PDA

View Full Version : Fastskin Question

SLOmmafan
April 28th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I have a generation 1 fastskin that I purchased in 2001. I believe I swam 2 major meets in the suit - my high school championships in 01 and 02.

The suit has been in a drawer at my parents house ever sense. They live near Clovis, so I was going to pick it up before Nationals and use it for the weekend. Does anybody here have experience on how long these suits last? If it hasn't been used often but has sat for about 6 years (in a semi protected environment) is there any reason to believe it would be no good any more? Or is the best test just jumping in the water and giving it a good test.

By the way, size should be good to go as I a roughly unchanged in weight and height.

ande
April 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
your suit sat in a drawer from 2002 to 2009, you asked
"is there any reason to believe it would be no good any more?"
The elastic in the suit is probably ruined, unless the suit's been in a sealed ziplock bag, your chances are IFFY.

I bet, the elastic & rubber in the suit is messed up.
when you get the suit, stretch it, if it sounds crunchy & does not spring back, it's done.

What if I posted?
I put a rubber band in a drawer 6 years ago,
Do you think it's still good?

Good Luck, hope it works.

Ande

I have a generation 1 fastskin that I purchased in 2001. I believe I swam 2 major meets in the suit - my high school championships in 01 and 02.

The suit has been in a drawer at my parents house ever sense. They live near Clovis, so I was going to pick it up before Nationals and use it for the weekend. Does anybody here have experience on how long these suits last? If it hasn't been used often but has sat for about 6 years (in a semi protected environment) is there any reason to believe it would be no good any more? Or is the best test just jumping in the water and giving it a good test.

By the way, size should be good to go as I a roughly unchanged in weight and height.