my money is on Simon Percy getting the job (former assistant coach and current interim head coach).

Michael Heather
May 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know him other than by emails I received, I hope he can flourish in the environment. Seems to have a lot of energy, at least.

pwb
May 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
In an email from Simon Percy today to the Save ASU Swimming supporters, he noted that UT alum Dorsey Tierney is apparently coming in to head Men's & Women's program (cue Tall Paul Longhorn bashing) via Auburn.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/c-swim/mtt/tierneywalker_dorsey00.html

Paul Smith
May 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM
In an email from Simon Percy today to the Save ASU Swimming supporters, he noted that UT alum Dorsey Tierney is apparently coming in to head Men's & Women's program (cue Tall Paul Longhorn bashing) via Auburn.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/c-swim/mtt/tierneywalker_dorsey00.html

Bold move. She's never coached men's...and I know of no other Division one men's sport that has had a female head coach.

And as much as I love to bash both Texas and Auburn I want her to succeed because I want ASU to succeed.

Jason Marsteller
May 18th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Bold move. She's never coached men's...and I know of no other Division one men's sport that has had a female head coach.

And as much as I love to bash both Texas and Auburn I want her to succeed because I want ASU to succeed.

Georgia Tech promoted Hart as the head coach for men's and women's. Still a big deal for both women.

JimRude
May 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM

... and cue the cutting of the men's team...:censor:

Mr. Negative
May 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
One questions whether her hiring was simply an EOE move by ASU's AD?

Knightswimmer2
May 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Old Dominion's mens swim team has a female coach, as well as UW-Milwaukee!

Paul Smith
May 19th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Old Dominion's mens swim team has a female coach, as well as UW-Milwaukee!

I stand corrected!

Mr. Negative
May 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Takes a unique personality and approach to coach both men and women. Randy Reese was successful at Florida for many years...... other coaches..... not so successful at both.

She has not coached a Mens Division I team before.

The results will be interesting.

Paul Smith
May 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
One questions whether her hiring was simply an EOE move by ASU's AD?

Lisa love didn't hire this gal away from one of the all time top women's programs in the country to have her "fail". Either she kicks butt and pulls in the mens recruits and endowment money or the mens program goes away and she stays and just coaches the womens team...something ASU wanted to begin with (just a womens team).

JimRude
May 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Lisa love didn't hire this gal away from one of the all time top women's programs in the country to have her "fail". Either she kicks butt and pulls in the mens recruits and endowment money or the mens program goes away and she stays and just coaches the womens team...something ASU wanted to begin with (just a womens team).

See my earlier post - cue the cutting of the men's team...

cyclist
May 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Takes a unique personality and approach to coach both men and women. Randy Reese was successful at Florida for many years...... other coaches..... not so successful at both.

Yes, Busch only won both championships in the same year.