PDA

View Full Version : Places to swim near Hyannis, MA

cdeec11
May 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hi - I will be spending Memorial Day weekend in Hyannis, MA, and was hoping to find a place to swim - either pool or open water - while there. I looked on the places to swim list, but there aren't any in Hyannis proper and I am unfamiliar with the area. I also tried the New England LMSC site and its not very user friendly - just a really long list.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

jbs
May 14th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'm up in Maine, so I don't have any personal info, but you might want to try the New England Masters page (different from the LMSC):
http://www.swimnem.org/wordpress/

They have this page that looks like it might help:
http://www.swimnem.org/pools/index.html

gigi
May 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
There's a YMCA in Barnstable (Hyannis is a village in Barnstable, so this is right in the town where you'll be) with a pool. It's on rte 132 (ianough road (sp?)) and it couldn't be easier to get to. If you're venturing to the lower cape there's a place on the Orleans/Eastham line - that used to be called the Norseman, but I think it's called Willy's now. It's right on route 6 - a beaten path if there ever was one.

Enjoy your Cape Cod weekend. I used to live there and I miss it like crazy!

gigi
May 14th, 2009, 09:36 PM
as for open water - ummmmmmmm
how about Cape Cod Bay?
Your best bet is Brewster or Dennis especially if it's an afternoon high tide (it'll be warmer) - you can hop in and swim along the shoreline until you want to turn around and come back - not many, if any, waves on the bayside and the water's nice.
Craigville beach is usually pretty warm too - relatively speaking...it is MAY after all!

The cape is full of ponds so if you can take the cold temp, you can find more freshwater than you can shake a stick at.

chaos
May 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
the y in barnstable has a pretty full program. i tried to swim there once and had to share a lane with a few others... it was crowded.

johns pond in mashpee hosts a 5k each year at the end of june. its quite nice though i don't know what the temp will be next week, it is always in the low to mid 70's by the third week of june. old silver beach will be warmer than cape cod bay... i think.

cdeec11
May 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Am hoping the water temp is in the 60s by next week and I can swim in the ocean!