PDA

View Full Version : time to start discussion on the 2002 Convention

breastroker
March 9th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Well — I started it last year, so why not break the ice this year. It is time to start discussion on the 2002 Convention. It is half way through the year from September to September Convention. The last two years the discussion groups definitely helped get the emotional issues out in the open, so by convention most people were feeling better about their decisions. I think the discussion forums helped the executive team to understand the feeling of the House of Delegates.

I had been hoping the North West Zone would be the ones to start the ball rolling on rule changes regarding pool length certification, and Top 10 in all pool lengths. Most of the discussion was on the prior discussion forum, but there was a consensus that something had to change.

“I was struck by how much we were able to accomplish in such a condensed convention.” Quote from Bill Volkening on the old forum. I feel most of us who frequent the discussion forum realize that in this electronic age, most if not all of our work can be accomplished before convention. I know the executive team at USMS feels the same. For those that do not know it, Jim Matysek has preserved the old forum groups at http://www.usms.org/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?6/6

So how about it Dan, Ginger, Sandi, your group came through with dignity and class. How about starting the rule changes.

Wayne McCauley
SPMA Chairman
SouthWest Zone Chairman

Frosty
August 11th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Greetings again! It's just about time for our fourth season of pre-convention rules/legislation change debates!

The convention packet is going to be coming out very soon. (On our working calendar, it's supposed to get into the mail tomorrow.)

I've had the pleasure of starting the discussions on our more interesting proposals over the past three years, but this year, I would like to have some others stick their necks out first. Starting the discussions has been my way of helping (at least, I think I was) USMS when I could not attend the convention myself. While I will likely miss the convention again this year, I'm going to step back a bit from my previous role because...
1. I'm now a director of this fine corporation
2. My day job (The U.S. Navy) is barely giving me enough discretionary opportunities to do things like my other job (NW Zone Rep).

So, when the packet reaches the public, let the feeding frenzy begin!

P.S. I haven't seen any of the proposed rules/legislation changes, including anything that might have anything to do with the "pool length" incidents. All in all, I'm thinking that this year might be one of the "quieter" ones. We've made quite a few changes to the rule book in the last few years and my sense is that most folks are comfortable with what we have on the books now.

Rob Copeland
August 20th, 2002, 03:54 PM
OK, since Dan is looking for discussion regarding the proposed changes to the rule book and other actions scheduled for convention this year let me bring up proposed Rule change R2 – which among other things takes the selection process for USMS National Championship meets out of the hands of the House of Delegates and places the selection process in the Championship Committee. The primary Rationale was given that ”The Championship Committee should be responsible for the awarding of national championships because it has members experienced in overseeing a national championship meet”.

I for one would rather expand the discussion on where we hold our National Championships, rather than limit it. It would be nice if we could have information regarding the potential sites posted in the USMS forum and allow a broader audience to voice opinions and concerns regarding the viability of each of the locations. Typically at convention I vote based on want I think my constituency would want. It would be great if I had their input prior to convention – either through this forum or by other means of communication.

Philip Arcuni
August 20th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Convention, shmention:

Rob has THE BEST (!) avatar! I nominate him the *king* of the forum (and convention, if possible).

Rob Copeland
August 20th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Thanks Philip,

And a special thanks to Albert – the first person to bring swimmer's hair into vogue:D