PDA

View Full Version : Torres swimming in College Station this weekend

hofffam
May 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
....at the Texas Senior Circuit meet at Texas A&M.

In prelims she dusted the 50 fly (LCM) field with a 25.84. Only two men swam faster than her - one of them Ricky Berens.

Live results (http://dhbrown.bluedomino.com/2009SrCir2/)

JoeBob
May 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Holy smokes, she's on fire.
Veldhuis went 25.33 in a Jaked-01 and Alshamma's 25.46 was done in a LZR.
Let's see what she does tonight.

pwolf66
May 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Nice to know I'm faster than that.........in yards!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

hrietz
May 22nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
I find it interesting that she is swimming fly again. I thought that she said prior to Trials in 2008 that she couldn't swim fly any more because of her shoulders. AND if I'm not mistaken she had another shoulder operation right after the Games.

hofffam
May 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Maybe she's testing fly in the 50. It seems like she is REALLY fast now. She beat her field by 2 secs - probably more than a body length.

She seems to really like 50s. (So do I!)

Charge
May 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
There's a 15 year old named Luke Torres from the same club also swimming this meet. Related? I thought her kids were much younger than that.

analazy
May 22nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
She did 25.84 prelims! American record!
Good for her!

elise526
May 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
I find it interesting that she is swimming fly again. I thought that she said prior to Trials in 2008 that she couldn't swim fly any more because of her shoulders. AND if I'm not mistaken she had another shoulder operation right after the Games.

Maybe she is THE BIONIC WOMAN?

SLOmmafan
May 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
I think she only has one kid - a girl under 4 or so.

It's to bad they don't add the other 50 m races to the Olympics. I am sure races like the 50 m fly and back could get a lot of good ratings (people like sprints!).

tjrpatt
May 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Turnout seems to be low. This would be a good meet to do to get Finals swimming experience because some of the events didn't have 24 swimmers in it. Our LSC meets only have B finals unless it is the Middle Atlantic Champs which has C final.

knelson
May 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
There have been some nice swims at the Mel Zajac meet in Vancouver. Annamay Pierse of Canada swam a 1:07.3 100 breast. Ryan Cochrane 7:51 in the 800 free. Megan Jendrick didn't let the broken leg affect her much. She finaled in both the 100 breast and 50 fly. Also the US Junior team is there and Melissa Franklin is really lighting it up. She won the 200 back and swam a 55 low free relay leg. This girl is one to watch for sure. She was born in 1996, for heaven's sake!

notsofast
May 24th, 2009, 06:25 AM
She did it because she wasn't feeling so great. So she dropped the 100 free and added the 50 fly.

:bow:
http://www.examiner.com/x-2490-Endurance-Sports-Examiner~y2009m5d23-Dara-Torres-sets-new-America-50-fly-record-in-Texas

Karen Duggan
May 26th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I finished reading her book a couple of weeks ago. My hubby bought it for me for Mother's Day.

In her book she said she had her shoulder "cleaned out" after the Olympics. I would think she would be 100% after that.

Good for her.

She also commented at the end of her book something about "how cool would it be for a 6 year old Tessa to see her mom swim in London in 2012".
I have no doubt she'll go for that gold in the 50 free. She won't rest until she gets it. She HATES to lose. Age schmage. (She'll be 45).

Ahelee Sue Osborn
May 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
In her book she said she had her shoulder "cleaned out" after the Olympics. I would think she would be 100% after that.
I have no doubt she'll go for that gold in the 50 free. She won't rest until she gets it. She HATES to lose. Age schmage. (She'll be 45).

I read Dara's book on my SwimFest travels and thought it was very worthwhile (and fun!) from a coach or a swimmer's perspective.

She really takes us through the years of her experience with different coaches, physical and mental highs and lows, pool locations, race prep, competitons - and her life.
It is mind boggling that this woman was able to repeatedly leave the sport and return - to rise to the most elite level of swimming in so many different phases of her life.

I also have the sense that Dara Torres is not finished.
Why on earth should she be if she still loves it - has the resources - and is one of the 2 or 3 fastest sprinters on earth?

No one has proved that she, Lezak, or any of these other career professional swimmers are doing anything illegal to stay in the game.
I wish them all well - and love watching them swim so FAST!

The book, AGE IS JUST A NUMBER, is fun stuff. Masters swimmers will enjoy it - she does a good job by us!

LOVED how she gives credit to Randy Nutt for bringing her back into the competition at workout in Florida!