PDA

View Full Version : workout periodization

swimsmart
June 11th, 2003, 12:37 AM
I'm trying to plan ahead, looking at what to focus on at different times of the season (short course peak meets, state and nationals, summer long course/triathlons, etc.) and I'm not sure where to go for reliable resources. I'm very big on technique, consistently doing a lot of drills at practices.

What I'm specifically looking for (I think) is how do I form the practices to where we are consistently working on different aspects of the technique, but also building up to top speeds and good endurance? :confused:

Any resources, i.e. books, videos, web-sites, would be helpful! TIA!

gull
June 13th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Have you read Swimming Fastest by Ernest Maglischo? The book was recommended by Mike Bottom at Cal and is both scientific and practical (and also very readable).

cjr
June 19th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Hi Swimsmart,

Here is a good website that can help guide you. This particular website will help you design workouts based off your abilities and goals.

http://www.swimmingcommunity.com/

Also you may want to obtain a copy of "The New Science of Swimming". It was written by James E. (Doc) Councilman and his son Brian Counsilman. This is a very easy read. Pay special attention to Chapters 11 & 12.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

sky_swimmer
February 7th, 2004, 12:18 PM
hey swimsmart:

My take is to use some of your workout to work on technique, and to use some working primarily on speed, endurance etc.

I think of them as different banks, and I deposit into the technique bank.... mostly with drills, or when doing a set that I call a THINK set... where the swimmer has to only think... this means working on perhaps EXTENTION, or CATCH, etc.

The other bank that I deposit into is the Speed bank. My concept is that both banks make you richer or 'faster'.

I suggest getting someone to video you, and go over the video. Look at shoulder and hip roll, crossing over on arm entry, length of pull, elbow bend during recovery, and kick.

When a swimmer 'sees' the issue, they can make bigger changes or bettah corrections.

sorry about the accent.

sky_swimmer