PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some assistane...

DamnYankee
June 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Looks like this site if set up for die-hard swimmers, so I hope it's ok I post here.

I'm a 34 year old male (crap - actually almost 35 :cane:), about 6'-1" and weigh about 220...I used to be pretty active with hiking and so on but moved to the Dallas area and it's just not really a hiking-friendly area. Anyway, I need to get in shape. I've got the love handles, my abs are hiding behind a layer of protective fat, and I've lost any stamina I had from my hiking days.

I would say the top drawing is a pretty good example of my body type lol:

file:///C:/Users/Moze/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/Users/Moze/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpgfile:///C:/Users/Moze/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpgfile:///C:/Users/Moze/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpgclick (http://www.taylorgifts.com/images/p35355b.jpg)

I joined my local 24 Hour Fitness with the intention of swimming laps to build endurance and strength and hopefully trim down in the process. I've been four times over the past week and a half or so. The first time I did four front crawl laps, second time I did five, third time I did 20, fourth time I did 30. All of these were done with brief rests/stretches between each lap. I felt totally weak and out of shape the first couple of visits. The last two I felt a lot better.

Lot of information I guess for a simple question...Am I on the right trail? Will swimming front crawls at least get my strength and stamina up and trim me up in the process?

I chose swimming because I enjoy it, I've been dealing with an on-going pinched nerve thing for some months now, and figured swimming would be a good way to reach my goals.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance...

dolf
June 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
http://www.taylorgifts.com/images/p35355b.jpg

Mate, you look pretty old for 34:afraid::)
I would suggest that once you've established some half decent fitness you should look at a couple of lessons or getting involved with some coached sessions.

I went along with a friend who's only recently started swim training for triathlon and with just an hour of my time and a few corrections to his stroke he was swimming much faster and more efficiently than before.

Look in the workouts section too. Swimming 30, 40, 50 lengths none stop will help with your general conditioning, but it's pretty boring! If you can plan out a session with interval and technique work you'll probably enjoy it more. Ask the teacher/coach too. But definately get some help with technique.

DamnYankee
June 15th, 2009, 12:41 PM
It definitely gets a little boring but not too bad. I just keep telling myself it will get me where I want to be.

I have a (very) limited grasp on the basics for butterfly, backstroke, etc. so some lessons would definitely be helpful.

Thank you for the reply.

orca1946
June 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Just keep at it!! One day soon you will like all the workouts!

Midas
June 15th, 2009, 11:45 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that swimming will get both your strength and stamina up, and will help you lose your love handles to boot. Keep it up!

FindingMyInnerFish
June 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I learned by accident that core work helps my swimming. Bad foot... PT... core work ... no improvement in foot, but swimming times have been going down! I do various strength/stretching work the PT prescribes, plus yoga once or twice a week.

bamueller
June 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Lot of information I guess for a simple question...Am I on the right trail? Will swimming front crawls at least get my strength and stamina up and trim me up in the process?

To answer your questions, yes and yes.

I grew up swimming in a household of swimmers. I gave up swimming and water polo midway thru high school b/c I was burnt out. I played football in college, and with that, I put on weight (304 lbs. at my heaviest). To lose weight after college, I began running and biking, but not swimming, b/c that meant I had to join a gym, and I was still burnt out.

I swear by swimming now. I've been back at it for almost a year, and I feel much better all around (physically, mentally, better health). Keep building up your base, set goals, break them, repeat. You'll notice that swimming will increase your lung power when hiking. It does for my jogging. I've lost over 60 pounds, and the majority of that is from swimming.

geochuck
June 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
There are a lot of coaches that burn people out of the game.