PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever housed a swimmer for a big meet before?

Couroboros
May 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I got an e-mail from my club about housing swimmers for the Santa Clara International Swim Meet. I thought, "Huh, that sounds interesting..."

Have any of you done something like this before? Good experience? Bad experience? Did the swimmer vacuum your house of all possible food?

gobears
May 20th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I got an e-mail from my club about housing swimmers for the Santa Clara International Swim Meet. I thought, "Huh, that sounds interesting..."

Have any of you done something like this before? Good experience? Bad experience? Did the swimmer vacuum your house of all possible food?

I have a funny story about being "housed" by a woman in Canada when my team was visiting Edmonton for a meet in the late 80's. I was 17 and totally naive. She was having an affair and helping her friend have an affair. I got to go to "the apartment" with her to see if her boyfriend had delivered their new bed :afraid: AND she had a cot for me set up in her room so she could chat about how her boyfriend was going to leave his wife soon (yeah, right) into the wee hours of the night. OMG. It was MUCH harder on me than on her...

pwb
May 20th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Yes. We did this years ago when I was swimming Masters with Phoenix Swim Club. The club team had a big summer meet and an elite junior team from Canada was coming down. As we had two daughters at the time, we agreed to host two teenaged girls from the team. It was a great experience; the girls were wonderful guests and interacted very well with our daughters (who were like 6 or 8 at the time). It was even cooler this summer when we got to see one of these young women competing for the Canadian Olympic team!

ddl
May 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM
No doubt everything in the house from furniture to food will smell chlorine :cool:

ande
May 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
It's fun
Just be an awesome host.

Have any of you done something like this before?
Good experience?
Bad experience?
Did the swimmer vacuum your house of all possible food?

tjrpatt
May 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I was housed by a family when I went to Bermuda for a this swim meet when I was 13. It was a fun experience. The family lived on a farm and the kids were nice. The meet wasn't that prestigious but I did my first Open Water Swim at some bay there so that was cool. I got to see all of Bermuda and the people were really nice.

aquageek
May 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM

A number of close friends have housed Grand Prix swimmers, including many for UltraSwim last weekend. To a family, it was very rewarding for the swimmers and host family. We sat with one family who was hosting some Penn State swimmers last weekend and they said glowing things about the swimmers. I have heard this from many many of our club families over a number of years.

I have heard to prepare for a few things - they like to nap and they like to eat. If they don't drive you will be shuttling them to and fro quite a bit, multiple times a day to the pool.

We will be doing it next year ourselves.

Lump
May 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I've been on both ends as a swimmer. Hosted in Canada (Etobicoke) and hosted a Canadian. Been hosted by Mission Viejo. Hosted a guy my age for a whole summer that is now the head coach at Perdue.

Great experiences all. It is great to see how people live differently in different parts. When I went to Canada I couldn't get over them drinking milk out of bags! :D

Charge
May 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM
We housed 2 South Africans in our house one summer in Houston.

Never a dull moment.

One of them was actually using the house to smuggle in diamonds on the black market.

Good Stuff.

Couroboros
June 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Got my swimmers! They're from Vancouver. One of them's a national record-breaker.

They're coming in next Wednesday. I of course will be getting a free pass to the whole meet. I'm really excited. This is the first time I'm going to see some really, really, really, ridiculously, ludicrously fast people tear up the water.

poolraat
June 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
We're housing an assistant coach from U of U this week. She is conducting a swim clinic for our age group team.