PDA

View Full Version : The "Most" at Spring Nationals ?

ehoch
May 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Wondering what some of the unofficial records are at short-course nationals:

Most consecutive meets attended ?

Most meets attended and estimated travel mileage for all those meets ?

Most consecutive wins in an event ?

Most Titles ?

Swimmers winning a "dceade" in an event - meaning winning a race every year in their 40ies, 50 ies or so on ?

Has anybody won every event (over several years of course) - if not who has won the most different events ?

Any other mosts you can think of ... ?

Karen Duggan
May 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I've got several thousand miles since 1993! AZ x 2, FL x 2, MN, Indy x2 or 3, WA x 2, can't think of more at the moment.

I know there are people with a lot more than me!

Most money spent on suits! :lmao:

jim clemmons
May 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Sorry, second most. :bump:

pwb
May 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Judging from the sheer number of suits that Ande trains in and races in, I think he's got this "most" won hands down.

jim clemmons
May 4th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Judging from the sheer number of suits that Ande trains in and races in, I think he's got this "most" won hands down.

:cool: I think you're right. Karen's now down to #3.

Karen Duggan
May 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Good God man! I did not mean that I spent the most on suits. I was suggesting it as a category.

I am CHEAP! The B70 was a huge lark. I think I've only bought one other suit over $100 ever, and that was a TYR something or other back in 2005. And I still swam poorly!

I do most of my suit shopping at swim outlet. The best deal I ever got was two TYR suits (knee) and they were like $30 each. Good thing they were cheap too- one of 'em got cut off of me in the ER at 2007 Nationals! I really liked that suit too!

Actually, I take that back, the Yingfa from George Park was the best deal EVER. Fast suit $53 with shipping and tax and I got it in 2 days from Canada.
Thanks George. BTW George, Andy Brown LOVES it too :agree:

Fresnoid
May 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Good God man! I did not mean that I spent the most on suits. I was suggesting it as a category.

I am CHEAP! The B70 was a huge lark. I think I've only bought one other suit over $100 ever, and that was a TYR something or other back in 2005. And I still swam poorly!

I do most of my suit shopping at swim outlet. The best deal I ever got was two TYR suits (knee) and they were like $30 each. Good thing they were cheap too- one of 'em got cut off of me in the ER at 2007 Nationals! I really liked that suit too!

Actually, I take that back, the Yingfa from George Park was the best deal EVER. Fast suit $53 with shipping and tax and I got it in 2 days from Canada.
Thanks George. BTW George, Andy Brown LOVES it too :agree:

I hope the ying fa I bought from George work well. That $53 is the first time I have ever spent over $20 for a suit (maybe less).

Karen, What's the ER story? I'm certain the experienced posters around here have heard the details more often than they want, but I'm new. So what happened?

Karen Duggan
May 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I don't think I've posted it anywhere except in my pregnancy blog, b/c I thought I would lose the baby...
I'll PM you with the details.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
May 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I don't think I've posted it anywhere except in my pregnancy blog, b/c I thought I would lose the baby...
I'll PM you with the details.

I want to hear about the ER too Karen...

Back on the subject - I started swimming masters about 28 years ago in San Diego.
I swear that Barbara Dunbar has been at every swim practice, every swim meet, USMS convention, and National Championships.
And that includes little to no time off for giving birth to 2 sons and hip replacement.
In true masters swim fashion, those boys grew up on the pool deck - sleeping in strollers to homework in the bleachers.

She is also one of the historians for our masters swimmers.
She has all the numbers.
Lets' ask her in Clovis!

I bet she is one of "The Most".

Karen Duggan
May 5th, 2009, 12:18 AM
How about most yards swum preparing for a nationals?

Ahelee- I will tell you when I meet you in Clovis. Is that OK? I just don't want to post it, 'cause I don't want to come across as drama.

Although? Hmm. We could have most serious injury/physical ailment at a Nationals?

I DO NOT want to enter that category again!

mbmg3282
May 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Ted Hartz has attended all but one (maybe two) national championships. Not only does he come and swim in them all, but you will also find him officiating on the deck at nationals.

Graham Johnston is tied for breaking the most FINA Masters World Records. Many of those swims have been at our nationals.

I don't know for certain, but I would bet that Laura Val and Jim McConica have won their events for an entire age group if not for a decade. Rich Abrahams would be in that category too, but he misses nationals occasionally.

Skip Thompson would know the answer to all these questions except for the swim suit one.

The Fortress
May 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Skip Thompson would know the answer to all these questions ...

Most wall lanes. That'll test Skip.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
May 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
In the clip on Floswimming.org, Richard Burns the great says he has swum in every single SC Nationals since 1980!

Frank Thompson
May 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ted Hartz has attended all but one (maybe two) national championships. Not only does he come and swim in them all, but you will also find him officiating on the deck at nationals.

Graham Johnston is tied for breaking the most FINA Masters World Records. Many of those swims have been at our nationals.

I don't know for certain, but I would bet that Laura Val and Jim McConica have won their events for an entire age group if not for a decade. Rich Abrahams would be in that category too, but he misses nationals occasionally.

Skip Thompson would know the answer to all these questions except for the swim suit one.

The most consecutive meets attended by a US Masters swimmer is by June Krauser. She had attended every masters nationals from 1971 to 2007. The first Nationals she missed was the 2008 Short Course Nationals in Austin. There was not a Masters Long Course Nationals in 1970, 1971, and 2006. That is 73 straight national meets and I don't think anybody has a streak like this. Ted Hartz will probably be a close second. The only other person that I can think of that had a streak like this was a guy named Art Welsh from Oregon. At one time he had gone to every Nationals and he and June were written up in Swim Magazine about this because they had gone to every Nationals for over 25 years in 1996. June has also gone to every USAS Convention that masters was involved in. Ted Hartz probably has also.

Graham Johnson would probably have the record for most National Records because he has been very consistent is his swimming for almost 37 years. Jim McConica joined USMS around 1982 and Laura Val joined in 1986, so they have some catching up to do but both could eventually pass Graham.

I remember the first Nationals that I attended was in Fort Lauderdale in 1983. At that meet, Jim McConica won every event except the last one he swam, which was the 400 IM. He lost to Tim McKee, who was from Fort Lauderdale and was the sliver medalist in that event in the 1972 Olympics losing by two-thousands of a second to Gunnar Larson of Sweden. This was the closest race decision in the history of the Olympics and resulted in an International rule change in that swimming races would be decided by a hundredths of a second and if the times were the same they would be declared a tie. There have been two ties since 1972. Jim McConica almost caught McKee on the free leg and lost by a very small margin.

I would not know the suit question. Wall lanes would the most boring question to answer. You would have to go thru every heat book of all of the 75 National Championships to figure that one out. I would feel real sorry for someone forced to figure that one out.

jim clemmons
May 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM
How about most DQ's?

Anybody have a handle on someone with a bad luck streak?

Ahelee Sue Osborn
May 5th, 2009, 11:28 PM
How about most DQ's?

Ask Andy Macpherson - 100 IM
:)

Michael Heather
May 5th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I got DQ'd on the blocks at Grand Forks in the 50 Fly in 1989. Didn't even get wet.

So far, I am high with one.

ALM
May 5th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I got DQ'd on the blocks at Grand Forks in the 50 Fly in 1989. Didn't even get wet.

On the blocks? What did you do?

knelson
May 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM
There have been two ties since 1972.

Hey, I know the answer to this quiz! Nancy Hogshead and Carrie Steinseifer in the 100 free in 1984 and Gary Hall Jr and Anthony Ervin in the 50 in 2000. Interesting that both times it was U.S. swimmers who tied. I remember in the '84 race the timing console actually displayed results out to .001, but the official times only went to .01.

I'm sure some people might wonder, if they have the technology to time out to that accuracy, why not do it? I think there's sound scientific reason not to. Let's assume 2.5 m/s is the fastest possible swimming speed (Fred Bousquet's recent swim in the 50 free comes out to 2.39 m/s). In 0.001 seconds swimming at that speed you'd cover 2.5/1000 = 0.0025 meters or 2.5 mm (very close to 0.1 inch). Fina rules allow a positive tolerance of 3 cm on pool length, so timing out to 0.001 second really does not makes sense since the tolerance on the length of the pool is an order of magnitude greater than the timing resolution. Ina race of 50 meters some swimmers might have to swim 3 cm more than other swimmers and the pool would still be perfectly legal. At 2.5 m/s this would take them 0.012 seconds.

Michael Heather
May 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM
On the blocks? What did you do?

After thinking about it, I remembered it wrong. It was a false start. After the heat got back, I was singled out for moving during the set. I did not see it the same way, but to no avail. I think I was standing behind the block when the DQ was announced (to my shock), hence my initial report.

meldyck
May 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I'm betting my pet swine that I'll show up at Clovis with the MOST red wine from Paso Robles. Any takers?

jim clemmons
May 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Ask Andy Macpherson - 100 IM
:)

I saw Andy get deeked in a 100IM at the Davis Pentathlon a couple of years ago. Dolphin kicking during breaststroke - the entire length. Bad knees. I see he's entered at Clovis in it. Hopefully the knees are in order now.

Karen Duggan
May 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Note this post Michael Moore!

I think it was 1997 Nationals. Michael Moore DQs BOTH Duggan's. Pat in the 400 IM, which he won by more than half a body length (he cited that one hand was 'about an inch' lower than the other on one breaststroke turn), and then DQd me in 200 back, where I got 2nd (close to 1st I think), because on my first turn I "glided" into the wall- but only on the first turn (when I had the most speed you know).

Michael was NOT a very popular person in our house for some time. But now I've got to know him and really like him. And more than that he has contributed SO MUCH to Pacific Masters and USMS both. His efforts are tremendous, as are Nancy Ridout's and Barry Fasbenders. (But they didn't DQ us!).

Ahelee Sue Osborn
May 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Dolphin kicking during breaststroke - the entire length.

Some say this is going to be a version of the new breastroke... but for now - still illegal!

pwb
May 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm betting my pet swine that I'll show up at Clovis with the MOST red wine from Paso Robles. Any takers?

If you're looking for takers to help you "deal" with all of that, ask and ye shall receive a multitude of assistance.

mctrusty
May 6th, 2009, 12:34 PM

I'll take some wine.

Its a slow show
May 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Here is a stat for you about my friend Bob Strand. Since 1991 (missed three years in early 2000's) 50,100 200 breast SCY Nats 36-5, LC nats 31-2 and World's 17-1 84 wins and 8 losses in his career.

ALM
May 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Here is a stat for you about my friend Bob Strand. Since 1991 (missed three years in early 2000's) 50,100 200 breast SCY Nats 36-5, LC nats 31-2 and World's 17-1 84 wins and 8 losses in his career.

I sure hope all this talk about Bob Strand doesn't go to his head... :bolt:

Qwerty
May 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Scuttlebut is that Strand is going to handicap himself this year by swimming with one arm tied behind his back- to give everyone else a chance to think they could maybe beat him.

mbmg3282
May 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Slow Show,

I could have used your help gathering information on Strand this past fall. I had the opportunity to introduce him at his IMSHOF induction ceremony, but didn't have that depth of trivia. You must know him well. Have you been swimming together long?

jroddin
May 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Jim Clemmons writes:

How about most DQ's?

I have a teammate that can vie for this title. Here are his DQs at Nationals that come to mind off the top of my head:

1997 Seattle: 100 IM (false start, was seeded 1st and had the national record going into the swim)
2000 Indy: 50 free (false start)
2000 UMBC: 50 back (swam the race and broke the WR only to find out he flinched on the start and got DQd)
2003 Tempe: 100 back (swam the race and won by a bodylength but got DQd for flinching on the start)
2006 Coral Springs: 200 Med Rel (led off with 50 back USMS record, freestyler "jumped" so the relay was DQd and the leadoff record didn't count)

I won't give his name. But I suppose we can give him the nickname Twitch?!

Regarding Nationals attendance: I went to 6 or 7 meets as a spectator before I was eligible (old enough) to swim. I did manage to sneak into the competition pool during warms ups in Indy when I was 14 (1983). I don't think USMS had warmup Marshalls back then! I was also served beer at the social in Providence when I was only 16 (1985)! I don't think we had USMS Legal Counsel back then! :) As a swimmer I've competed in 22 Nationals plus one Worlds (Stanford). But at this rate I still don't think I'll ever catch June Krauser or Ted Haartz! :bow:

Peter Cruise
May 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM
The SCNats in Stanford in mid-80's, on the first day earned the title of fewest number of toilets per competitors; the next day the greatest number of porta-potties seen at a swim meet; the following day the highest bids on rolls of toilet paper after said portables ran out.
There. I knew you wanted to know real milestones rather than routine stuff. How about Nats with most lightning delays or say, longest delay waiting for paramedics to arrive?

ALM
May 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
The SCNats in Stanford in mid-80's, on the first day earned the title of fewest number of toilets per competitors; the next day the greatest number of porta-potties seen at a swim meet; the following day the highest bids on rolls of toilet paper after said portables ran out.
There. I knew you wanted to know real milestones rather than routine stuff. How about Nats with most lightning delays or say, longest delay waiting for paramedics to arrive?

Minneapolis, 1999 LC Nationals: Longest shutdown of a warm-up pool due to a "Baby Ruth" incident....