PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Returning Competitive Swimmers

Ahelee Sue Osborn
June 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
A great thread was started recently in regard to coaching a swimmer who returns to the pool expecting to be as fast as they were in college - or as a kid...

As a masters coach, this can be a very frustrating issue.
But if we do a good job in helping the athlete through this process, we have a better chance at keeping them in the sport for life.

Check it out!

Unrewarded Training - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
I feel like my expectations are realistic. Where I have issues is race times not up to snuff compared to workouts. I'm pretty sure it's just due to inadequate rest before racing but I don't have any idea how much is enough vs. too much rest.

pwolf66
June 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
keith,

An effective taper is one of the most difficult things to identify. Everyone is different and reacts differently. My suggestion is to track your tapers and try to quantify which ones gave you the 'best' results. Then try to mimic that plan to see if those results are consistent. The only constant is change.

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
keith,

An effective taper is one of the most difficult things to identify. Everyone is different and reacts differently. My suggestion is to track your tapers and try to quantify which ones gave you the 'best' results. Then try to mimic that plan to see if those results are consistent. The only constant is change.

Talking to friends at Nats who I hadn't seen in 25-30 years, they all said it takes several tries to figure out how to rest once you're old

pwolf66
June 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Talking to friends at Nats who I hadn't seen in 25-30 years, they all said it takes several tries to figure out how to rest once you're old

I think tapering for swimming/track is one of the most challenging tapers out there. I've tapered for powerlifting competitions and those were a BREEZE compared to swimming tapers. Ugh.