PDA

View Full Version : Does TI work?

Matt S
June 2nd, 2003, 08:31 PM
I have heard many discussion participants question whether Total Immersion methods work for "elite" level swimmers, or those who go "very fast." I would refer anyone with a similar question to the following: http://www.totalimmersion.net/mag-apr03-2-fast.html.

Please note that although the post is on the total immersion web site, it refers to articles in the open press which can be verified.

Matt

mbmg3282
June 3rd, 2003, 01:42 AM
Try this link:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/mag-apr03-2-fast.html

The previous post had a period at the end which caused the page not found error.

Lumpy
February 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM
hmm. Must work for somebody.

Spock
February 11th, 2008, 12:42 AM
The link does not work for Spock.

Brian Stack
February 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
The link does not work for Spock.
Maybe it doesn't work because it's almost five years old? Or would that be illogical? :doh:

tomtopo
February 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I have watched the TI DVD's and it seems the TI ethos is to decrease stroke rates and increase comfort levels for swimmers( I love being comfortable in the water). With that being said, itís important for you to note that 16 of 20gold medals and 43 of the 60 medals won in Athens, were with a high-elbow stroke or Early Vertical Forearm (EVF) stroke.

Iíd like to maintain that an Early Vertical Forearm position is a condition inherent in effective propulsion. Anytime inertia is compromised so is speed. An EVF is an inertia generating position. An EVF ďsets-upĒ the hand into the most effective propulsive position (in all competitive strokes).

I will end by pointing to the timeless work of James Counsilman and Earnest Maglishco , who both expound on the necessity of an EVF position as it relates to propulsion. 16 of 20 gold medals and 43 of the 60 medals won in Athens were with a high-elbow stroke and I donít know what else to tell you except watch the videos and see for yourself.

I have had swimmers with shoulder cuff limitiation and serious shoulder injuries that improve their EVF and drop times. Anyone can improve their EVF and swim faster so there's really no good reason to avoid it. Remember, EVF and streamlining go hand-in-hand. So, Rejoice my colleagues --- TI and EVF go together like peas and carrots. Streamlining and Speed - Amen!