PDA

View Full Version : Rowdy sponsered by blueseventy

Rich Abrahams
June 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
I found this article on the masters athlete website. I like what it said about the economic power of masters athletes.

Masters athlete gets sponsorship
By Sean Callahan

That headline is of the man-bites-dog variety, but it's something I like to see. A Masters athlete got a sponsor. It probably helps that he's a three time Olympic gold medalist, but Rowdy Gaines is now in his 50s and he received a sponsorship from blueseventy, which makes swimskins and wetsuits. Gaines is a devoted Masters swimmer. He set a couple of records at the recent U.S. Masters Swimming Short Course National Championship in Fresno, Calif. He also handled some announcing duties at the event. "I have been involved with this great sport for 35 years," Gaines said in a press release announcing his deal with blueseventy. "It is amazing what blueseventy has brought to swimming. I am so proud to be a part of a company that thinks of the athlete first, both young and old." It sure seems like blueseventy is thinking of young swimmers and Masters swimmers. I hope other advertisers begin to understand that all the Masters athletes out there are a big, rich market.

orca1946
June 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM
At last, a role model that I can relate to!!:applaud:

scyfreestyler
June 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM
There is a video interview related to this topic on FloSwimming.

born2fly
June 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Speaking of Rowdy. He was at our swim pool on Friday putting on a swim clinic for the swim team, doing autographs and pictures. Of course I had to attend because he was one I looked up to while in HS. He was great with the kids.

One of the age groupers asked him about the tech suits. He stated that he does not mind the tech suits in the world class arena because everyone has one. What he did not like is at the age group level where swimmers that have the means to purchase one (parents) and then those that can not afford them. He would like to see it be a level playing field.

At the end of the clinic, he had what was called the ultimate race. We have 8 lane pool so 7 swimmers were chosen by coach to race Rowdy in a 25. Coached picked 2 seniors and then the youngers kids. I wasnt a chosen one but was fun to watch. He even brought a gold medal and it got passed around, very cool!

Typhoons Coach
June 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
One of the age groupers asked him about the tech suits. He stated that he does not mind the tech suits in the world class arena because everyone has one. What he did not like is at the age group level where swimmers that have the means to purchase one (parents) and then those that can not afford them. He would like to see it be a level playing field.

I have to say that I agree with Rowdy on this point with regard to the tech suits and age groups.

Lump
June 1st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Now B70 just needs to get back on the approved list.

orca1946
June 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Fina needs to be tested :bolt: