PDA

View Full Version : I have a note from Swimfest that says Armpit!

Kevin in MD
June 9th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I was going over the notes I have from swimfest, Jim Montgomery's handout says this.

"The Catch 4 x 50 on 1:30 - Armpit!"

And I can't connect the armpit comment to the catch in my mind. Anyone who was there specifically remember how these go together?

Before you get all snarky and suggest I ask Jim directly, I tried.

So do you guys or gals remember?

pwolf66
June 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I would imagine that it involves touching your thumb to your arm pit on the recovery. I wasn't there but that's what it sounds like.

Kevin in MD
June 11th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Oh come on now, I know some of you folks were there.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
June 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM
As I recall, Olympic Gold Medalist, Jim Montgomery was describing the position he recomends the body be in at "the catch" in freestyle.
Rotated body, pressing along the line of the ARMPIT.

Scanned a copy of the notes Jim gave us in his section - attached below...

Kevin in MD
June 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Those are the notes I was looking at yes.

Jim emailed me today,

"Just think about opening the armpit as much as possible to the bottom of the pool during the catch. Just another way to visualize keeping the fingers tips pointed towards the bottom of the pool and the elbow high during the pull."

Ahelee, since you refer to Jim as "Olympic Gold Medalist Jim Mongtomery, please refer to me as "guy who never won anything, Kevin Joubert" from now on :-)

thewookiee
June 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Those are the notes I was looking at yes.

Ahelee, since you refer to Jim as "Olympic Gold Medalist Jim Mongtomery, please refer to me as "guy who never won anything, Kevin Joubert" from now on :-)

Well, according to the bad girlz, you are referred to as "Keith Kevin from MD"

ViveBene
June 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I was going over the notes I have from swimfest, Jim Montgomery's handout says this.

"The Catch 4 x 50 on 1:30 - Armpit!"

And I can't connect the armpit comment to the catch in my mind. Anyone who was there specifically remember how these go together?

I just reread this on Rob Butcher's wrap-up of SwimFest, Day 3, post 47 in that thread:

"Another of Mike’s lessons that he demonstrates well when watching videotape with swimmers is how we keep pressure on chest and arm pit area when stroking underwater. If we release that pressure before the next stroke comes through, our elbows will fall thus leading to an inefficient stroke. "