PDA

View Full Version : Forming an OW Group- 1 Day a Week

Lump
June 9th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Since I live fairly close to Allatoona and my family also has a cabin on the North side of the Lake (Wilderness Camp) I figured it might be the perfect opportunity to see if there was any interest in forming an OW group.

I haven't really thought out all the particulars but I could put in a call to DNR and see if they had any objections, suggestions, rules, etc. My "vision" is that it would be open to anyone (pool swimmers, OW swimmers, triathletes) and we could have a kayaker or two (for safety, food, drink). The course would be at a predetermined location (maybe different parts of the lake or in the same area?) where we could lay out a course in a quiet cove with some 1' buoys (or similar). Obviously it would take some coordination and I'd need a few volunteers but I'd like to make it a regular Sat or Sun morning thing to break up just swimming in the pool. I've kind of really taken to open water stuff and would like to get more opportunities to do them other than competitions. I already do them at times when my family goes up to the lake on the weekends or during the week, but doing it alone isn't the safest thing in world. I figure safety in numbers. This would also give us a chance to do some cold water swimming in the late fall as long as lake levels are good.

So anyway, who's interested? Thoughts?

hnatkin
June 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Pete Farren leads an open water swim at Red Top Mountain 2x per month (on Saturdays). He has a pretty sizeable mailing list and he and a few volunteers take out some kayaks to watch the swimmers. You might want to talk with him about making the schedule more regular. You can email him at swim.with.pete@gmail.com
Next swim is scheduled for 6/27.

Lump
June 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Pete Farren leads an open water swim at Red Top Mountain 2x per month (on Saturdays). He has a pretty sizeable mailing list and he and a few volunteers take out some kayaks to watch the swimmers. You might want to talk with him about making the schedule more regular. You can email him at swim.with.pete@gmail.com
Next swim is scheduled for 6/27.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to get in touch with Pete and make the next swim.:applaud:

hnatkin
June 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Sounds like we are both going to chattanooga so I'll see you tomorrow!

Lump
June 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Sounds like we are both going to chattanooga so I'll see you tomorrow!

I am! What age group are you? I'm 38 on Sunday!

My brother is driving me up so I can sleep on the way. I think we are leaving at 5AM! I sure hope the weather holds out.

hnatkin
June 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I'm in the same age group for the women. Driving up with a friend who will be doing the 1.2 mi swim. Not sure who's driving but I'm not worried about the drive up since I get up almost that early anyway. It's the drive home that will put me on the floor! See you tomorrow!

Lump
June 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I hear ya. My little ones have been sick for the last 3 days so my sleep pattern is all messed up. I'll just get a good sleep tonight. We are staying at our family cabin on Allatoona so it puts us further North and close to 75. I'll get in the lake this afternoon and do a little swim for 30-45 minutes.

Come up and say hi by the way, I'll be the big bald guy (my name is Jeff) that looks more like a football player than a swimmer! My brother works for Kastaway Swimwear and will have a little pop up set up and some goody bags for participants.

hnatkin
June 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'll be in the green plaid speedo (not as horrendous as it sounds).
Tell your brother to bring some women's clearance Speedo endurance in size 32. My friend needs a new suit!

sog
January 10th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Do ya'll still meet? I'm a newbie looking for an OW group in the Atlanta/Georgia area..... Are you swimming this time of year? If not, when does it start up? When do you meet? How long do you swim?

Lump
January 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Do ya'll still meet? I'm a newbie looking for an OW group in the Atlanta/Georgia area..... Are you swimming this time of year? If not, when does it start up? When do you meet? How long do you swim?

Done for the season. Not sure when they start up again...March or April I'd guess. Send an email to Pete (go up a few postings) and get on his email list.

We usually meet 2x a month at 8:00am at Red Top Mountain Park. The swim can be pretty much as long or as short as you'd like (100 yards to 5 miles). There is a course set up with some reference points, but a full loop is like 1.2 miles I believe. I usually go 2 or 3 loops.

Right now I'm concentrating on swimming at Master Nationals at GA Tech so I'm not sure how my OW swimming I'll be doing until the end of May.

sog
January 10th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Cool. They've got a great facility here. I swam 3 miles in the CRC pool this afternoon!

Lump
January 10th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Cool. They've got a great facility here. I swam 3 miles in the CRC pool this afternoon!

What/Where is the CRC pool?

I swim at the Cobb Central Pool in Marietta M,T, Th, F from 0600-0730 and avg. 5000 yards (200 laps) a workout.....sometimes more, sometimes less.

sog
January 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM
CRC = student's name for the Campus Recreation Center here at GA Tech = where they have the awesome olympic pool. I've been swimming there a few times a week lately and I'm up to 3 miles, which is what I did this afternoon.

Lump
January 10th, 2010, 09:59 PM
CRC = student's name for the Campus Recreation Center here at GA Tech = where they have the awesome olympic pool. I've been swimming there a few times a week lately and I'm up to 3 miles, which is what I did this afternoon.

Gotcha, most pools have "pet" names. So we just say Tech, Central, Mt. View, Dynamo, etc

Great pool, and where we are having Master Nationals at the end of May. You should come! Either as a member of the GA "Super Team" or just as a spectator. You will see some amazing swimming! Keep up the good work!

lmknight71
January 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM

Hello, sog. What is required for CRC pool access? Fees? GaTech affiliation?