PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Swine Flu Cancelling Meets

ande
April 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Longhorn Aquatics (http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/index.php) Long Course Kick Off (http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/meets/documents/2009_Long_Course_Kick_Off_000.pdf)was scheduled for May 1 - 3, 2009

this email just arrived:

Long Course Kick Off Cancelled
Importance: High

Dear TXLA Swimmers and Parents,

The Long Course Kick Off meet, scheduled for this weekend has been cancelled due to the increasing incidence of the N1H1 Virus and its apparently elevated prevalence, especially in the San Antonio area where many of our swimmers are coming from. We are working on rescheduling sometime in June. We will let you know as plans firm up.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

USMS SCY Nats is coming up here's the comment from

From Dowain Wright, Meet Director and physician. :

At this time, there is no indication that the USMS National Short Course Championships will be adversely affected by the Swine Flu outbreak. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and keep everyone informed. It appears that all transmission of the virus in the US is the result of close and prolonged contact with an infected individual. Community wide spread by casual contact has not occurred. However, we request that any swimmer having a upper respiratory illness stay at home.

Sincerely,
Dowain Wright, MD, PhD
Meet Director, UMSM SC Nationals

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

a friend of mine asked
If Dowain is up to date on California's Governator's proclamations (http://gov.ca.gov/proclamation/12148/)?

At some point soon USMS Nationals Officials & USMS need to make an official call.

What should they do?

Are folks over reacting?

michaelmoore
April 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Which part of the proclamation do you think is applicable? I did not read anything in the "ordered" part that would apply. But this is a fluid situation.

-michael

ande
April 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Not sure, I just felt it's a serious issue that would trigger a lively discussion,

I hope Nats are NOT cancelled. I want to go and swim.

Which part of the proclamation do you think is applicable? I did not read anything in the "ordered" part that would apply. But this is a fluid situation.
- michael

K-Stew
April 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
This is an over reaction. There are 10 of thousands of people attending NBA playoff games every night, that would seem like a bigger risk than a swim meet with maybe 2500 people including spectators....Just my :2cents:

pwolf66
April 30th, 2009, 04:36 PM
This has me extremely concerned on two fronts. One - the potential infection vector and two - premature and/or unnecessary action to cancel the meet.

Then again, the week following Nats I'm travelling to LA for a technical conference with 5000 other people from across the country. Nothing like an event like that to create possibilities for virus transmittal.

Speedo
April 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
What an appropriate year to have an outdoor venue.

That Guy
April 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
this is a fluid situation.

i see what you did there.

knelson
April 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM
At some point soon USMS Nationals Officials & USMS need to make an official call.

I think it would be premature for USMS to act at this point. The biggest danger to the meet right now is the facility being shut down due to the flu. If the high school is shut down for a week would the pool follow suit?

jim clemmons
April 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Then again, the week following Nats I'm travelling to LA for a technical conference with 5000 other people from across the country. Nothing like an event like that to create possibilities for virus transmittal.

A Tom Clancy-like scenario...

michaelmoore
April 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
USMS SCY Nats is coming up here's the comment from

From Dowain Wright, Meet Director and physician. :

At this time, there is no indication that the USMS National Short Course Championships will be adversely affected by the Swine Flu outbreak. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and keep everyone informed. It appears that all transmission of the virus in the US is the result of close and prolonged contact with an infected individual. Community wide spread by casual contact has not occurred. However, we request that any swimmer having a upper respiratory illness stay at home.

Sincerely,
Dowain Wright, MD, PhD
Meet Director, UMSM SC Nationals
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Please read the first sentence of Dowain's statement. The organizing committee is planning on having the meet and the are working hard to be sure that it is very successful. The weather should be in the high 70's to mid 80's in an outdoor pool setting.

San Francisco City College on the advice of San Francisco DPH has said the following:

An updated clinician Health Alert was issued yesterday evening.
See: http://sfcdcp.org/healthalerts.html
We are continuing to treat swine flu as seasonal influenza.
We are monitoring the situation closely and will change recommendations as needed.
At this time, we are not recommending cancellation of events.

At this time, we are not recommending that anyone outside a health care setting wear masks.

At this time, we are not recommending that travelers returning from MX or others area with swine flu be quarantined or excluded from work or events.

As always, anyone with symptoms of the flu should stay home until their symptoms have resolved. . . .

-michael
Also the Championship Committee meet liaison

dwlovell
April 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Definitely feels like an over-reaction. So far, more people are dying from regular seasonal flu than from swine flu. Additionally the WHO has found the swine flue strain to be more mild than the current seasonal flus in the wild. The only death in the U.S. was a mexican toddler who came over the border. The only deaths in Mexico were from individuals who don't experience the health system we have in the U.S.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/faq/en/index.html
http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_30_a/en/index.html

There is no indication yet that the current strain presents a risk to young healthy people as the 1918 strain (see cytokine storm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm

Anyways, I hope the media can find something new to talk about so they can stop over-hyping this.

Peter Cruise
April 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
There is no hurricane at present for CNN's Anderson Cooper to be pummelled by, so they're settling for the insidious creatures that cannot be seen with the naked eye to scare the bejeebers out of us.

meldyck
April 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
There is no hurricane at present for CNN's Anderson Cooper to be pummelled by, so they're settling for the insidious creatures that cannot be seen with the naked eye to scare the bejeebers out of us.

Peter,

I had those scared out of me years ago & don't have any left.

Peter Cruise
April 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Yes Mel, another side effect of marriage...

mctrusty
April 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
A Tom Clancy-like scenario...

Or Michael Crichton. Too bad he's no longer of this earth, I'm sure he'd salivate at the chance of opening a Swine Flu virus novel at USMS Nationals.

ddl
May 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
The worst thing would be the swine flu has spread to much that the pools have to close and we can't swim for weeks or months!:shakeshead:

chowmi
May 1st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Yes, and add to that if my girls' school gets closed uugghhh! The double whammy! My husband is hoping the worst is over - he informed me that on the late evening news, they were showing the public how to wash their hands.

geochuck
May 1st, 2009, 10:11 AM
We have had very bad scares in the past. We had the scare in 1950's Polio. We never wore goggles and the swim pools had the chlorine so high your eyes burned for weeks. Several swimmers I knew came down with it. George Bevan was one of them. He later became a world champion marathon swimmer. The clorine readings in the pool 3ppm it was like swimming in bleach. The pool dressing rooms were cleaned with almost straight bleach. If your cloths got the least bit damp by touching anything they had bleach streaks on them.

At its peak in the 1940s and 1950s, polio would paralyze or kill over half a million people worldwide every year

knelson
May 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
I'm sure he'd salivate at the chance of opening a Swine Flu virus novel at USMS Nationals.

..but it's all fine until the velociraptors start showing up in Jaked suits.

geochuck
May 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
I just crossed the border. I went to Point Roberts Washington, no problem entering the USA. I went to the Post Office to mail out some parcels. I came back thru the Canadian border crossing 30 minutes later. They asked me if I had been to Texas, California or Mexico recently. I said yes to all three, about 2 months ago. They asked me if I had a cold or any sickness. I said no, they let me cross the border and back into Canada.

Karen Duggan
May 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM
..but it's all fine until the velociraptors start showing up in Jaked suits.

:lmao:

orca1946
May 1st, 2009, 06:11 PM
We just returned from Cancun!! What a scam!! It's just the flu, not drunk drivers!!

RobbieD
May 1st, 2009, 10:40 PM
USMS does not fear the aporkalypse... they sent out an email today basically saying the only way the meet wouldn't happen is if the feds ordered it not to happen which is pretty unlikely.

Dear U.S. Masters Swimming membership,

In response to concerns regarding the swine flu, I would like to confirm to you that we are in full operation mode to host the 2009 U.S. Masters Swimming Short Course National Championship next weekend. We are monitoring federal and state authorities guidelines, warnings and protocol. In the event the authorities mandate or strongly recommend the cancellation of outdoor sporting events, we will follow suit and cancel the championship event. If authorities do not mandate the cancellation of outdoor sporting events, we will host the championship event as planned.

Should the event be canceled because of federal or state mandate, we will advise accordingly.

Thank you, and see you next week,

Rob Butcher
Executive Director

laineybug
May 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
If I am remembering correctly the 1918 pandemic was just the beginning. The flu that occurred during that year was mild, just as this one appears to be. But, during it the time it spread it mutated and produced the deadly strain with most of its victums dying in 1919... maybe I have the two years wrong... it began in 1917 and the deadly strain appeared in 1918. The point is, it was mild to begin with and mutated to become deadly.

That is what the hoopla is about. If we can some how limit the spread at this point in time we might be able to prevent it from mutating into a deadly strain.

Lainey

jim thornton
May 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
My understanding is that it was relatively mild because it emerged in the Northern Hemisphere at a time flu generally winds down. It then spread through the Southern Hemisphere, and came back the next "flu season" for us--generally the winter months--and really went to town, killing 50 million people worldwide.

Researchers think that there is a reservoir of ever mutating flu viruses in the tropics, most likely southeast Asia.

Anyhow, it is pretty spooky, I must say. Especially given how it gets healthy young adults the worst. Cemeteries from that era are pretty grim, with an awful lot of youngsters and 20 somethings represented disproportionately on the toombstones.

At least the sequence is a little off. Before, it was flu slaughter, first world war, great depression, second world war. Now it's great depression, flu slaughter lite, misc. wars, then who knows what's next...

Michael Heather
May 3rd, 2009, 02:20 AM
Before we go comparing this to the 1918 pandemic, oops, too late.

Remember that the news conduits do not make any money selling good health, prosperity or harmony. Therefore, we will not hear or read about anything harboring those traits. The only newsman who ever spent time on good news is dead. Long live Paul Harvey.

All of the 55-59 age group men should, for safety's sake, stay home this coming week and not tempt fate. I think that was in the governator's proclamation. You could look it up.:bed:

Fresnoid
May 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Before we go comparing this to the 1918 pandemic, oops, too late.

Remember that the news conduits do not make any money selling good health, prosperity or harmony. Therefore, we will not hear or read about anything harboring those traits. The only newsman who ever spent time on good news is dead. Long live Paul Harvey.

All of the 55-59 age group men should, for safety's sake, stay home this coming week and not tempt fate. I think that was in the governator's proclamation. You could look it up.:bed:

I think I read somewhere that the west coast strain is particularly aggressive with men ages 55-59. It is recommended that such people avoid spending multiple hours in an enclosed environment (such as an airplane or automobile) until after May 10.

Allen Stark
May 3rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
i believe this is also true for 60-64 men especially breaststrokers.If they are coming from close to Mexico,say any where in the SPMA area they are putting us all at risk and should definitely stay home!!

SwimStud
May 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
At least the sequence is a little off. Before, it was flu slaughter, first world war, great depression, second world war. Now it's great depression, flu slaughter lite, misc. wars, then who knows what's next...

Next would be your video domination of the blog board Jimby!